SiouxSports.com Forum

2 or 3 seed

AZSIOUX

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/yatc.php

i did many comparisons on the you are the commitee from USCHO. does not look like the sioux can really fall past a 3 seed from working different scenerios. they can move up though to a 2 seed with a few scenerios happening. 1st the sioux win today. thats a must to move up to a 2 seed. if not then we will get a 3 seed the way we are ranked as of now in the PWR. the 2 games that may have meaning are the harvard / cornell game. we should root for cornell. also the bc / new hampshire game. i believe we want bc to win do drop new hampshire. if harvard wins and new hampshire wins with all other favorites winning then we drop to 9th in the PWR..all of these scenerios are with the 3-2-1 bonus system..

ran more numbers, seems to be that new hampshire losing is the big factor in the sioux getting a 2 or 3 seed with a sioux win..GO BC

pretty much every scenerio with other teams if the sioux lose today, we would stay as a 3 seed

don't want to confuse anyone. just wated to check some numbers

ESPN 2 NCAA HOCKEY SELECTION SHOW SUNDAY 11:00 EASTERN TIME

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I posted in a different thread, I don't want to play BC. They are one team that I just don't think we have played great against in recent years and their fans go to the games when they are in the east. I really believe that we need to be out of the PWR 8 or 9 spot, even if we drop, because then we are probably not playing B.C. in the regional final.

Of course, maybe if BC loses and CC wins, CC would be the overall #1 and we'd be put in their region.

I really want to be in Denver's region and go CC!

These are the PWR implications of all 256 remaining combinations of wins and losses in the conference tournaments today. Unless the NCAA committee changes the rules, it appears that Wisconsin is in the tourney, since each of the 256 scenarios put them at least at 14th place. UND will finish between 6 and 12, the most likely result is 9th.

Sorry about the funky formatting--the board removed extra spaces so I had to add zeros.

team 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colorado Coll 128 128

Denver 0 38 120 98

Minnesota 0 0 0 96 107 53

North Dakota 0 0 0 0 0 13 44 53 138 0 4 4

Wisconsin 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 32 91 1 96 32

Credit to Charlie Shub from CC for this info.

1t Colorado College 25 2t 29-7-3 .7821 1 .5984*

1t Denver 25 5 27-9-2 .7368 2 .5860*

1t Boston College 25 4 24-6-7 .7432 3 .5846

4t Minnesota 22 11 26-14-1 .6463 7 .5692

4t Cornell 22 1 25-4-3 .8281 4 .5841*

6 Michigan 21 2t 29-7-3 .7821 5 .5756*

7t Harvard 19 8 21-8-3 .7031 9 .5665

7t New Hampshire 19 7 25-9-5 .7051 6 .5731

9 North Dakota 18 21 22-14-5 .5976 11 .5616

Sioux probably need Harvard or New Hampshire to lose to get the #8 seed. I'm not sure if New Hamphire losing to a #1 team will bump them down enough - probably a better chance if Harvard loses.

If I understand how they do things (which I likely do not) if the Sioux get the #8 seed and Denver beats CC - giving them the #1 seed, they should be in the same bracket - the #1 overall seed and the last overall #2 seed should be in the same bracket. Not sure if that makes any sense, I think I just confused myself ???

We can turn the Michigan comparison if they lose. Then if BC, and Cornell win we'd be #6 overall.

It really varies on who would be in our bracket due to bonus and the CC/DU game.

If DU wins, we could be in their bracket. But I just can't bring myself to cheer for them.

Cornell beats Harvard and the Sioux are a #2 seed.  The rest of the games just determine how high of a #2 seed they are.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hopefully Harvard is worn out by their 2 or 3 OT game they played last night.

BC won 3-1

UM won 3-2

INTERESTING STAT

All tourney title games were between #1 and #2.

UM, BC, BSU all won as #1's with DU and Cornell also leading.

The only #2 to win so far is Mercyhurst.

Kind of a weird stat when there has been talk about parity in various conferences.

if UNH loses they will probably drop down to 9 while the sioux will move up to 8....

if unh wins they probably move up to 7 and harvard would stay at 8

so i would rather be a 3 seed playing harvard than a 2 seed playing UNH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If all the games stay as they are currently and the matchups go strictly on seeding, UND would play OSU I think with UNH and Harvard playing each other.

Cornell just won 3-1.

Yes, UND has a #2 seed wrapped up. Also UND, OSU, UNH and Harvard will remain the same overall seed no matter who wins the WCHA championship. Nevermind my last post. ???

I'm not sure what Lucia was talking about in needing DU to lose as it looks like to me that if DU wins, the Gophers get a #1 seed. If CC wins, Cornell gets a #1 seed. Maybe I misunderstood what Lucia supposedly said.

If all the games stay as they are currently and the matchups go strictly on seeding, UND would play OSU I think with UNH and Harvard playing each other.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I get no matter the outcome of the CC/DU game. It also looks like we'll be in CC's bracket and DU will be with Minny. That is if the committee goes strictly by the PWR.

Do you suppose they'd send us and CC to Grand Rapids and send Mich. out east?

I don't want to get stuck playing in Minny or Amherst, because they both have the big sheet of ice and I think CC will be very hard to beat on that. Or, it'll be tough for us to play on that against anyone. We don't have the speed we used to and will probably be missing Murray.

Best guess:

Minneapolis

MN vs Wisco

Cornell vs Maine

Grand Rapids

CC vs Bemidji

OSU vs UNH

Amherst

BC vs. Mercyhurst

ND vs Harvard

Worcester

Denver vs Colgate

Mich vs BU

The only place to move 4 seed Wisco to avoid a conference matchup would be to AMherst to face BC; I doubt they'll give the overall 1 seed a tougher matchup than one of the last two teams in (Mercyhurst, Bemidji). So, I think Wisco will face MN in Marriucci in the first round. Don't think they'll keep Mich in Michigan.

Overall seeding (3,2,1 bonus) is:

1-BC

2-CC

3-Denver

4-MN

5-Cornell

6-Mich

7-UNH

8-UND

9-Harvard

10-OSU

11-BU

12-Maine

13-Wisco

14-Colgate

15-Bemidji

16-Mercyhurst

Can someone say definitively whether Minnesota or Cornell gets the final #1 seed?  Who wins the tie-breaker if they are tied for 4th in PWR?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't believe they are tied but I think the higher RPI wins. I think MN is a 1 seed, depending on the quality win bonuses, MN has 1 road, 1 home, Cornell has 1 neutral, adding in at 3,2,1 this tips a comparison and MN ends up 4, Cornell 5. I'm making a lot of guesses here, since I haven't followed the bracketology and reasoning that closely. Just have to wait until 10AM tomorrow, or see if Wooten or someone else has it figured out on USCHO.