SiouxSports.com Forum

Why the WCHA should feel shame

PCM

Here are some interesting quotes from Paukovich and Gwozdeckey in a Jan. 27 article in the Rocky Mountain News.

"I think I've been kind of victimized by the fact I'm 6-4," said Paukovich, a second-round pick (57th overall) of the Edmonton Oilers in the NHL entry draft in June. "I think there's been a few penalties where it's been mostly because I'm a bigger guy hitting a smaller guy; it looks worse than it actually is.

"I've talked to the coaches and as long as it's not a dumb penalty or a retaliatory penalty, they can live with that."

------------------------

But both admit to being frustrated when a legal hit is administered only to watch a referee raise his arm to call another penalty.

"Because of where Geoff's shoulders are and where his elbows are, sometimes he can come up to a much smaller player and give him a legal body check, but because of who he is and the physical presence he has, a lot of times the smaller player is given the benefit of the doubt," Gwozdecky said.

-------------------------

Paukovich gives DU the kind of physical presence it has not had in some time and Gwozdecky does not plan on trying to rein him in.

That is fine with Paukovich, who played with the U.S. National Team Developmental Program last year.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, there is no way that the DU player even thought about how far Robbie was from the boards when he hit him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. There was no thought involved. And that's the problem.

Maybe this has been said already but this is a complete and total injustice to see Geoff PUNKoBitch from Denver get one game suspension and he is back to gooning this game up again in no time and Bina is done with hockey forever. Hey WCHA wake up here and send a f***ing message about this kind of hit. There is no place in hockey for cheap shots as the game of hockey there is injury caused by inadvertent action and collision.

My prayers are with Robbie Bina on a speedy recovery!

I'm with PCM. Because it is such a high-speed game, the onus is on the players to be aware of their actions at all times, whether it's checking from behind, high sticking, etc.

It comes down to four simple words: Respect for your opponent.

I'm with PCM. Because it is such a high-speed game, the onus is on the players to be aware of their actions at all times, whether it's checking from behind, high sticking, etc.

It comes down to four simple words: Respect for your opponent.

I'm with PCM and you.

The onus is on the players, and if the DU player is any kind of human being he is thinking about that hit. It is a reality check. I would imagine that he has hit guys from behind like that 100's of times in his hockey career, and this is probably the first time a player has been seriously injurred. People often do dangerous possibly lethal things that aren't filled with intent to injur but result that way. How many people do you know who right around .10 drive home? It would take a DWI or an accident to affect them, and even if that is the case it doesn't change the activity of their buddy doing the same thing. The game is brutal and violent and injuries are a part of it. It is just very unfortunate when injuries result from infractions. I will keep stating that my thoughts are with Robbie for a full recovery.

I with PCM as well but the most disturbing thing to me and it may have already been mentioned a few times but I can't say it enough. There was a DELAYED PENALTY ON THE PLAY AND THE PLAY IS BLOWN DEAD THE MOMENT A UND PLAYER TOUCHES THE PUCK. ANYONE WITH HALF A BRAIN SHOULD KNOW THAT THAT ISN'T THE TIME YOU NEED TO FINISH YOUR CHECK!!!!! ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU CAN READ #28.

And why would you expect him to have to think about it when at worst the WCHA Ref would give him a minor for his effort.  Thats an even bigger problem

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which comes back to the original and most important point. I recognize that players make mistakes, that bad things happen because of bad luck and that hockey is a physical game. I don't believe that Paukovich intended to hurt Bina.

But I also recognize that there's a reason the game has rules. And if you don't enforce the rules, you don't have much of a game.

Here are some interesting quotes from Paukovich and Gwozdeckey in  a Jan. 27 article in the Rocky Mountain News.

------------------------

-------------------------

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The unfortunate thing is, in some ways Geoff is right. Don't tell me some of the penalties Matt Smaby and Matt Greene have earned were because he was intentionally trying to take the guy's head off. There is a height disadvantage for tall hockey players and Geoff talked about it.

That being said, does height really matter when you have a head of steam coming from behind on a player with his head down?

I would imagine that he has hit guys from behind like that 100's of times in his hockey career, and this is probably the first time a player has been seriously injurred.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you see the hit? Because I don't undertand how you could have seen the hit and still make such a statement.

The onus is on the players, and if the DU player is any kind of human being he is thinking about that hit.  It is a reality check.  I would imagine that he has hit guys from behind like that 100's of times in his hockey career, and this is probably the first time a player has been seriously injurred.  People often do dangerous possibly lethal things that aren't filled with intent to injur but result that way.  How many people do you know who right around .10 drive home?  It would take a DWI or an accident to affect them, and even if that is the case it doesn't change the activity of their buddy doing the same thing.  The game is brutal and violent and injuries are a part of it.  It is just very unfortunate when injuries result from infractions.  I will keep stating that my thoughts are with Robbie for a full recovery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And if your local police force didn't have a solid DUI program, I would wager that more people would take that chance and drive home drunk. Which further supports the notion that we need someone to actively and accurately enforce the hockey rules in the WCHA.

I did see the hit, but admittedly; I had a few pops in me. I just remember seeing it and then knowing immediately what happened and being sick to my stomach and hoping the best for Bina. I have hit and been hit in very similar fashions. I once broke a stick (thank God for wood sticks) in my stomach because I was trying to dig the puck out of a corner and got ran from behind in such a way that my stick jammed against the boards and my own stick's butt was forced into my stomach. I remember seeing blood on my jersey and being scared to look. How do referees impact the game? I honestly don't think that they can do nearly the job that allowing fighting can. I never once changed how I played because of a ref. I never once thought about whether or not a ref would or wouldn't call something. You do little stuff all game, a little holding of the stick, a little slash, a little hook. It is part of the game. Refs should not, in my opinion, call penalties unless a play can result in serious injury or directly influences a scoring opportunity. Intent should be considered and punished more severely.

I did see the hit, but admittedly; I had a few pops in me.  I just remember seeing it and then knowing immediately what happened and being sick to my stomach and hoping the best for Bina. I have hit and been hit in very similar fashions.  I once broke a stick (thank God for wood sticks) in my stomach because I was trying to dig the puck out of a corner and got ran from behind in such a way that my stick jammed against the boards and my own stick's butt was forced into my stomach.  I remember seeing blood on my jersey and being scared to look.  How do referees impact the game?  I honestly don't think that they can do nearly the job that allowing fighting can.  I never once changed how I played because of a ref.  I never once thought about whether or not a ref would or wouldn't call something.  You do little stuff all game, a little holding of the stick, a little slash, a little hook.  It is part of the game.  Refs should not, in my opinion, call penalties unless a play can result in serious injury or directly influences a scoring opportunity.  Intent should be considered and punished more severely.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I especially agree with what you said about intent...and anytime you hit someone from behind, the intent is already there...

You do little stuff all game, a little holding of the stick, a little slash, a little hook. It is part of the game. Refs should not, in my opinion, call penalties unless a play can result in serious injury or directly influences a scoring opportunity.

Then change the rule book. Because until that happens, everything you mentioned, while maybe a part of hockey, is against the rules!

The bottom line is call the game according to the rule book. Make it black and white. If the game is called according to the rules, it removes all of this garbage of players not knowing what they can and can't get away with. Consistent officiating will ultimately result in a more consistently enjoyable game.

You do little stuff all game, a little holding of the stick, a little slash, a little hook.  It is part of the game.  Refs should not, in my opinion, call penalties unless a play can result in serious injury or directly influences a scoring opportunity.

Holding the Stick

SECTION 25. A player shall not hold an opponent

The thing is, that calling penalties will not change the way these guys play. It will just make the game less fun to watch. If you enforce every infraction you see it will result in tons of penalties and then eventually a game where you remove all defense. If you want to see nothing but wild moves and scoring or spectacular saves, just change the game to a shootout.

Telling refs to call everything won't stop the little stuff. I equate the little stuff on the ice to driving 5 mph over the speed limit. Besides, most of these guys have been playing organized hockey for 15 years. They have habits and do things that they have developed over many years. You aren't going to break that habit by calling a penalty. If the game is going to change it has to start at the ice mite level and be reinforced the entire way up. I hate cheap play and I hate players hanging all over skill players. I just think that if you call a slash every time a player takes a whack at another player's stick or a cross check every time a defender knocks down a forward trying to get position in front of his net you really take away from the game. You end up with a second period like UND vs UMN in the third place game. The game is very physical and there is a lot of little crap that goes on all over the rink. If you want guys to play defense you have to let some little stuff go. Otherwise you will have scores like in a park game. No one will backcheck, no one will want to go in the corners. It would not be hockey if it was enforced so closely. You let incidentals go and call penalties on plays that could result in injury or directly affect the play at hand. The refs talk a lot out there too. I can think of millions of times where I've heard ..two, three, four..let him go...now; or watch the stick 9, or that's almost a hook..your hooking him, knock it off. ANyway, that is the last of my rant. I like a clean game, but I don't like the idea of calling every minor infraction. DO you want to get a speeding ticket every time you go 1 mph over? You'd never get where you want to go. Same with hockey.

DO you want to get a speeding ticket every time you go 1 mph over?

No, I don't want a speeding ticket.

What ever shall I do to prevent it? :0

How about don't break the rule because it is enforced.

You'd never get where you want to go.

Let's see, from Exit 67 to Exit 140 on I-29 is 73 miles. At 75 mph that takes 58.4 minutes. At 80 mph that takes 54.75 minutes. At 85 mph it takes 51.5 minutes. Am I willing to risk a +10 mph ticket for seven minutes of gain? You can lose that at a train track or a couple of stop lights.

What's the risk (+10 mph ticket) and reward (7 minutes) worth to you?

I'd rather be smart, leave early, and play within the rules (75 mph).

How's that apply to hockey?

I'd rather be smart, leave early (by being quicker or having a better path to the puck, and not getting interfered with on that smarter path), and play within the rules.

That's the way the game was intended. How do I know this? Because that's how the rulebook was written.

The game evolves. Equipment changes, training changes, innovation occurs. Change is inevitable. The refs interpret the rulebook. As far as being quicker to the puck or in better position? Do you just surrender goals every time that happens? Any player worth his salt who knows anything about puck protection could score at will if the rules were enforced to the letter. Or if another player is a half-step faster or stronger up top or is a better position when the puck takes a funny bounce, am I just supposed to give up? Do you want offensive holding called on every play in football too? It happens every single play. I don't advocate cheap play, but there is so much going on you don't see. If you think the WCHA is bad you should try a shift in the MJHL.