SiouxSports.com Forum

Why the WCHA should feel shame

PCM

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gwoz has supspended Punkovich for the Bemidji game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good move on Gwozdecky's part. I would have had more respect for him if he would have taken Paukovich out of the Sioux game. Not only would it have shown some class, it would have been a wise thing to do. I couldn't believe that he'd put him back on the ice after the hit on Bina. That was almost as incomprehensible to me as Adam's two-minute minor.

Good move on Gwozdecky's part. I would have had more respect for him if he would have taken Paukovich out of the Sioux game. Not only would it have shown some class, it would have been a wise thing to do. I couldn't believe that he'd put him back on the ice after the hit on Bina. That was almost as incomprehensible to me as Adam's two-minute minor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good deal. We don't have to worry about him maiming a BSU player at least.

CSTV

I seen where Sprig had mentioned that Punkovich was suspended for the Bemidji game. Here's the link to the story on CSTV.

I can't say anything bad about the action except that it is not soon enough and not long enough...

I'm sure the Sicatoka's idea doesn't sound stupid to Robbie Bina's family and teammates. However, I don't think it's a practical approach.

What I think is practical would be if the NCAA treated boarding just as it treats fighting. Let's face it: Few players are ever seriously injured in fights. But every time boarding occurs, there's a potential life-threatening or career-ending outcome.

That's why I think that if one player boards another player, the ref should have no discretion in assessing a major or a minor penalty. It should automatically be a major penalty. And as with fighting, every time a player engages in boarding, he should get an extra game added to his suspension time.

I'd go so far as to say that if a player received three boarding penalties in a season, he's done for the season. And if he did it two seasons in a row, his college hockey career would be over. I see no value whatsoever in keeping chronic boarders in college hockey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with your idea PCM but I would like to see it tweaked a little. You are right on point with the statement that fighting is an automatic major yet there seems to be little risk of SERIOUS injury, unlike boarding which we unfortunately know all too well carries greater risk.

The problem is, fighting is cut and dried. Nothing left to the imagination. A boarding call in some instances is a grey area. What if the player being boarded was actually turning up ice, and had since left a vulnerable position but the ref didn't catch it?

If you want to make it an automatic major, fine. With regards to keeping players out for the rest of seasons or even careers I think the league should step in and review the tape. If after reviewing the tape the league deems it was in fact worthy of a major then that counts as a strike in your system. This would satisfy your idea of penalizing players like Paukovich (even though you did not single him out) and wouldn't jeopardize the season or career of players who were simply victims of a bad call (there's been a few of those in the WCHA, eh :sad: )

Does anyone else feel like Growzdecky gave the extra game just because his reputation has taken a beating this week? I mean it's Wednesday already. He's had over four days to do this.

Better yet, what does this now say to the WCHA and Adam that his own coach says

"Hitting from behind in our sport is not condoned by the student-athletes or the coaches within the Pioneer hockey program."

Not to stick up for Gwoz or anything, but he had no idea the extent of Robbie's injury during the game. I know that isn't much of an excuse, but maybe he thought it wasn't potentially-career ending? I know the hit was awful, I saw it, it should never be condoned, but it's just a thought.

Does anyone else feel like Growzdecky gave the extra game just because his reputation has taken a beating this week?  I mean it's Wednesday already.  He's had over four days to do this.

Better yet, what does this now say to the WCHA and Adam that his own coach says

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gwozpunky had to wait to see who DU drew in the first game of the NCAA's, then wait long enough to try to not make it look obvious. Gwozpunky and Punkovich have their's coming, and when it gets there, it's gonna be a lu-lu.

Not to stick up for Gwoz or anything, but he had no idea the extent of Robbie's injury during the game. I know that isn't much of an excuse, but maybe he thought it wasn't potentially-career ending? I know the hit was awful, I saw it, it should never be condoned, but it's just a thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not flaming here RWTD, but would you make the same statement about someone getting home safe after driving blitzed? They could say the same thing that they didn't think it was all that bad or life threateining. After all they made it home. Or so they may think.

After the fact review and miniscule punishment cannot be condoned. The WCHA should feel shame and now it apparently does as they are feeling societies backlash. It is always tougher to see the problem when you are already incensed and within the box.

I'm not flaming here RWTD, but would you make the same statement about someone getting home safe after driving blitzed? They could say the same thing that they didn't think it was all that bad or life threateining. After all they made it home. Or so they may think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm saying this more to the "too little, too late" people. Maybe he enforced a stricter punishment after the fact once he realized what the guy actually did to Bina. I'm not saying it's right, just trying to speculate why there was a delay in punishment.