SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Gophs

WPoS

I sort of like the idea of walking out and forfieting, or at least playing under protest - we don't really need a third game in 48 hours, or to lose more players. If done under the explanation that the WCHA has wholly and consistently failed to enforce the rules and protect its student athletes, perhaps it would garner some media attention and result in some good.

I think what we all want is a game where hooking is called hooking, holding is called holding, and checking from behind into the boards after a play is dead is a more severe penalty than either.

John

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sort of like the idea of walking out and forfieting, ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I realize that they are beaten, exhausted, shorthanded, and in their third game in 48 hrs, but that isn't a reason to lay down and die. UND is the best hockey program in the country, and they are playing their biggest rival. We are all concerned about Bina and I'm sure whatever heart the team hasn't poured onto the ice already is with him, but Minnesota is a beatable team even in this situation and they have no reason to expect to lose this game.

Whatever happens I am extremely proud to be a Sioux fan after their showing in these playoffs. After the way the season has gone, the heart and effort they showed these last couple weekends has been something to see. The depleted Sioux squad, even with the weak penalties, managed to take the best team the country into a tight overtime game. Good luck to them against the gophers, and if there is one team I hope to see the Sioux play in the NCAA's it is Denver.

Comments such as "We should forfeit" or "this game doesn't mean anything anyway" are the comments of non-competitors. I would like to believe that the Sioux players and coaches have so much pride in the program that they will rally and give their best no matter how difficult the situation. This is the way of competitive sports at the D1 level, for sure. Those of you that feel otherwise, I would suggest you start following the performing arts program at the Fritz, where performers can dodge difficult situations and maybe call for an understudy to fill in if they have a tummyache, etc.

Sioux - Gophers hockey! Bring it on!

Frankly I don't the Sioux will give much of a rip about this meaningless game - I know I don't.  Under different circumstances I would think differently being it is the Gophers, but there are more important things on the everyones' minds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what you are saying is that the Sioux have no chance, even if they win, to secure a #2 seed, so they should just lay down against the Gophers?

I realize that they are beaten, exhausted, shorthanded, and in their third game in 48 hrs, but that isn't a reason to lay down and die. UND is the best hockey program in the country, and they are playing their biggest rival. We are all concerned about Bina and I'm sure whatever heart the team hasn't poured onto the ice already is with him, but Minnesota is a beatable team even in this situation and they have no reason to expect to lose this game.

Whatever happens I am extremely proud to be a Sioux fan after their showing in these playoffs. After the way the season has gone, the heart and effort they showed these last couple weekends has been something to see. The depleted Sioux squad, even with the weak penalties, managed to take the best team the country into a tight overtime game. Good luck to them against the gophers, and if there is one team I hope to see the Sioux play in the NCAA's it is Denver.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't disagree with anything you've posted, but was thinking of the NCAA tournament, where I believe the Sioux can beat anybody if they are healthier instead of more beaten up than they are presently. I also think something needs to be done to fix a long history of poor officating, and don't know how to get the WCHA to take the problem seriously.

The third place game is always a tough game to watch, because the fans aren't in it and energy seems to be up-and-down, bit I'm on my way out the door right now to cheer for the Sioux.

John

What about both teams getting together and argeeing to a little protest on the ice tonight?? After they drop the opening puck, just have nobody touch it for like a minute, just let it sit on the ice and they all stand around it. Isn't it time that the officals get the message that they want the officals to call games right?? Having two bitter rivals not going after each other for a minute is sure to draw some attention by the media, even the East Coast ESPN perhaps. ???

What about both teams getting together and argeeing to a little protest on the ice tonight??  After they drop the opening puck, just have nobody touch it for like a minute, just let it sit on the ice and they all stand around it.  Isn't it time that the officals get the message that they want the officals to call games right??  Having two bitter rivals not going after each other for a minute is sure to draw some attention by the media, even the East Coast ESPN perhaps.  ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like that idea. But the other team would have to agree and it could become a whole bluff type incident.

Greene says the guys are distracted and Bina is on everyones' minds. Says that some of them found out really late last night and then the rest at the morning meal.

Greene says that he has a broken neck and will need surgery.

Looks like the WCHA will try and sweep this incident under the rug, they feel their 1 game suspension was enough and they want everyone to move on. This is not a call where people are disputing a goal or an offsides call, this is a play that is affecting the health of a player. It just really boggles my mind that a one game suspension for such a vicious hit is enough.