SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Tournament Expansion

Zypher

The last time the NCAA expanded the National Tournament was back in 2003 to 16 teams (62 D1 Teams). Prior to that, in 1988 they expanded to 12 teams from 8, which began in 1981.

Currently there are 64 active teams, with 4 more teams currently either evaluating, or have stated plans to move to/or to create a D1 team. Utica - 2024, Tennessee State -2025, Binghamton University – 2024 (last team folded 1987), Simon Frazer University - 2024/2025 (past team folded 2005) Add to that, UCLA, USC, and Washington all currently have teams that play in the ACHC, and all three had past D1 teams, about 80 years ago, and are moving to the Big10, which has its own conference, making the move to re-activate to D1 possible. (none of the new incoming schools have announced what sports they are planning on bringing along) This could bring the number to over 70 teams.

At what point does the NCAA expand the field to 20 teams similar to like they do in basketball, having the bottom 8 (13-20) play one another (13/20,14/19,15/18,16/17), one group in each regional, in a similar fashion, just as they will start in D1 football this upcoming season. 

I think a lot of things have changed in college sports, and college hockey is no exception. The NCAA added the bubble teams to basketball, and well as expanded the football playoffs, to add in teams into the mix, that in all honesty, should be in the mix for the title. I think after 20+ years, it is time to expand and add a play-in spot to each regional.

*****Edit******

I forgot to originally put in, that in the play-in games, conference affiliation is out the window! You could have two teams from the same conference fighting it out to get into the national tournament.

What are your thoughts?

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Leave it as is for now. But if we get above 75 teams or so, then maybe think of going to 20.

I think the number of auto bids would be a huge factor as well.  An additional conference or two would make a huge difference.  Say, if Atlantic hockey splits and if independents somehow cobble together another conference - would only need a few more teams for something like that to happen. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Leave it as is for now. But if we get above 75 teams or so, then maybe think of going to 20.

Ok, but might I ask why you think leaving it at 16 teams is good for now? Almost all other NCAA sports tournaments have been modified in the last 10 years with the exception of Hockey. 

Just now, Zypher said:

Ok, but might I ask why you think leaving it at 16 teams is good for now? Almost all other NCAA sports tournaments have been modified in the last 10 years with the exception of Hockey. 

I think expanding tournaments too much could water down the product. The NCAA hockey tournament is one of the most competitive in all of collegiate sports. I don't want to go down the road of the Basketball tournament.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think expanding tournaments too much could water down the product. The NCAA hockey tournament is one of the most competitive in all of collegiate sports. I don't want to go down the road of the Basketball tournament.

I get what you’re saying. 

53 minutes ago, Zypher said:

There are 351 teams in NCAA Basketball...68 make the tournament. 32 get autobids and 36 make it at large. Right now, hockey is at 6 and 10.

I think if you had 8 conferences with auto bids then that might be the time to add 4 teams to the field as hopefully the number of teams has increased as well. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

NCAA mens basketball currently lists 351 teams.  Their tourney allows 68 teams which is just over 19%.  Men's hockey allows 16 of it's 64 members into the tournament which is 25%.  Unless a bunch more teams join, I don't see a need to expand the tournament.

I guess i should have scrolled before responding.