SiouxSports.com Forum

Take this Fighting Sioux

Goon

This why I have no respect for this program. Dahl the other day, says oh if Zack scores 50 points this season hell be gone, sounds like he is begging. #uck you Dahl. Dahl gets his players to win now, but chockes when it matters the most.

9 November, 2002

College hockey: Huskies hammer UND

By Kevin Allenspach

kallenspach@stcloudtimes.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason North Dakota was ranked fifth this week is because no one had been able to stop the Sioux, and especially wunderkind Zach Parise.

Until now.

The Sioux ran smack dab into seniors Ryan Malone and Jon Cullen, both of whom returned after missing games the past two weekends with injuries, and the 15th-ranked St. Cloud State Huskies blasted North Dakota for a 7-3 victory Friday night at the National Hockey Center.

Malone had a hat trick and two assists and Cullen scored a goal and set up four others. They figured in three of four third-period goals that broke open a 3-3 tie. And when they weren't making both Sioux goalies look bad, they combined with senior Joe Motzko to hold Parise and his linemates Brandon Bochenski and Quinn Fylling pointless and a combined minus-8.

"I know (Parise) - he's a great kid," said Malone, who went to Shattuck-St. Mary's - the same prep school that produced Parise, who had a nation-leading 20 points entering Friday's game. "Obviously, he's got a lot of skill. But he hasn't played a team like ours and, as seniors, it's our last year. You don't want a young guy to come in and embarrass us on our home ice. We tried to limit their chances - that whole line. All we wanted to be was plus-1 or plus-2 against them and have some other guys chip in. It worked out a little better than that."

Yah.

Malone and Cullen fell one point short of the school record of six points in a game - a trick turned by five players. The only one in school history to do it against a WCHA team was Fred Knipscheer on Dec. 5, 1992, against Colorado College.

And Motzko, almost forgotten in the equation, had a goal and two assists.

"You don't expect to score all the goals we had, but that was the game plan - we went against their (top) line," said Cullen, back from a shoulder injury. "A lot of times when lines like that score a lot, they're susceptible defensively. We played good defense first and everything else after that we'll take as a bonus."

The only other St. Cloud State goal scorer was freshman defenseman Tim Conboy, who connected on two third-period slap shots.

St. Cloud State holds a 21-6 scoring edge in the last three games against the Sioux - all at the Hockey Center, where St. Cloud State hasn't lost to North Dakota since Nov. 28, 1998.

"Their first line played really, really well," Sioux junior defenseman David Hale said. "I don't know what it is but the scores have been similar the last few times we've been down here. Maybe it's a curse or something. We'll turn it around (today). The character we have on this team is going to show up (today). It's going to be interesting to see how we come out."

North Dakota, missing four players sitting out a one-game suspension from a fight last Saturday, suffered its first loss of the season. And Parise had never been held to fewer than two assists - until his WCHA debut Friday.

Just listen to this idiot. Classic Dahl...

"People can say all they want - it's a junior-senior league," said Huskies coach Craig Dahl, whose team won its fourth consecutive win over the Sioux - dating to the 6-5 overtime win in the 2001 WCHA championship game. "Unless you're a real blue-chipper, you've got to pay your dues. Juniors and seniors seem to dominate nine times out of 10. This was a great performance by our older players. You've got to have them in the lineup. It's critical."

Another senior who had to come up big was goalie Jake Moreland, who was a stickboy for the Sioux when he grew up in Grand Forks. St. Cloud State was outshot for the first time this season, 43-25. Despite a couple of soft goals, he slammed the door on 15 shots in the third period.

"You can let up a soft one like all goalies will, but then you've got to come back and battle and be mentally tough," Dahl said. "We talked about that this week, and we talked about it after the first 40 minutes. I told him 'Dude, that 40 minutes is over. Let's worry about the next 20.' He got the job done."

The Huskies gave a crowd of 6,479 fans, their 31st consecutive sellout, reason to feel good 31/2 minutes into the game when Motzko deked around a Sioux defenseman and wristed a shot over goalie Josh Siembida. Malone then scored on a delayed penalty. Motzko was checked into the net, where he lodged against Siembida, just before Malone's shot hit the top left corner.

North Dakota clicked on the power play early in the second period, but Malone responded with a highlight-reel goal. A Sioux drop pass went awry at the Huskies blue line and Motzko kept the puck away from a North Dakota forechecker long enough to find Malone streaking down the right wing. Malone took the pass, which was behind him, and brought the puck ahead between his legs. He skated in and beat Siembida low before skidding into the left post.

The Sioux added unassisted and power-play goals to tie it. But the Huskies blew the doors open with four goals in an eight-minute span early in the third. Malone scored his third goal on a breakaway, and then gave a Captain Morgan salute as the hats rained on the ice.

"Not playing last weekend (was a motivating factor)," said Malone, who suffered a hip injury two weeks ago. "Watching the (pregame introductions) last weekend was hard. On the road, missing games doesn't seem like such a big deal. Here, you miss being out there with the crowd getting into it.

"(Tonight) is a whole new game, though. They're going to have (senior forward Kevin) Spiewak and (junior forward Ryan) Hale out there. I know Spiewak from Omaha (where Malone played in the USHL) and I know Hale from juniors, too.

"I'm sure they're going to be jacked up."

Post on POI from someone who was at the game said Cullen's stick spent more time between Parise' legs than his cup. May see a lot of this during the year.

Isn't it good to know that the WCHA is cracking down on interference this season? :D

Isn't it good to know that the WCHA is cracking down on interference this season? :D

Here is my problem. Everytime Don Adam does a game he seems to have it in for UND and calls UND a ton of penalties and the oppostion gets away with murder. I am sorry but I have watched enough games to see that this is happening.

I think the league needs to look into this and maybe think about not letting Adam reffing UND games. Especially after he made that comments about Commodore. Its eveident last night that I guess the SCSU player rams the Goalie and SCCC still gets the goal. What kind of crap is that? Biased officiating.

To add to this Dahl better enjoy his little run I no doubt in my mind that UND is going to be clobbering some team bad the next couple of years...

I was not at the game, but I have to agree with Goon, Hennesey tried to give Adams the benifit of the doubt and stated that maybe a Sioux player pushed the Hu"squad" player into the net. Unfortunatley for Adam there was TV coverage. After reviewing the replay Hennesey had to bite his tongue, radio must have a no comment clause of sorts as well. I especially appreciated the call of Hennesey just before the scsquad breakaway, Parise is tackled, losses the puck, its passed up ice........

I was not at the game, but I have to agree with Goon, Hennesey tried to give Adams the benifit of the doubt and stated that maybe a Sioux player pushed the Hu"squad" player into the net. Unfortunatley for Adam there was TV coverage. After reviewing the replay Hennesey had to bite his tongue, radio must have a no comment clause of sorts as well. I especially appreciated the call of Hennesey just before the scsquad breakaway, Parise is tackled, losses the puck, its passed up ice........

So that was the deal, I wounder if the radio has been put on notice not to criticize the refs but I think someone needs to look into Donny Adams performance on the ice.

And another thing I thought that Adam was giving up reffing to run a officating school. I guess all bets are off now...

Scary to think what he might teach in a ref school. Radio said he came out of retirement.

Now I feel better, it sucks to be us when he is officiating the game, Adam, slowed the flow of the game down with his parade of player to the penalty box...

So that was the deal, I wounder if the radio has been put on notice not to criticize the refs but I think someone needs to look into Donny Adams performance on the ice.

And another thing I thought that Adam was giving up reffing to run a officating school. I guess all bets are off now...

My wife and I were confused on the second St. Cloud goal as well. What clearly seemed like goaltender interference resulted in barely a mention by Terhar (sp?) on ch 45. I figured the Husky was pushed into the net by a Siou-- er-- excuse me, UND player. But, the replay didn't show that.

Terhar just said something to the effect that the player had no time to get out of the net, so there's no interference. That made even less sense.

Anyway, I hate to whine about that crap 'cause the Sioux got their butts handed to them on Friday. I was just confused as to why that didn't result in a review...??

Excellent win tonight. Showed some grit from this team that was missing from last year. The "loaded" Sioux team has not lost yet!

taz

Dahl has recruited some of the best players in the WCHA in the past, only to have them leave early without a Title. So, does this "Junior-Senior" league nonsense mean that UND, Minnesota and other teams with alot of younger players are screwed? :D

Then again, "talent only takes you so far" ... like a short-return ticket from the NC$$ tourney with a "Participant" ribbon. What an idiot.

I love it.

Sioux fans, most of whom would rather spit at a Gopher fan than shake his hand (hyperbole, you guys are great) are ripping into the SCSU program and using the Gophers (along with the Sioux) as an example of a solid program. :D I feel the love, at least until January!

What's next? :0

I agree with Dahl's comments about the WCHA being a junior-senior league. The Gophers were a perfect example of that last year. They had a very good group of underclassmen but it was their older guys that carried them to the championship. Leopold, Pohl and Taffe carried those guys through the stretch run. Conversely, the juniors and seniors were invisible at the end of the season for St. Cloud and they paid for it by another one and done appearance in the NCAA's.

Parise and Bochenksi are carrying the Sioux right now but they are going to need guys like Spiewak, Noterman and Lundbohm to step up if they are going to make some noise in March.

I was going to post this when i got back from st cloud. I read the first article where dahl called parise "the bluest of blue chippers" and then said if parise gets 50 points he is gone. Who makes comments like that? Then after friday's game he implies that parise isn't a true blue chipper. What kind of idiot comment is that?

Since this has turned into a referendum on Coach Dahl, I can chip in with my opinion that I have no problem with the guy. I think I have probably said just about the same thing before - the junior-senior league thing.

I also think it's pretty amazing that the SC program is where it is; there's really no reason it should be any more successful than Ferris, Miami, Western Michigan, UAA, Michigan Tech or any non-major school. But they are pretty consistently near the top now. I also think it's safe to like him there, in much the same way I didn't mind Woog staying at MN.

But that's just my opinion.

Since this has turned into a referendum on Coach Dahl, I can chip in with my opinion that I have no problem with the guy. I think I have probably said just about the same thing before - the junior-senior league thing.

I also think it's pretty amazing that the SC program is where it is; there's really no reason it should be any more successful than Ferris, Miami, Western Michigan, UAA, Michigan Tech or any non-major school. But they are pretty consistently near the top now. I also think it's safe to like him there, in much the same way I didn't mind Woog staying at MN.

But that's just my opinion.

You know your right, I guess you have a point, I kind of like the job he is doing for SCSU, 0-5 for the national tourney. to me that is pretty good. :D

Happy with just making the NCAA's if thats all they want to accomplish that is fine with me. :0

What a bunch of whiners. I thought that the Sioux fans had class but after reading the comments here and seeing the fans at last nights Sioux victory I guess they are no different than gopher fans. Blame the officals when you lose, cry and throw things when you are behind, belittle your opponents and gloat when you win. Adams was brutal to both sides both nights. End of story!!

What a bunch of whiners. I thought that the Sioux fans had class but after reading the comments here and seeing the fans at last nights Sioux victory I guess they are no different than gopher fans. Blame the officals when you lose, cry and throw things when you are behind, belittle your opponents and gloat when you win. Adams was brutal to both sides both nights. End of story!!

Huskie I was woundering when you were going to make your appearance. :D

Hey Goon, what do you just sit around waiting for my post. That was quick!!   :D

Yep, I was sitting around waiting for your post in addition to watching my fantasy football team take a crap again. Add to that the Vikes suck again this weekend. The Sioux win is the only thing good that has happened to me this weekend.

I see it this way friday night it was just a bad night plain & simple. Hey we did rebound from that saturday night after a win is a win. I don't that to be honest with you but who ever said it was right. Second, Huskie at least you & Goon along with myself do have one thing we all have a certain hate for Gopher fans. Sometimes they are just as bad as thoes Tenn. Vols fans. Goon you're right about one thing the Vikings do suck hey I saw them last week when they play the Bucs. In closing "I'M GATOR & I'M OUT." Always remember folks "LIFE HAPPENS."

Whoa, was it just me, or was that a hard post to read? Sorry, don't mean to be the grammar police. :D

This is a junior and senior league, which is one reason why the WCHA is arguably the best Division I college hockey league. If freshmen could consistently come in and outplay the veteran players, that's not saying much about the development of players throughout the four years of eligibility, which in my mind, doesn't make for a tough league.

However, I was surprised to read Dahl's quote that if Parise gets 50 points, he guarantees that he is gone for the NHL. I don't think any coach can guarantee what Zach, or any other player for that matter, is going to do. U2Bad1 is right, though, he contradicts himself in his interviews when he says that Zach is the bluest of blue chippers, but then after keeping him to 0 points on Friday night, says, "You can say all you want--it's a junior-senior league. Unless you're a real blue-chipper, you've got to pay your dues." So is he, or isn't he a blue-chipper? We all knew Parise's scoring frenzy would slow down once he entered WCHA play. He's still learning. That doesn't mean he didn't play a good game, though. He made some really nice passes to Bochenski, but Brandon seemed to be off on his shot Friday night. He had some good chances that didn't go in, when normally he'd be lighting the lamp.

Goon, you sound like you're getting a little thinskinned. Zach Parise is an obvious star-in-the-making, he'll probably get drafted in the first two rounds in the NHL next year. Dahl said if he scores 50 points he's probably gone. He didn't say that was the right decision, but if the Red Wings wave a $1 million signing bonus at him, he will think about it. He also comments, correctly that the WCHA is predominatly a upperclassmen league (See DU, UM-TC, UND, CC recently). You act like if Dahl said your wife is a babe, he must have realy meant she has a huge rack and what the hell is she doing with you. :0 You need to come down to the Husky Golf Tournament and releive some stress. BTW, you don't have and extra four tickets you can spare for the SCSU/UND series at the Ralph, do ya? :D

Goon, you sound like you're getting a little thinskinned. Zach Parise is an obvious star-in-the-making, he'll probably get drafted in the first two rounds in the NHL next year. Dahl said if he scores 50 points he's probably gone. He didn't say that was the right decision, but if the Red Wings wave a $1 million signing bonus at him, he will think about it. He also comments, correctly that the WCHA is predominatly a upperclassmen league (See DU, UM-TC, UND, CC recently). You act like if Dahl said your wife is a babe, he must have realy meant she has a huge rack and what the hell is she doing with you. :0 You need to come down to the Husky Golf Tournament and releive some stress. BTW, you don't have and extra four tickets you can spare for the SCSU/UND series at the Ralph, do ya? :D

I think most people are commenting on the fact that Dahl obviously contradicted himself in the two articles.

IN article 1 (no this isnt a lesson on the consitution), Dahl calls Parise the "bluest of blue chippers"

In article 2 "You can say all you want--it's a junior-senior league. Unless you're a real blue-chipper, you've got to pay your dues."

As you can see In article 1 , zach parise is refered to as as blue of a chipper as a blue chipper can be. In article 2 zach parise Dahl implies Parise isn't even a real blue-chipper. Very funny stuff.