SiouxSports.com Forum

fightingsioux4life

3 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I have questions for UND-FB-Fan i would like to know if were born and raised in North Dakota or Norther Minnesota because you seem to have aversity to power structure and how the politics happen at the UND. I am saying you're not wrong on some of your ideas but it's the attitude that your 100% correct and you seem to think your criteria for job is W and L. I think community, School, and Alumni do care about are W and L, but they also care about student athletes' academics and type of individuals that represent them on the field. The references to facilities that have been built are reflection of backers of UND football that believe in the program and have supported this coach otherwise money would not have been here to build these facilities. I still think a lot dissatisfaction is we have had not experienced the glory that the university to South has experienced in last 15 years and we have not caught up to them and surpassed them.

The history of between the Two universities goes way back and each of them have had their dominance and other behind other. The late 70's and 80's UND was dominant in hockey and Fargo was trying to catch up build hockey program until they finally drop whole idea and put money forth into their football program. There rewards didn't happen until we see them build into division I program and become the dominant program they are today. We have been trying to catch them ever since we went division I but problem has is they have established name recognition and parlayed into having big recruiting advantage over most of area teams. The exception now SDSU has made inroads on this front, and we are starting to win a few recruiting battles but very few. This is where i come from you have seen some of Missouri valley teams hyer this flashy coach they bubble up for year then they fall back to bottom league trying to rebuild their program and nobody is coming to games and supporters are know where to be found. Example of this is Missouri State. Und has had one period of this in my lifetime and nearly took 20 years to get back to where they were dominant program.  We were one coach of this happening before Bubba came in had support of long term to get program heading in right direction.

This is why people in charge may seem slow to younger fans that want immediate gratification because you have no experience or history of what it takes schools like UND to build program and stay in the upper tier of that sport. The majority of schools in FCS don't have resources or money if things blow up to just turn around do it again because what usually people resources disappear with big time failure. The University to South is exception and they want even to move higher in Football and they may very well achieve that but i have my doubts on that because of where we located.  

You provide an historical context, but you also have revealed the critical bias that haunts University of North Dakota athletics. It’s not just about instant gratification; that is an oversimplification and a distraction from the real issues.   It is perhaps however about ageism and historical decision-making models that have failed to undergo contemporary adjustment. There’s no reason we should have to wait decades for UND football to consistently complete with NDSU football, regardless of age. It is okay to acknowledge Bubba Schweigert has done appreciable work up to this point, but also that change is the best approach now for UND football moving forward.

Fargo U pushes for higher expectations with football, sure, and they want to be bigger than they are, but I think that is okay if done with fiscal responsibility. There have been concerns with this, though, of course. It’s therefore important to be cautious, as you mention. UND football could be in a position where they could both bolster the football program while also being responsible fiscally and properly emphasize academics as the flagship. These positions are not all mutually exclusive. But, several folks who apparently have the “experience or history of what it takes schools like UND to build program and stay in the upper tier of that sport” tend to pump the brakes rather than shoot for the stars and take the next step. 

In summary, as a group of supporters, it is okay to care about W’s and L’s and also simultaneously feature academics. In fact, it’s mutually beneficial.

I will say, I am very pleased and proud of the facility upgrades going on for UND athletics, namely football. This is exciting and shows commitment. But the people in charge within these future buildings is a very important topic. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I have questions for UND-FB-Fan i would like to know if were born and raised in North Dakota or Norther Minnesota because you seem to have aversity to power structure and how the politics happen at the UND. I am saying you're not wrong on some of your ideas but it's the attitude that your 100% correct and you seem to think your criteria for job is W and L. I think community, School, and Alumni do care about are W and L, but they also care about student athletes' academics and type of individuals that represent them on the field. The references to facilities that have been built are reflection of backers of UND football that believe in the program and have supported this coach otherwise money would not have been here to build these facilities. I still think a lot dissatisfaction is we have had not experienced the glory that the university to South has experienced in last 15 years and we have not caught up to them and surpassed them.

The history of between the Two universities goes way back and each of them have had their dominance and other behind other. The late 70's and 80's UND was dominant in hockey and Fargo was trying to catch up build hockey program until they finally drop whole idea and put money forth into their football program. There rewards didn't happen until we see them build into division I program and become the dominant program they are today. We have been trying to catch them ever since we went division I but problem has is they have established name recognition and parlayed into having big recruiting advantage over most of area teams. The exception now SDSU has made inroads on this front, and we are starting to win a few recruiting battles but very few. This is where i come from you have seen some of Missouri valley teams hyer this flashy coach they bubble up for year then they fall back to bottom league trying to rebuild their program and nobody is coming to games and supporters are know where to be found. Example of this is Missouri State. Und has had one period of this in my lifetime and nearly took 20 years to get back to where they were dominant program.  We were one coach of this happening before Bubba came in had support of long term to get program heading in right direction.

This is why people in charge may seem slow to younger fans that want immediate gratification because you have no experience or history of what it takes schools like UND to build program and stay in the upper tier of that sport. The majority of schools in FCS don't have resources or money if things blow up to just turn around do it again because what usually people resources disappear with big time failure. The University to South is exception and they want even to move higher in Football and they may very well achieve that but i have my doubts on that because of where we located.  

two words......

women's hockey.

killed our athletic program for years and we are still pulling our way out of that hole.

have the university to the south startup women's hockey and see what happens.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

two words......

women's hockey.

killed our athletic program for years and we are still pulling our way out of that hole.

have the university to the south startup women's hockey and see what happens.

Geez now I've heard it all.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Stanford was asking the same thing….

Tell me which game since 2018(@Washington) UND Football could not have won with better coaching?  Give me a list of the games since @ Washington, which Bubba and co had no chance because the other team just had far superior talent...

12 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Tell me which game since 2018(@Washington) UND Football could not have won with better coaching?  Give me a list of the games since @ Washington, which Bubba and co had no chance because the other team just had far superior talent...

Washington, SDSU, and NDSU

15 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Washington, SDSU, and NDSU

We beat both NDSU and SDSU since 2018 and should have defeated both teams multiple times.  I would agree with Washington, we need them to lose the game.  Every other game we could have won with superior coaching.  One of the losses vs NDSU had one of the worst coaching moves in MVFC history.

• Upvote 2