SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Season Cancelled...

TinyTimmay

I'm kind of surprised that no one has said anything about this yet. Maybe it's because no one really cares about the NHL at this point. Does the possibilty of there not being a season next year also, have some effect on current college players to stick around for another season ? Like Drew or Green ? I'm not sure what Staff's status was, or if he was even thinking of leaving this early. I mean, there is only going to be so many roster spots available in the AHL, Europe and so forth. Thoughts, complaints, fingerpointing, anything you got.......? I personally think a salary cap in the $42 Million range would be sufficient, and a salary cap has shown that it works, in other major sports. I think the players are to blame for this "terrible" turn of events. I also caught Phil Esposito saying that he and some others are going to start "another league". Haven't heard much more for details on that. Go Sioux !!!

i love going to coyotes games here in az but i as long as I have Sioux Hockey to watch i am fine without the NHL.

both the players and owners are to blame. the players gave in at the last minute to a cap but i really think the owners did not want a deal anyway. the NHL does not have the huge fan following or power to survive this like the MLB or NFL. yes its huge out east and the midwest and so forth but for the most part people don't care because its such a regional sport.

they have to change the game. the game sucks. the trap and other types of play slow the game down and people don't want to watch that. the fans want scoring!

here are the basic ideas the NHL have been going over........ i'm sure we all have seen these ideas brought up to make the NHL game better and more exciting

eliminate the red line (2 line pass) , this will open up play for more exciting plays and more goals..

they may make the net bigger or make the goalie pads smaller.. (more goals)

they may move the net back closer to the boards..

change the icing rule like college without touch up to prevent injuries..

and a 5:00 minute OT followed by shootout (for the fans) also there will be a winner every night..

I'm kind of surprised that no one has said anything about this yet. Maybe it's because no one really cares about the NHL at this point. Does the possibilty of there not being a season next year also, have some effect on current college players to stick around for another season ? Like Drew or Green ? I'm not sure what Staff's status was, or if he was even thinking of leaving this early. I mean, there is only going to be so many roster spots available in the AHL, Europe and so forth. Thoughts, complaints, fingerpointing, anything you got.......? I personally think a salary cap in the $42 Million range would be sufficient, and a salary cap has shown that it works, in other major sports. I think the players are to blame for this "terrible" turn of events. I also caught Phil Esposito saying that he and some others are going to start "another league". Haven't heard much more for details on that. Go Sioux !!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm saddened beyond belief, but there's nothing I can do about it.

What Bettman and Goodenow don't realize is that they've signed their "death" warrants. No, not pine box kind of call the funeral home death warrants, but I mean their careers.

The NHL will never recover. It doesn't have the fan base to recover. It hasn't had it for years. Baseball had the fan base. NBA still hasn't totally recovered, but it's showing that it had a decently sized fan base that withstood the strike. The NHL doesn't have that.

Goodenow and Bettman cannot see the big picture. They do not truly know what is good for the game. No one waits until the last moment to start negotiations. The bargaining going on within the last 24 to 36 hours were merely jokes.

Now, I believe what PTI says: No NHL season until halfway through next year, if at all.

The next step is to cancel the NHL draft for this year. I think that would be a good idea, personally. Send a message to youth hockey parents around the US to make sure their kids specialize in more than just hockey just in case the inevitable happens and there are no more hockey players to aspire to.

I believe the NBA contract runs out after this season. Not sounding so good for them either, but if they were smart they'd look at the NHL and what a mess it's become.

The NBA may have survived the strike/lockout, but their fan base is dwindling as well due to many of the same problems as the NHL as far as the game goes.

I miss being able to watch hockey. :blush:

I am glad they ended up canceling the season instead of having a shortened, meaningless season. I enjoy hockey as much as the next guy but I wouldn't be satisfied with a 20 game season or whatever could have been salvaged at the deadline. Whatever team that would have ended up winning the cup this year would be subject to a lot of controversy, kind of like the spurs team that won that NBA championship in their stike shortened season.

Maybe some good will come out of this. Like some changes to the game to speed things up.

i can say that i don't miss the NHL so much as i miss being able to watch something other than basketball on ESPN. The NHL is boring to watch, and it's my opinion that if they made the game more like the college game (2line pass, no touch icing, things of that nature) that it would be more entertaining to watch. the playoffs are the only time of year where guys like me watch religiously, because there is more of a story to follow. who cares about the NY Islanders v. Carolina in november. now who cares about the same two teams in the second round of the playoffs in may. just my thoughts on it, change the game and it will recover, leave it as is and it'll be referred to as the defunct-NHL.

sidenote: Major League Baseball suffered a great deal after the strike. Most of you must not recall the 6,000 attendance games all around the league. It gradually started to gain fans, but it definately took some ass kissing from the teams and players and owners to get the fans interested again, finally coming to a head in 98 with Sosa and Mac with the homerun race. Baseball has been strong since then and hopefully it will continue to gain strength. GO SIOUX, GO TWINS!!!! (fantasy baseball starts today :blush: )

CScinderella.jpg

How one can use the term "all time greatest" in the same sentence as the band Cinderella is beyond me :blush:

To a degree I agree with DaveK on the fighting issue. The NHL clearly expanded way to much - in the South many fans could give a crap about the game they just wanted blood. The owners were forced to bring in more goons and the game was becoming too slow. What the NHL needs is another Gretzky - Sidney Crosby is the closest thing they are going to get. Like Gretzky, Crosby may end up playing pro hockey in a different league while the NHL sorts things out - hopefully the NHL can come back like they did in the late 70's (although they never cancelled a season with all their problems). That said taking fighting out of the game would be a stupid move, but encouraging a faster paced game would be a good thing. They are going to have to get rid of at least 4-5 teams. My picks - Florida, Nashville, Tampa Bay (I realize they won the cup - but I don't think anyone down there cared), Anaheim and Carolina.

I didn't say they're one of the all-time greatest bands, I said "Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone" is one of the all-time greatest power ballads. As a band, I think Cinderella is often overlooked. They may not rank up there with Poison and Motley Crue as the greatest bands of their era, but they're very good just the same (at least to those of us who like that genre of music).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw these dudes in concert twice. Once at Monsters of Rock in Germany.

They kicked some Major @$$.

Cinderella rocked.

I don't care if they take the fighting out of hockey. If they speed the game up and put the guys on a bigger sheet of ice (I know, ain't going to happen), the goons would be exposed as liabilities on the ice. I'd rather see Jason Blake and Keith Ballard go at it anyway, rather than 2 big meatheads that are on the ice only for that purpose.

Sounds like there is now a player revolt. It doesn't sound like the cap is the big deal, but that they didn't accept it a long time ago. Also some owners dealing on the side as well. It's coming out of Canada that some backdoor dealing is being done.

I think it's safe to say that both leaders will not survive this. Apparently Bettman didn't answer his phone for 15 hours. It's almost like he wants hockey to fail.

I'm listening to "Hacksaw" on So. Cal radio. This guy likes hockey and talks about hockey. Therefore, I like him :blush: If you want to listen, it's at XTRA 570.

SEE?!?!?!?!

Cancelling the NHL season has resulted in the most drastic and sickening conversation:  Girl-impersonating hair bands from the 80s! :lol:  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?

Dr. Raymond Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath-of-God type stuff.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.

Dr. Raymond Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.

Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes...

Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.

;););):sad::D:0

While it sucks to see the season cancelled, the NHL owners and players have had this notion for too long that they are still a major sport when the facts didn't back it up. I know people who'd like ESPN to show more NHL games, but why should they? Basically, anything (like bowling for example) got better ratings and likely cost the network far less for the broadcast rights. If there is a positive in this for me, it'll be that the owners and players almost surely will have to accept the fact that their status has severly dropped because of the total lack of a public outcry over the cancellation. What do you think would happen if the NFL, NBA or baseball ever did the same?

WOW I didn't realize that hair bands would be such a touchy subject. I think someone is about to cry if you mention one more thing about cinderella or whatever washed up 80's hair band you guys are talking about. :blush:

Seriously, what do you guys make of this "meeting of the minds" this weekend between the owners and the players? Think the season can be salvaged? I wish they would just start worying about next year and how this is going to effect the game.

WOW I didn't realize that hair bands would be such a touchy subject.  I think someone is about to cry if you mention one more thing about cinderella or whatever washed up 80's hair band you guys are talking about.  :blush:

Seriously,  what do you guys make of this "meeting of the minds" this weekend between the owners and the players?  Think the season can be salvaged?  I wish they would just start worying about next year and how this is going to effect the game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The :lol: and :D generally mean sarcasm or kidding. :sad:

In any case, I'm not taking much by it. I really believe Wilbon and Kornheiser of PTI. If these talks fail, they won't meat again until maybe August or September. And perhaps won't hash a deal out until January or there abouts.