SiouxSports.com Forum

Stats ? & Scholarships ?

Fetch

Who are some good players that developed after HS that did not have all the Stats ?

There sure must be things Coaches look for other than Stats ?

How important is playing Juniors ?

Are scholarships usually Full or Partial (anyone know what all they get ?)

Have any Hockey Players ever played other College sports, like Football or Baseball, at the same time ? (Got Multiple Scholarships ?) because they are such well rounded Athletes ?

I doubt many ND Players have had the "Stats" that some have? But we have had some Great College players. (many that were missed) :0

Football & Baseball don't over lap that much, that it could'nt be worked out ...does it ?

Do most (All ?) Hockey Players get full Rides ?

Do most (All ?) Hockey Players get full Rides ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not all UND hockey players get full rides. I'm guessing that most of them don't. Under NCAA rules, scholarship information is considered confidential. Unless a player tells you what he or she is getting, you're not likely to find out.

So we have the best Facility in Hockey ...But can't afford to fix the Ice ? ? ? ...and we don't have the funds to provide Full Scholorships for players ? ? ? ;)

Do players ever lose their Scholarships if they are not producing (playing like the coaches thought they would) in their 2nd 3rd or 4th years ? :0

So we have the best Facility in Hockey ...But can't afford to fix the Ice ? ? ? ...and we don't have the funds to provide Full Scholorships for players  ? ? ? ;)

Do players ever lose their Scholarships if they are not producing (playing like the coaches thought they would)  in their 2nd 3rd or 4th years ? :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scholarships are limited by NCAA rules. UND funds the full amount of scholarships that are allowed by the NCAA.

I thought so - But how many are there ? & who ? This is not Public Info ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know total scholarships are public information -- I just can't remember where to find that information. As far as I am aware, coaches can split the total any way they see fit.

Who are some good players that developed after HS that did not have all the Stats ?

There sure must be things Coaches look for other than Stats  ?

How important is playing Juniors ?

Are scholarships usually Full or Partial (anyone know what all they get ?)

Have any Hockey Players ever played other College sports, like Football or Baseball, at the same time ? (Got Multiple Scholarships ?)  because they are such well rounded Athletes ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are many players that develop well after HS, they are usually not at highly recruited, and can become very valuable players (Lee Goren comes to mind).

Playing juniors is important for a players development. Not very many players (aside from the likes of Parise, Stafford, and few others) are good enough to jump right into the WCHA and compete.

Scholarships are very seldom full ride, simply because the NCAA limits how much money can be awarded. And YES a player can lose a scholarship if they do not produce, as they are reevaluated each year (I believe). However most of this information is confidential.

Even though many of these players are well rounded, and very talented athletes, it would be hihgly unlikely for a hockey player at UND to play another sport. Many of the players that come to UND have aspirations of playing pro hockey, and train for hockey year round. Also, the hockey coaches do not want a highly regarded player taking a chance of getting injured playing a game of softball or something (this sounds familiar ?)...There may have been some hockey players who played another sport back about 30 or 40 years, but I would not bet on finding one in modern UND hockey history.

The math is simple - 18 full rides, coaches can allocate to 18 players and give zero to the other 7-8 roster players or more likely 8-10 are full rides and the rest vary from 0 to 75%, depending on production, potential and how valuable to the team ...

It does seem that 18 is too low a limit. Seems like 22-25 would be a better number, more fairly reflecting the effort expended. But in a world where Title IX considerations dominate it seems unlikely that NC$$ will increase the limit.

Even though many of these players are well rounded, and very talented athletes, it would be hihgly unlikely for a hockey player at UND to play another sport. Many of the players that come to UND have aspirations of playing pro hockey, and train for hockey year round. Also, the hockey coaches do not want a highly regarded player taking a chance of getting injured playing a game of softball or something (this sounds familiar ?)...There may have been some hockey players who played another sport back about 30 or 40 years, but I would not bet on finding one in modern UND hockey history.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I remember correctly Brad Defaw was going to join the football team as a kicker but Blais didn't let him due to injury concerns. Not to mention the overlapping of seasons.

Do players ever lose their Scholarships if they are not producing (playing like the coaches thought they would)  in their 2nd 3rd or 4th years ? :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scholarships are on a year-to-year basis so the coach could decide to increase, decrease, or revoke it. I doubt players get their scholarships revoked too often as it doesn't look good for the school and could be a negative for future recruiting.

Hockey can give out 18 scholies amongst 30 players

15.5.6 Ice Hockey Limitations. There shall be an annual limit of 18 on the value of financial aid awards (equivalencies) to counters and an annual limit of 30 on the total number of counters in the sport of ice hockey at each ice hockey institution. (Adopted: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93)