SiouxSports.com Forum

Offensive style?

mikejm

I've been a hockey fan for over 30 years and I'm having a heckuva time figuring out the Sioux's style of cycling deep in the corners and behind the net.

This past weekend the differences between the Sioux and the Pioneers was glaringly obvious: we're passing the puck along the boards while the Pioneers seemed to be forever crusing straight down the ice toward the net, getting off a shot or leaving the puck for a trailer.

Why is it so easy for Denver to carry the puck toward the net while we get tied up down deep or far to wide? (And I feel really stupid having to ask this :silly: )

I've been a hockey fan for over 30 years and I'm having a heckuva time figuring out the Sioux's style of cycling deep in the corners and behind the net.

This past weekend the differences between the Sioux and the Pioneers was glaringly obvious: we're passing the puck along the boards while the Pioneers seemed to be forever crusing straight down the ice toward the net, getting off a shot or leaving the puck for a trailer.

Why is it so easy for Denver to carry the puck toward the net while we get tied up down deep or far to wide? (And I feel really stupid having to ask thisĀ  :silly: )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Won't try to answer your whole question, but the Denver backcheckers put very strong hooks on Sioux forwards for all 6 periods, without one call being made. Early in the season very minor hooks were called. I have no complaints about the officiating I've seen earlier by Campion and Zelkin, but this weekend was glaringly one-sided. I didn't see the Sioux apply the same strong hooks and holds that Denver did, so possibly little Shep would have let the Sioux do it also, but given the few weanie obstruction penalties Shep called on the Sioux, that had nothing to do with creating or preventing a scoring chance, along with Denver picks that left Denver players all alone with great scoring chances, I left believing that little Shep is either pro-Denver or anti-Sioux. Denver played the game they were allowed to play very well.

The real problem, as verified by Tim Hennesy after the game Sat night, was that Denver had great head man passes and their speed in transition created a lot of odd man rushes. We just didn't have the speed to counter act. Gone are the "speed kills"days when the Sioux would burn everyone with their quickness. Denver had far better depth. Their last line has a 30+ point man. I have to agree, the Sioux seem very disorginized offensivley. The good teams we have played have much better offensive orginization and flow. Someone missed the boat on a lot of our recruits over the last few years because once you get past the first line our talent is at best average. If the Sioux struggle to beat Bemidji, how in the world can we seriously think they have a shot at an NCAA invite. The results this past weekend bear me out.

DG

but the Denver backcheckers put very strong hooks on Sioux forwards for all 6 periods, without one call being made.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is clutching and grabbing all of the time when UND cycles the pucks along the boards. It is obviously legal to a little degree, but most times it should be a penalty. Cycling would never work if the defense could just grab onto the players. It would be nice if the forwards were a little bigger and stronger to fight through it some of the time. However, it has been made clear that in the WCHA they will be held on to and it will not be a penalty, thus they need to get away from cycling.

Won't try to answer your whole question, but the Denver backcheckers put very strong hooks on Sioux forwards for all 6 periods, without one call being made. Early in the season very minor hooks were called. I have no complaints about the officiating I've seen earlier by Campion and Zelkin, but this weekend was glaringly one-sided.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude that is beautiful, I love the way you explained the reffing to a T.

No way Denver should be allowed to play like that but they are. Thats how they won the NCAA's last year hooking and holding. The sioux players were held all night in the offensive zone.

I won't be able to help you understand it (I wish I could), but I believe the offensive style is called:

2.73 GPG overall, 2.45 GPG in league.Ā  :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Compared to 4.0 last season when Buck and Zach were here.

I won't be able to help you understand it (I wish I could), but I believe the offensive style is called:

2.73 GPG overall, 2.45 GPG in league.Ā  :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, a better name might be "Bunch o' Deadwood Upperclassmen Dragging This Team Down System" Derived from the infamous Polish Torpedo-Yourself System. :):sad:

Dude that is beautiful, I love the way you explained the reffing to a T.

No way Denver should be allowed to play like that but they are. Thats how they won the NCAA's last year hooking and holding. The sioux players were held all night in the offensive zone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm curious as to why we need to group up behind the net every time we take the puck into the zone on a power play.Ā  I mean, is a simple pass from the goalie into open neutral ice a bad thing?Ā  IMO, we're wasting lots of PP time this way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been wondering the same exact thing this season. I bet on average we waste about a third of every power play setting up behind the net. Of course, this wouldn't be as much of an issue if we could just hold the zone better on the power play.

I'm curious as to why we need to group up behind the net every time we take the puck into the zone on a power play.Ā  I mean, is a simple pass from the goalie into open neutral ice a bad thing?Ā  IMO, we're wasting lots of PP time this way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is the breakout on the PP and even strength (if you're not pressured behind the net by an opponent forecheck), coached at all levels. Dman sets up behind the net, two forwards drop down and breakout towards each wing. Dman starts up the ice with the puck, hopes to draw the opponent forechecker to him, then dishes to one of the wings. On the PP, both wings are never covered since the opponent is short a man.

Although it seems like a waste of "time", it is usually more successful than dumping the puck up into the neutral ice area, where opponents are lined up ready to break up the rush before it even makes it into their zone. The exception is when the opponent makes a line change. then the long pass from the goalie to neutral ice is often effective.