SiouxSports.com Forum

BSU Saturday

sprig

Once again, it is the Senior class that is causing this team problems. While certain Seniors are not contributing others are taking the untimely DQs. It is a disturbing trend. A freshman Zajac was the best Sioux on the ice for the BSU series.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rory McMahon has been one of the most solid guys on this team. To fault him for bringing the team down is unfair. I didn't see the penalty he got so I can't comment on it. There are other seniors that have been more detrimental to this teams success.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My recap (a long time in coming thanx to burglers and no internet access in GF):

This game was probably my last home game to watch at the Ralph :lol: thanks to graduation and a job etc. I'm happy to see us win. I sat in section 114 two rows from the glass. Let me say this: If it isn't the 2nd period, it sucks to be sitting there. Also, that section isn't that good. If they aren't dead silent, they are cheering for the Beavers (WTF?) and razzing Smaby every time he is in our zone (WTF again?).

UND:

Goaltending: Jordan looked GOOD last night despite giving me a few steps closer towards cardiac arrest in the third period. He was not as rusty as I expected him to be. A note on crowds: Maybe it's the hometown thing, but the crowd is definitely more into the game when Phil is between the pipes. I feel for Jordan in that fashion. I like both our goaltenders.

Defense (defensively): We looked alright. Smaby had a MUCH MUCH better night last night. He was hitting alright and moving the puck better. He didn't visit the penalty box once. Jones had somewhat of an off night puck handling wise. He also was on the ice for BSU's lone goal, which was purely a defensive lapse. Whoever was tasked in covering Cook forgot to do his job. Nick Fuher looked good and Kyle Radke look alright. The defenseman that stuck out for some reason (meaning I can't exactly pinpoint why) was Robbie Bina. He was all over the place.

I think it is about time that Kyle got a goal! He needed it so badly! However, I swear to GOD that puck was deflected. I don't know by whom, but the shot was from my side of the ice. I saw it pass the line of forwards and get deflected upwards. It handcuffed Sedevie.

Offense (defensively): Still, we are having a tough time forechecking. Quinn Fylling, Rory McMahon, Mike Prpich, and Brian Canady looked subpar out there. No, I have no idea what happened with McMahon, but from what I've heard it was worthy of a 5 minute major. A Game DQ? I don't know so much. I don't think it would have hurt Campion too much to give him a misconduct or just a regular 5 minute major. Stafford, Porter, and Zajac do wonders on the defensively. I hope they can teach the rest of the team.

Offense: Gosh, I can't say this enough: SHOOT THE PUCK! CRASH THE NET! Ok, there were two instances in the 2nd period alone that, if we crashed the net, we could have scored. We didn't crash the net very much at all. I only noticed Stafford and Massen doing it in the second period. Massen would have scored if not for the puck getting deflected over his stick. Radke's goal was a play I've not seen the Sioux ever attempt to my knowledge. I think this is a play that should continue to happen. Radke shoots, we crash the net and look for rebounds off the faceoff. Good idea.

BSU:

Overall: This team doesn't fit in with the CHA. Their play is too good. BSU could easily beat SCSU right now and hang around with any other WCHA or CCHA team. Heck, Michigan was only good enough to split NMU, so it's a chance they could even beat a good portion of the CCHA!

An interesting note to see: I noticed, after the final horn had sounded, a group of BSU fans chanting what sounded like U-N-D! U-N-D! Is this routine for them when they are defeated? I thought it was classy. Never experienced a classy fanbase among the team that lost.

Goaltending: Climie and Sedevie are good goaltenders. Sedevie robbed Stafford, Zajac, Porter, and Spirko a few times. I think they'll do well with them. It's a young tandem, as young as ours. Sedevie is a Sophomore and Climie is a freshman. Very impressed with Sedevie.

Defense: They aren't a flashy team defensively. They only do one thing better than the rest: forecheck. They are REALLY REALLY good forecheckers. They play positions really well and they cover their net pretty good in the cycling game that UND employs.

Offense: Can't say much more than they are oportunistic. Also, they CRASH THE NET. I can't believe how many times I saw a Beaver player in front of Jordan Parise. Did the Sioux forwards take any notes? That is how play should ensue in the offensive zone. With that game plan and our talent, I am sure we'd at LEAST go up .5-1 goal a game.

Coaching: Serratore is the Dean Blais of the CHA and AHA. The CHA and AHA have virtually no chance at the Frozen Four, but BSU has an advantage in that they have a coach who knows the game better than a lot of other coaches. If BSU is going to go anywhere, Serratore will have to be holding the reigns.

Other notes:

I can only pose confusion and sorrow at what Campion has turned out to be. I recall him being a steady and as close to consistant ref as there could be in the WCHA. Now... it's no longer there. For the first 10 minutes of the first period he didn't realize that there were two teams on the ice. From then on out, he alternated in penalty calling. He didn't call a few obvious hooking, tripping, and holding calls (Uh, what can't Stafford het free of Differding? :0 ). I don't know about Jon. Just sad.

Attendance: 11,100 and change? Yeah right. THat would put us with not a whole lot of green in the stands. There was a LOT of green seats on my side of the arena.

Sucks: It sucks not being able to see the other half of the ice. I missed Spirko's goal entirely. If it happened in BSU's zone during the first and third periods, I didn't see it.

Thanks for the "classy" comments redwing! We were not chanting UND, but BSU as the team was going off the ice. But take it as you wish. Most of the UND fans around us let us have our fun, but there were a few that thought they were original with their "Beaver jeers". Like we haven't heard them all before.

You can thank us for creating a little noise in the arena. The only time the arena seemed to get loud on Saturday night was when we would start our B-S-U chant and the UND fans would try to drown us out....

Is it wrong to be happier with our play on Saturday than I was on Friday, even though we lost?

Until next year, which will be a home and home series!!!!

UND:

Defense (defensively):  We looked alright.  Smaby had a MUCH MUCH better night last night.  He was hitting alright and moving the puck better.  He didn't visit the penalty box once.

I think it is about time that Kyle got a goal!  He needed it so badly!  However, I swear to GOD that puck was deflected.  I don't know by whom, but the shot was from my side of the ice.  I saw it pass the line of forwards and get deflected upwards.  It handcuffed Sedevie.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good points Though Smaby looked good getting down right nasty (but clean) with a few of the BSU players. UND needs that.

Radke, is starting to get it going. Nice shot, likes to use the screen. Kyle should be in the line up no matter what.

Rory McMahon has been one of the most solid guys on this team. To fault him for bringing the team down is unfair. I didn't see the penalty he got so I can't comment on it. There are other seniors that have been more detrimental to this teams success.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't single anyone out. I merely pointed out the senior class collectively.

Someone told me (we might have to implore the help of The Sic or PCM for the rules on this) that if the call is a 5 minute major for spearing, a game DQ MUST go along with it. If Campion had just called a roughing penalty instead no game DQ would follow. But according to the person I talked to (who is very knowledgable on rules) since Campion called spearing he had no choice...the game DQ accompanies that particular call. Anyone else know anything about this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think they have much of a call on that one, I thought the Spearing was a little extreme, but I understand why the rules is in place to protect the players from getting hurt. I think that Rory will sit for two this weekend because of the progressives unless that only counts for fighting majors, either way his sitting out really hurts us, since he is an awesome defensive forward.

I don't think they have much of a call on that one, I thought the Spearing was a little extreme, but I understand why the rules is in place to protect the players from getting hurt. I think that Rory will sit for two this weekend because of the progressives unless that only counts for fighting majors, either way his sitting out really hurts us, since he is an awesome defensive forward.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree on McMahon's 2 game suspension hurting us. And, as PCM posted, it mentions nowhere that the DQs are segmented out into fighting and other DQs, so I think the suspension is going to stand.

Dumb question, totally serios, can't Hakstol appeal the suspension? Review the play and the call and appeal for a lesser suspension or something?

Someone told me (we might have to implore the help of The Sic or PCM for the rules on this) that if the call is a 5 minute major for spearing, a game DQ MUST go along with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is correct. Spearing is a game DQ. The referee has no discretion on the matter.

RULE 6-45/PLAYING RULES

Spearing

SECTION 46. A player shall not spear or attempt to spear an opponent.

Spearing shall mean stabbing an opponent with the point of the stick blade

while the stick is being carried with one or both hands.

P E N A L T Y

I agree on McMahon's 2 game suspension hurting us. And, as PCM posted, it mentions nowhere that the DQs are segmented out into fighting and other DQs, so I think the suspension is going to stand.

Dumb question, totally serios, can't Hakstol appeal the suspension? Review the play and the call and appeal for a lesser suspension or something?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the only option on appealing a DQ is in the offending player's identity. That is to say, if they called it on the wrong player and can prove it, then the player originally called for the penalty does not have to serve it, but the player identified as the offending player in the appeal does i.e. somebody gets the DQ no matter what.

I did not see the penalty on the telecast, they didn't replay it, so I assume it was not caught on tape, making an appeal unlikely if not impossible. Also, Tim and Greg said they both saw it, said that it was a spear, and said it was done with intent to injure, and they both very much agreed with the call.

These types of penalties are NOT Sioux hockey. They should NEVER be done by any of our players (even for a retaliation in kind). I hope Hak throws the book at him. This is certainly not what you expect from one of our seniors. I know emotions can run high, and that things happen in the heat of the moment, but there are just certain lines you never cross, and this is one of them.

Um, exactly which team is MDU? Because I don't think I've heard of them...

And Redwing, CAMPION is the WORST OFFICIAL in the WCHA. I don't know why people think otherwise.

I'm loving Don Adam right now, even though the 'Dogs got more penalties than the Gophers last night, but at least he called some necessary ones on the Gophers. The 'Dogs scored on a delayed penalty and on a 5X5 that was directly after their power play ended, so we were abel to capitalize. He did call one penalty (the only one of the 3rd period) that was TOTALLY a Gopher dive, they wouldn't even show the replay.

I thought the Gophers looked totally sluggish. They were lazy toward the end of the night, their fans were booing and yelling at them to start skating.

Spearing is a really bad penalty to take, and I haven't seen it called all that much. Kilpatrick from CC got a spearing penalty last weekend (Zelkin was the ref, and he calls everything kind of penalty in the books.) But I don't think refs call spearing, or give game DQs or misconducts without really giving a reason. I think whatever Rory did deserved the penalty. If someone who actually saw the game can refute this for me, by all means, do. My opinion is just based on the gravity of the call and the infrequency with which these calls are made. It's not obstruction or interference, which happens all the time and isn't always called (or is called too often). You can always argue those types of penalties.

Spearing is a really bad penalty to take, and I haven't seen it called all that much. Kilpatrick from CC got a spearing penalty last weekend (Zelkin was the ref, and he calls everything kind of penalty in the books.) But I don't think refs call spearing, or give game DQs or misconducts without really giving a reason. I think whatever Rory did deserved the penalty. If someone who actually saw the game can refute this for me, by all means, do. My opinion is just based on the gravity of the call and the infrequency with which these calls are made. It's not obstruction or interference, which happens all the time and isn't always called (or is called too often). You can always argue those types of penalties.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was staring right at Rory when he speared the Beaver player. Not sure who he was but Rory was definitely bothered by him. I can't exactly remember what he did to Rory but the spear was in retaliation. It was obvious and it helped that the Beaver player sold it well by dropping to the ice as soon as it happened. They had him on the big screen right after the whistle, he got up and went to the bench with a big grin on his face (he did a good job selling the penalty and he knew it). Don't think Campion had a choice but to call the penalty. He couldn't call it a rough, slash, or anything like that, it was an obvious spear.