SiouxSports.com Forum

BSU Saturday

sprig

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...well, these guys played their hearts out but did not getting the bounces. The win tonight as a result of hard work and effort. They need to score goals...I think they need to relax and enjoy the game, but that doesn't mean when they do, they can perform like they did the first two periods last night...

Anyway, good job Sioux...time to git'er done...

Hey fellas! Congrats on the win.

Oh man am I fired up about the 'Dogs win tonight. We ended up standing the whole game and I nearly fell over the railing about 100 times. I actually had the police standing behind me for over half the game. Since when does LOVING HOCKEY and CHEERING LOUDLY bother people so much.

The 'Dogs absolutely DOMINATED. I mean it. 5X5 shots on goal were something like 36-14, the Rodents only really got shots on the power play. The 'Dogs left some fatty boom batty rebounds out there and no one could cash in. The Gophers were making mistakes left and right, let me tell you. They are falling apart.

So, it's 3-2, only a few minutes left, they're getting ready to pull the goalie, and there are people leaving? I am ashamed for them! They call themselves hockey fans? I always stay till the bitter end.

Someone who was at the game will have to tell us what happened, didn't see it on TV.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't see what happened on the McMahon penalty. All I know is that it was right along the boards by BSU's bench. I heard the crowd reaction, but by then, there wasn't anything else to see. I asked Hakstol if he saw the penalty and he said he didn't.

A win! Yahoo.

Non-ice issues:

Standing: Although some might think it's a basketball thing (to stand until the basket is scored) I have to say I liked the twist the students did tonight and last night -- standing from the drop of the puck (1st period) until the first whistle. It's a good compromise -- now if the rest of the arena could learn to accept and participate (I hate to say it, but at the Football games when they say "everyone up for another fighting Sioux kickoff" at least the majority will stand -- maybe some instruction needs to be aimed at the fans -- "everyone up for the drop of the puck", etc. -- yes I realize they put instructions to stand and yell on the board, but just have someone say it over the loud speaker -- or isn't that allowed in NCAA I hockey?) -- also it'd be sort of interesting to see if some sort of organized chant/singing of the fight song/"something" could be yelled/chanted during that standing time.

Beach Balls: WTF! Sorry, but it's STUPID to pass the freakin' ball in the crowd when play is going!!! Do you really want to have a penalty assessed to the home team! Freakin' idiots!! During a TV time-out, fine. But during play, if that ball comes near me I promise I'll pop the d*mn thing and then, well, this is a pg-13 board, so figure it out. I could go on but why. Just put the ball down during play. Kudos to the students that halted the beach ball passing.

Bottle: And if you're sitting by the idiot who threw the bottle on the ice b*tch at them for me, or point him/her out and I'll give it to them. Hopefully that person was drunk 'cause no matter how bad the call, let the captains, coaches or the league take care of it and support them by voicing your opinion of the ref, opposing player(s), throwing a bottle isn't going to solve anything.

The game:

Good game. Players were playing hard (on both teams). Yes, BSU might only be 15% on their PP but 7 strait minutes of penalty kill with at least 3 prime shorthanded chances was great work.

Didn't see what led up to the spear but it was pretty obvious -- right in front of the benches and the ref, couldn't miss it.

Listened to the radio while at the game -- I know TH and GL stressed how good TZ played but I don't think they could possibly put into words just how good he was this week. He's a hard worker with so much talent.

It was nice to see NF on the ice. MSmaby played a better game tonight -- I thought he was going to get a penalty (in the 2nd period) and by the way he reacted I think he thought he was going to get it called to, but the ref let it go. There were a lot of whistles, but compared to games earlier this year, there were many "Oct-Nov-Dec" penalties that the ref ignored.

Listened to the radio while at the game -- I know TH and GL stressed how good TZ played but I don't think they could possibly put into words just how good he was this week.  He's a hard worker with so much talent. 

Agreed. He hit two posts this weekend, both shorthanded noless. They will start to go in for him again quickly if he keeps playing the way he has been.

A post for Massen tonight too, that guy just can't seem to buy a goal this year.

I was pleased with how the team played tonight. Good improvement from last night.

Sucks that UND will lose McMahon for the Fri night DU game, so now I really hope that Murray can make it back by next weekend, although not probable.

I was also impressed with BSU. Probably the best team that they have had in Bemidji in quite some time.

Sucks that UND will lose McMahon for the Fri night DU game, so now I really hope that Murray can make it back by next weekend, although not probable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It will be both Friday's and Saturday's games against Denver. That was McMahon's second game DQ of the season. Remember his fight against Vannelli when Minnesota was here?

This is what the NCAA rule book says:

RULE 4-4/PENALTIES    H R - 36-37

Disqualification Penalties

SECTION 5. a. A disqualification penalty, consisting of suspension for the

remainder of the game plus a major penalty, shall be assessed to any

player who fights, attempts to injure an opponent or commits other

serious penalties as outlined in these rules before the start of the game,

during or after the game.

------------------------

b . The progressive game-disqualification structure shall be:

( 1 ) First disqualification penalty

That is bad news; had forgotten about the first DQ. Bad penalty to take leaving the team without him next weekend.

Seemed like a two team race (MDU, UND) for the last home ice spot, but MN has now made it a three team race for 4th-6th. Sweep the Gophs next week, Wisco, make it even more interesting.

That is bad news; had forgotten about the first DQ. Bad penalty to take leaving the team without him next weekend.

Seemed like a two team race (MDU, UND) for the last home ice spot, but MN has now made it a three team race for 4th-6th. Sweep the Gophs next week, Wisco, make it even more interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the Dirty Badgers can sweep the Dirty Gophers and UND can take care of business and win some games, UND could be passing the Goofers in the standings. It could happen.

If the Dirty Badgers can sweep the Dirty Gophers and UND can take care of business and win some games, UND could be passing the Goofers in the standings. It could happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sioux control their own destiny. If they win out, they will can finish no better than third. If they do, huge movement in the PWR rankings will occur. Tall order for them no less. Check the "what if" calculator. If they finish #3, they wouldn't have to play the "play in" game at the final five. Although they won last night, if they continue to play like they have, they'll lose games they should win and struggle to get home ice for the playoffs.

Wouldn't it be great if Mn and UMD finished 5th & 6th?

How big is that Maine sweep looking right now....who says they don't count in October.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sioux climbed without the Maine bonus, although the bonus would bump them up a bit higher. Maine hangs in at 15 RPI so the 2 quality road wins are still there, but barely. Right now a 3,2,1 bonus bumps the Sioux from 11 to 9.

Big help is that both MDU and SCSU have climbed above .500 RPI, and are now TUC's, and the Sioux gain a PWR point on each of those two. BTW, BSU remains a TUC, although barely, so the Sioux currently have a PWR point vs them also.

The Sioux still can't afford many more losses; could be that the first round of the WCHA playoffs, if it ends up being MDU vs. UND, could mean the loser out of the NCAA's. For Duluth it will very likely mean just that, and the Sioux could play their way to that scenario also.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Once again, it is the Senior class that is causing this team problems. While certain Seniors are not contributing others are taking the untimely DQs. It is a disturbing trend. A freshman Zajac was the best Sioux on the ice for the BSU series.