SiouxSports.com Forum

AHL all-star game

Csonked Out

Considering how things went in college and how they're starting at the pro level, I'm beginning to wonder if the careers of Parise, Bochenski and Vanek will somehow be forever linked or intertwined.

Seems like there can never be one mentioned without mentioning the others.

It is absolutely classic that Parise and Vanek are both slated to start.  :blush:  I wonder if they will actually skate together or if it will just be a cerimonial "start".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anybody know why Vanek is on the USA team and not the "World team"?

It appears Omaha is getting an AHL team that is part of the Calgary Flames organization.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Omaha is really turning into a hockey city. The Lancers have had a ton of support - I'm not sure about UNO, but they appear to be getting some good recruits. I've noticed the youth teams that come up hear are starting to get pretty good. 7-8 years ago they were terrible.

Omaha is great city, I'd like to see the frozen four there some year. Their downtown has really turned around the past 10 or so years.

jloos,

Thanks for the kind words about Omaha. Omaha has always been a pretty big Hockey Town. The Lancers need to get some of the credit for that . They recently have turned off some people in Omaha because they moved over to Council Bluffs Iowa into a new arena and changed the name to River City. This year they changed it back to Omaha. The UNO hockey team is doing better this year after a few down years. This weekend they play back at the bullpen where they used to play before the Qwest Center was built. The Civic Auditorium (bullpen) is a better hockey venue because the fans are right on top of you. But the Qwest is a great facility that is similar to the Ralph. People are questioning whether Omaha can support three teams with the AHL team coming in. Youth hockey is getting better here. It is hard to find ice time with all the teams. By the way the new owners of the Lancers are Mario Lemieux (sp), Luc Robitalle (sp) and Mike Eurizone of olympic fame. Thats pretty cool.

UNO rules

jloos,

Thanks for the kind words about Omaha. Omaha has always been a pretty big Hockey Town. The Lancers need to get some of the credit for that . They recently have turned off some people in Omaha because they moved over to Council Bluffs Iowa into a new arena and changed the name to River City. This year they changed it back to Omaha. The UNO hockey team is doing better this year after a few down years. This weekend they play back at the bullpen where they used to play before the Qwest Center was built. The Civic Auditorium (bullpen) is a better hockey venue because the fans are right on top of you. But the Qwest is a great facility that is similar to the Ralph. People are questioning whether Omaha can support three teams with the AHL team coming in. Youth hockey is getting better here. It is hard to find ice time with all the teams. By the way the new owners of the Lancers are Mario Lemieux (sp), Luc Robitalle (sp) and Mike Eurizone of olympic fame. Thats pretty cool.

UNO rules

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What does this mean for UNO's nice arena? Do they still get exclusive rights to it or can this AHL team just boot them whenever they feel like it?

P.S. Eruzione was a fabulous olympic hockey player, but I've read his stuff for CSTV and it's pretty much Eastern bias crap. He may have forgotten where he was from during the training to the Olympics, but he remembered it immediately following it. Nevertheless, the others are great people and could really do things for the program. I know that Andy Murray of LA Kings fame, owns the Salmon Arm Silverbacks of the BCHL and he's basically put that program on the map up there.

Sounds like UNO will remain at the Qwest Center (new arena) and the AHL is going to use the Civic Auditorium (old arena). It is good because the Civic is kinda under used. Its only full time tenant is the Creighton womens team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UNO vs. Omaha's AHL exhibition game? :0

"Austria is hosting one of three Olympic qualification tournaments in Klagenfurt from February 10 to 13.

Vanek will be joined at Team Austria by several more key overseas-based players: New York Ranger Thomas Poeck, currently with the AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack; Syracuse Crunch's Matthias Trattnig; Christoph Brandner of the Houston Aeros, and University of Wisconsin goalie Bernd Brueckler."

If this is right Bruckler would be missing the Denver series. I would find it quite bizarre for him to miss a part of the stretch drive of what has been a very good season for them. Plus the travel fatigue may have an impact beyond that weekend.

If this is right Bruckler would be missing the Denver series.  I would find it quite bizarre for him to miss a part of the stretch drive of what has been a very good season for them.  Plus the travel fatigue may have an impact beyond that weekend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think I would blame a guy like Bruckler (or Vanek) for representing his country. Tough break for UW if he does leave, but I won't shed a tear for them.