SiouxSports.com Forum

I hope the NHL comes back soon

shep

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm not kidding. I'm talking about kids who often aren't old enough to buy a beer. I don't deny that later in life they may be subject to even greater scrutiny depending on their public profile, but they'll also be older, wiser, and more mature.

Right now you have young kids. Yes, I do believe some of them read what's posted on these boards. And yes, I do believe that a trend of negativity can have an affect on a young player.

It's obvious some of you have a difference of opinion on this topic. It isn't one that either side will prove they are right, so I won't get into arguing it in greater detail.

This is my opinion, and one that I feel pretty accurate on.

No, I'm not kidding.  I'm talking about kids who often aren't old enough to buy a beer.  I don't deny that later in life they may be subject to even greater scrutiny depending on their public profile, but they'll also be older, wiser, and more mature.

Right now you have young kids.  Yes, I do believe some of them read what's posted on these boards.  And yes, I do believe that a trend of negativity can have an affect on a young player.

It's obvious some of you have a difference of opinion on this topic.  It isn't one that either side will prove they are right, so I won't get into arguing it in greater detail. 

This is my opinion, and one that I feel pretty accurate on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're absolutely correct about this being an opinion, and you're very much entitled to it, but you seem to suggest that you have personal knowledge about this, and I'm just wondering if that is true. Has a player told you that he reads this board and that it hurts him when he sees bad things about him?

If that is true, how does it affect him? Is a guy going out there thinking "Geez, I better not mess up or Shep will be all over me on the Sioux board" or anything like that?:sad:

Some of this stuff is rather hilarious.

Look, these guys are athletes. They are being rewarded for their abilities. Some of them will be higly paid professionals in the near future. This is Division I hockey. Fans have an absolute right to expect more from certain players.

It is more than reasonable to criticize a player for making stupid mistakes, especially mental mistakes. Redwing77, what the heck do you think the COACHES say to a player when he screws up? I guarantee you it is far worse than anything posted around here. You should spend some time on certain NHL boards. Some are totally uncensored and it is wide open. I doubt you'd last very long on them if you cannot take some of what is discussed here...which is a very, very tame discussion board.

Shep, I wouldn't expect the NHL to return any time soon; not until the players break ranks, anyway.

....but you seem to suggest that you have personal knowledge about this, and I'm just wondering if that is true. Has a player told you that he reads this board and that it hurts him when he sees bad things about him?

If that is true, how does it affect him? Is a guy going out there thinking "Geez, I better not mess up or Shep will be all over me on the Sioux board" or anything like that?:sad:

The only thing I can say is 1. I have no direct knowledge from a player and 2. I have heard enough from credible sources to believe that a kid (especially one who is struggling either athletically or personally) can be negatively impacted by what they read, including from a message board like this.

The only thing I can say is 1. I have no direct knowledge from a player and 2. I have heard enough from credible sources to believe that a kid (especially one who is struggling either athletically or personally) can be negatively impacted by what they read, including from a message board like this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's the average age of a college hockey player? I mean, a lot of them seem really freaking old. Not all freshmen are really freshmen, they may come from juniors and be as old as me, for crying out loud. Well, maybe not that old.

What's the average age of a college hockey player? I mean, a lot of them seem really freaking old. Not all freshmen are really freshmen, they may come from juniors and be as old as me, for crying out loud. Well, maybe not that old.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And they can probably drink more beer than you and I put togther.

Forget about this season. NHL Commish and the Players Union Exec aren't even going to show up to tommorrow's talks.

In other words, The "talks" will take about 30 minutes and consist mostly of checking in on how everyone is doing, how's the kids, how are the players doing, how's their kids, what do you think about the Knicks/Wolves/Lakers, who's going to win the Super Bowl, etc. etc. If they take any time in excess of 30 minutes, they MIGHT rehash the previous offers just to be sure they A) still have no grounds for acceptance and B) can claim that they at least talked about the CBA a little. Other than that, the rest of the day will be spent on the phone talking to the organizations and handling other affairs non CBA related.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm looking at the "talks" in a positive way. They didn't invite and aren't allowing the two men that won't talk to each other or do anything. The scary thing is that it is yet again the players asking to talk. Though, that could be a good thing. Maybe they'll cave. Also, some stuff I've been reading has said the bigger market NHL teams are starting to grumble because they are losing so much revenue.

Both sides need to move more towards the middle. I need my hockey fix. The weekends just aren't cutting it anymore. Damn WJC getting me addicted all over again. :huh: -

What stuff is that? From what I've heard, the big market teams are losing less money by not having a season than by having one. It's the small market teams that are hurting. Maybe I'm wrong (shocker, I know).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I believe the big market teams are some of the only ones that make money. Mainly due to their TV contracts. I'm talking about Philly and NYR. Read about it again in another column today on SI.com.

How cool would this be:

Let's say they work things out. Some writers/insiders have suggested that they have a 30 team playoff.

EDIT: I should note that big market teams do tend to spend more money on players.

Edited by cheeringsiouxfromsmoggycali

I just can't be optimistic about this season anymore. They've done too much to hurt the sport of hockey. Do you want to know what the best thing that could happen now?

Clean House on both sides.

NHL COmmish and staff fired. NHLPA staff all fired. Interim staff or new staff resume talks about next season.

No, that's not going to happen, but it would kinda be interesting.

I just can't be optimistic about this season anymore.  They've done too much to hurt the sport of hockey.  Do you want to know what the best thing that could happen now?

Clean House on both sides.

NHL COmmish and staff fired.  NHLPA staff all fired.  Interim staff or new staff resume talks about next season. 

No, that's not going to happen, but it would kinda be interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll join you in hopes that Bettman and Goodenow are both fired. I want people in charge who care about the game as much as the fans do.

If it takes sacrificing this season, which is just about what's happening, to make the game right again I'll take it. I don't want shootouts. I want better/consistant officiating. I don't want a playoff schedule that includes every team.

I love hockey. I miss pre-Bettman hockey more than I miss the NHL this season.

Are you serious?

I think of all the things the players have to concern themselves with, what a bunch of slackers (like me) say on a message board has to be way down there with "taking advice from the guy at the bar".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And I was positive the advice I gave Jeff Panzer that night at the Down UNDer was the reason they went on the win the NT in 2000. :0:huh:

If you guys think you're pissed about the NHL, check out Hockey Fan Slams Lockout in Own Obit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this guys, however, the greed of the players is going to keep the game from going on this season. The owners are also to blame since they paid these guys these contracts. There will be no season until a ground swell of players say we will play with a cap.

I agree with this guys, however, the greed of the players is going to keep the game from going on this season. The owners are also to blame since they paid these guys these contracts. There will be no season until a ground swell of players say we will play with a cap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's more than that. This is a lockout based on two evil factions wishing to control the other. The players look at the baseball union and say "Man! Look at them! They have the owners and front office around their fingers so much that they can dictate whatever they want, including steroids! I want that!" And the owners look at "Yeah, we're losing money hand over fist, which is why we aren't marketing our product and hurting ourselves even more! Plus, this lockout isn't costing us that much more money to do as opposed to doing something sensible, such as it would have been if we would have sat down and hammered this thing out before the CBA expired."

But don't worry, folks, they have met and agreed on two things:

1. SCREW the arena staff. We can always go to a temp agency to hire new ones or just hire anyone off the street when we finally decide to play again.

2. SCREW the fans. We don't need them. All we need is money. (They haven't figured out exactly what this lock out is going to do to the monetary income yet. But when they do. WOOOOOO. Hindsight is 20/20)