SiouxSports.com Forum

I hope the NHL comes back soon

shep

I am not saying Jeff Dubay has any credibility, I am just saying thats what he said. The man might be a Gopher rube but I think its coming down to this. The Players aren't going to accept a salary cap this season and the owners aren't going to budge. This sounds almost like a bad divorce case.

Honestly, I know Jeff Dubay is nothing more than a fan that works in a announcers job, how he got the job at KFAN I have no idea, maybe he has a rich uncle at the statioin... The man has a hard on for Minnesota hockey and anything Marroon and gold, and has no objectivity when it comes to sports. I was just passing it on because he could have heard something from someone in the wild org or something.

If I was a program director I would hire him for my part time staff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No way Dubay has any inside info. I would doubt that the Wild have any inside info. When the season is over we'll know. Though, it's more and more likely day-by-day.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was probably posted elsewhere, but Gretzky, about the only person the owners and players both respect, was quoted at the WJC by The Hockey News as saying he expects the lockout to go into next season.

There are some other issues that may pan out too. If the NHL is able to declare an "impasse" under US law, they can have more leverage to break the union and impose their "economic certainty" on the players through arbitration. However, doesn't mean the NHL players would come back, and it would increase the specter of replacement players. However, the more I think about it, the longer this goes on, more players like Blake may be willing to play for less $$$ for a few more years, rather than the "stars" who make $8-10M per season who seem more disposed to sitting out the season or two. :D

This was probably posted elsewhere, but Gretzky, about the only person the owners and players both respect, was quoted at the WJC by The Hockey News as saying he expects the lockout to go into next season.

There are some other issues that may pan out too.  If the NHL is able to declare an "impasse" under US law, they can have more leverage to break the union and impose their "economic certainty" on the players through arbitration.  However, doesn't mean the NHL players would come back, and it would increase the specter of replacement players.  However, the more I think about it, the longer this goes on, more players like Blake may be willing to play for less $$$ for a few more years, rather than the "stars" who make $8-10M per season who seem more disposed to sitting out the season or two.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The U.S. is the key. I believe they might have some problems when it comes to Canada.

However, the more I think about it, the longer this goes on, more players like Blake may be willing to play for less $$$ for a few more years, rather than the "stars" who make $8-10M per season who seem more disposed to sitting out the season or two.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could watch an NHL devoid of Brent Hull, Jagar, Jeremy R., Forsberg, Sackic and others thats the ones that are making 5-10 million every year. It beats not having hockey at all. I wish ESPN would at least pick up some of the AHL games.

I could watch an NHL devoid of Brent Hull, Jagar, Jeremy R., Forsberg, Sackic and others thats the ones that are making 5-10 million every year. It beats not having hockey at all. I wish ESPN would at least pick up some of the AHL games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have a dish with a sports pack, you normally get a couple AHL games a week.

You want a doomsday prediction?

5 years. The NHL as it is will only last for 5 more years. After that, citing no TV markets and almost minimal ticket sales, teams will start folding one by one. Probably start in Pittsburgh, then Carolina, Florida, Phoenix, Atlanta, Nashville, and so on until the first of the big teams fold: NY Islanders. From then, it will whittle away until only the original six remain. From then, the start up league WHA will be in full swing and, though it won't be nearly as popular, it will be running, the original six could merge with the WHA to reform the NHL.

How's that for stretching it?