SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux vs. CC

Let'sGoHawks!

You're right. I take back my accusation on you being a Troll, but still here's a little guideline I use. Take it or ignore it, your choice:

Criticism: Criticism is when an object, group, or event is judged and then advised on how improvement can be made in a positive and constructive manner. For example: The Sioux need to crash the net more.

Flaming: Any criticism that goes beyond what is generally considered constructive and is used solely for the purpose of berating and insulting a object, group, or event. For example: Hakstol should be fired because we're not blowing teams away and we are losing to teams that just played better than we did. Yeah, I know he's only had half a season, but he still sucks!

See the difference?

Modified my previous post accordingly.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hennessey savaging the officiating tonight.  Not using it as an excuse, but I think he makes some valid points.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A blatant, very obvious penalty on Jones wasn't called. You have to figure that the ref is going to take a Sioux player sooner or later to make up for the missed call. Sure enough, he gets Schneider for cross checking.

So what does Greene do when the Sioux are down a man when they can't afford to be? He yanks the skates out from under a CC player directly in front of the net and puts them down two men. It was easy to see what Greene did. He deserved the penalty.

Was the slashing penalty on Prpich a good call? I didn't think so. The ref probably thought Prpich slashed a CC player when his stick broke, but it looked like more of a freak play to me.

Undisciplined penalties down the stretch killed any UND chance to win. However, it was the inability to score 5-on-5 that ultimately cost the Sioux the game.

If they could have stayed out of the box they could have put some pressure on the last 5 min. Phil looked really good. He should start tomorrow night if they want to stay close again hes got the hot hand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, but don't bet on it. Hakstol is committed to the Lammy-JPar rotation system. I think for the stretch run, we should put Lammy in for all the big games and most of the games overall. He kept us in it tonight when we were down 5 on 3 late in the third and gave us a chance to tie it up. I think he's earned a second consecutive start, if only Hak would give it to him.

PCM,

My problem with the officiating tonight is that, for most of the game, they didn't call much. But in the last half of the third period, they started calling every penalty they could think of. Either call it for 60 minutes or let it go for 60 minutes. Be consistent.

Yes, our team is undisciplined at times. Yes, they need to start burying the puck. But I hate it when the officiating becomes a major part of the game at a critical time in the game. I don't like it in hockey or any other sport.

THE OFFICIATING DID NOT CONTROL THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME. Yes I was yelling thank you. Refs call penalties in the final minutes of the game all the time, whether it be makeup calls or not. The refs were not out to get the Sioux. There is no need to be discussing it right now. I bet if one were to look through the threads after a Sioux loss more than one person would mention refing, especially when TH makes a statement.

THE OFFICIATING DID NOT CONTROL THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That being said, Todd Anderson is still a terrible referee. The players at this level and the fans cheering them on deserve better. Perhaps that could be said about a lot of refs, past and present, but this guy really does a disservice to the game, in my opinion.

CC came to MN and swept the #1 team in the nation in their own barn. We come right back out to CC's home and play them tough.

Sounds like we had a little undisciplined play at the end that cost us. That is to be criticized. But on the big sheet, with a fast, offensively talented team we kept their SOG manageable and gave ourselves a chance to win.

Sounds like had we buried some chances we would have won.

Hakstol can't make players score goals.

I don't like to lose, but I can accept this one. Hopefully this team will knock off the undisciplined play tomorrow night at bad times. We can play with CC. Last week, lots of us wondered if we could even share the rink.

Can't wait for tomorrow night. I bet the boys in Green can't either.

I agree, but don't bet on it.  Hakstol is committed to the Lammy-JPar rotation system.  I think for the stretch run, we should put Lammy in for all the big games and most of the games overall.  He kept us in it tonight when we were down 5 on 3 late in the third and gave us a chance to tie it up.  I think he's earned a second consecutive start, if only Hak would give it to him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I missed most of Fargo Sioux Boosters this week, thus no recap from me, but I caught a very small portion of Berry's comments and he indicated that UND will likely go with one goalie down the stretch and that will probably be determined very soon. Perhaps the decision has been made . . . .

My problem with the officiating tonight is that, for most of the game, they didn't call much.  But in the last half of the third period, they started calling every penalty they could think of.  Either call it for 60 minutes or let it go for 60 minutes.  Be consistent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only questionable call I saw was the one on Prpich. Jones didn't get called for a penalty that was almost an exact duplicate of what he got called for in the first period.

Schneider then got called for cross checking. I didn't see it. Maybe it was a penalty and maybe it wasn't. If it wasn't, it made up for the one on Jones not called. If it was, the Sioux got a 2-for-1 deal (two committed, one called).

Greene's penalty was totally undisciplined. It should have been called. A captain should also know enough not to commit an obvious penalty when his team is already down a man late in a game when they still have a chance to win.

In my view, the penalty on Prpich was the only questionable call the ref made. I think the way Mike's stick broke and the manner in which he threw it away in disgust contributed to the perception that he had delivered a bad slash. Maybe it was something of a reputation call, too. Who knows.

I just got back from the game and all three goals were scored at my end of the rink. I can tell you that the Sioux played well and that both CC goals were due to a lack of backchecking and yes it was number 9 again on the game winner. I am not trying to offend any of his fans but it really is time for him to take a seat and think about his play or lack thereof. Number 20 seems to just drift aimlessly about the rink and I am beginning to believe that although he has the skills he doesn't have the hockey smarts required at this level. All of the defensemen did reasonably well and considering he was up against the number one team Radke had a solid game as did Bina. Finally, the referee, Anderson, was letting almost anything go for most of the third period. The players on both teams took note and started to take liberties with each other. Why he would wait until the last four minutes to start calliing again is beyond me :angry: Finally, Murray took a viscious chop to his right arm at the end of the game and left the arena in considerable pain. It didn't look good :D

I missed most of Fargo Sioux Boosters this week, thus no recap from me, but I caught a very small portion of Berry's comments and he indicated that UND will likely go with one goalie down the stretch and that will probably be determined very soon.  Perhaps the decision has been made . . . .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someone who was at that meeting told me that Berry did indeed say that the Sioux would be sticking with Lamoureux down the stretch. He played well tonight. He deserves a chance to get the win on Saturday.

I just got back from the game and all three goals were scored at my end of the rink.  I can tell you that the Sioux played well and that both CC goals were due to a lack of backchecking and yes it was number 9 again on the game winner.  I am not trying to offend any of his fans but it really is time for him to take a seat and think about his play or lack thereof.  Number 20 seems to just drift aimlessly about the rink and I am beginning to believe that although he has the skills he doesn't have the hockey smarts required at this level.  All of the defensemen did reasonably well and considering he was up against the number one team Radke had a solid game as did Bina.  Finally, the referee, Anderson, was letting almost anything go for most of the third period. The players on both teams took note and started to take liberties with each other.  Why he would wait until the last four minutes to start calliing again is beyond me :angry:  Finally, Murray took a viscious chop to his right arm at the end of the game and left the arena in considerable pain.  It didn't look good :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. 20 - James Massen

No. 9 - Quinn Fylling

With Massen, with how he's bounced around the past two seasons, I'm wondering if he and Fylling for that matter, knows what his role is anymore. A man at a workplace is just a man unless he knows what his role at the workplace is. I don't know enough about coaching hockey to say whether rigid role assignments can be made and still play the game to its fullest, but it could very well be that neither of these two players know what role they are supposed to be playing.

You wouldn't say the the call on Murray in the first period was questionable?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely not. He skated all the way down from near the blue line and cross checked a CC player up high well after the whistle. At the time I saw it, I thought, "How did he get away with that?"

Well, he didn't. It was a good call.

Finally, Murray took a viscious chop to his right arm at the end of the game and left the arena in considerable pain.  It didn't look good :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Geez. Hope Brady is alright. The game tomorrow has all the makings to be a classic Saturday night clash of titans in the WCHA. Sioux had the better hand most of the night, and were really taking to the Tigers. Lammy was hung out to dry on the two CC goals. CC defense blocked a ton of shots, and McElhinney made some fine saves. Bummer.

Tiger fans were, surprisingly, a bit classless. Barking at us after the game. No problem there. We gave it right back to them. Nice diving team. Really nice Runner-Up Banners.

We were in the end where the Sioux shot twice, bench side. A big game-ending pushing match down near the glass between some fine Sioux fans and some CC hacks. Not sure what happened, but it was a dour end to a fun night. The tensions were high on the ice as well.

Hate to say it, but the World Arena crowd has it all over The Ralph crowd, all things considered. Many more fans, much fewer socialites. We gotta get The Ralph to a place where opponents fear to tread.

Oh well. A loss to the No. 1 team. A tough tough loss. The Sioux played well. As far as I am concerned, the pieces all remain in place for a run to St. Paul, to Mariucci, and to Columbus. Just need to have a few more pucks find the back of the net is all, eh?

Absolutely not. He skated all the way down from near the blue line and cross checked a CC player up high well after the whistle. At the time I saw it, I thought, "How did he get away with that?"

Well, he didn't. It was a good call.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK fair enough. Are you there, because I thought it was for something different, and I guess that's what I get for watching it on TV.

dont want to seem like the villain in all these but we'll need a little more then some bounces to make that run. Being removed from that part of the country it might help to get some outside opinion. It doesn't take my old buddy Gary Monsonberger (a math teacher in the fargo area) to see how average this team is. They are still very young, this is the WCHA team of the future in my view. It's the year of the Gophs, Tigers, and Badgers. The Sioux need this game bad tomorrow night in my view, because they can't afford being swept by the top 4, and splitting with teams 6-10 in the conference that just won't cut it. I dont see the WCHA playoffs being good to them. I dont want to sound pessimistic but if this team goes to the NCAA its at an at large bid as either a 3 or a 4 and going out east and dueling with a BC or Maine. These boys will use this year to mature and the next couple of years will be fun to see.

It doesn't take my old buddy Gary Monsonberger (a math teacher in the fargo area) to see how average this team is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I talked to Gary at Cashwise tonight. We were both standing together in the checkout line. He was eyeing the chicklets; me the rolos! Anyway, I asked him about the new show on CBS starring that dude from Northern Exposure and that other guy that plays a math genius. He was pretty stoked. He told me he crunched the numbers and it showed that CC was in first and that UND was fighting for home ice. I said, "dude, you really know your hockey!" We had a good laugh. That Gary, he seems like quite a guy.

Hey quick question for those of you who watched the game on the fighting sioux sports network.  Is it true that newsman Pat Sweeney gave a head to my buddy Sal from Cando.  I got a call from my June who said she heard them say his name in the early 3rd period.  Far-fetched question but just curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

probably...he was talking about everything else BUT the play by play and what was happening with the game. He was bragging about how it was 40 degrees in Colorado and so cold back in GF while Phil made an unbelievable save!! FOCUS ON THE GAME YOU DOOFUS!!! (I know you didn't have BONEHEAD Bredahl to make mindless chatter this week but that doesn't mean you have to pick up the slack!)

Bad enough the broadcast looked like it was being shot from the surface of the MOON tonight (Colarado Cable Co's fault...not 'DAZ's I know) but a vivid description could have made the crappy pictures SEEM better! And NO I don't care if Sweeney knows the 2nd cousin of the guy that used to deliver the newspaper for the brother of the guy that runs the Zamboni for the Colarado Avalanche!! CALL THE GAME!!!