SiouxSports.com Forum

CC v. UM

7>4

CC beat UM 3-2 in overtime.  Tigers badly outshot the Gophers and really outplayed them.  Sertich got the game winner in OT.  Briggs looked pretty damn good for the Gophers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great game. CC is a real force. Can't wait to road trip to the Springs next week for what will be the premier college hockey series of the week, as this one is this week. You still have our tickets, 7>4? You're supplying them for all comers, ain't chu?

GreyEagle, the "friendly Gopher poster" here, called Foss a putz over on Pride on Lice. Just because Virg assumed that the CC-Goophie series was last night and tonight. How was Virg to know that La Don wanted to get his boys an extra night of rest after a tough series in Boston.

Downhill slide for the Goophs, here we come.

By the way, The Don was trashing GF at the BlueLine Bean Feed yesterday. Said everyone deserved a medal for spending the last three weeks in Grand Forks at the WJC.

Geez, Donny ought to get a medal himself then for all of the time that he and his staff are spending in Grand Forks chasing the real talent on his team, not to mention the heart and soul of his team.

Donny better not bite the hand that has been feeding his sorry hind end.

I watched the 3rd period and OT of the game and I must say that CC is the best team in the WCHA. With the scoring they have and the goaltending they are a force to be reckoned with. Sertich and Sterling are two of the best forwards in the nation and one should win the Hobey Baker.

I hate to say it but I think the Sioux are going to get dominated next week by CC if they don't come out to play 120 minutes of hockey. Lammy or Parise could keep us in the games but goaltending doesn't win hockey games, scoring does.

I hate to say it but I think the Sioux are going to get dominated next week by CC if they don't come out to play 120 minutes of hockey.  Lammy or Parise could keep us in the games but goaltending doesn't win hockey games, scoring does.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Marty, Marty, Marty. Where is your faith lad, or lassie?

Say three Hail Marys, take two aspirin, and then watch the Sioux go on a tear,

including taking at least three, if not four, against the Tigers.

I watched the 3rd period and OT of the game and I must say that CC is the best team in the WCHA.  With the scoring they have and the goaltending they are a force to be reckoned with.  Sertich and Sterling are two of the best forwards in the nation and one should win the Hobey Baker.

I hate to say it but I think the Sioux are going to get dominated next week by CC if they don't come out to play 120 minutes of hockey.  Lammy or Parise could keep us in the games but goaltending doesn't win hockey games, scoring does.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Goaltending won it all for DU last year.

Good point Smoggy. According to USCHO, backup for DU played 9 games last year. Johnson for UM has 1 game so far this year. I have to admit that I didn't think goaltending would be Minny's strong point but Briggs has been solid.

Good point Smoggy.  According to USCHO, backup for DU played 9 games last year.  Johnson for UM has 1 game so far this year.  I have to admit that I didn't think goaltending would be Minny's strong point but Briggs has been solid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear you there. They have been playing really well and if Briggs keeps it up, they'll be in the Frozen Four, since they get the big home ice for the regionals.

Is Columbus a NHL size rink?

Briggs has been excellent this year. He's half of the reason MN is where they are. IMO Potulny's hot start is responsible for 1/4 of it, and the strong play of freshmen defensemen the other 1/4. Otherwise MN's normally hot offense isn't carrying them as it has in the past other than their big line.

Also, I think the gophers might have a legitimate reason to cry because Briggs did make the intial save on the tying goal and it appeared the puck dissapeared but perhaps not for the ref standing over the play.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was hard to see on where that puck was on the replay, but you could see the puck near the post through a gap in Briggs' pads. The ref was right behind the net, so I gotta believe he would've blown it dead if he lost sight of it.

It was hard to see on where that puck was on the replay, but you could see the puck near the post through a gap in Briggs' pads. The ref was right behind the net, so I gotta believe he would've blown it dead if he lost sight of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was sitting right behind Briggs and I think Stevens or some Gopher D-man backed into it and it crossed the line. The only way it wouldn't be good is if the ref had blown the whistle, but I don't think he did. About a minute after that play it looked like CC scored again but the net came up and puck slid under with play continuing. Did anyone see that or was I and my section imagining things?

The Gophers margin for error is not large this year. If another scoring line does not emerge they will have a tough time the rest of the year. They obviously could still make it to the Frozen Four, but they would be unlikely to win either the McNaughton or Broadmoor.

The two Colorado schools are the best I've seen this season. They both are fast and deep. CC may be a little vulnerable as well in the NCAAs due to their reliance on Sterling and Sertich. Very similar to the Gophs with DI and RP.

On the first play in question, the ref never blew the whistle. It seemed to me like the puck was just in front of Briggs pads by his feet. It might have been partially covered, and when Briggs went into the net the puck followed.

I didn't see that second play.

Good assessment on the scoring for CC and UM. Much like the Sioux last year with Parise and Bochenski.

I was at the game in the corner (Section 4) on the "questionable" goal. Every gopher fan in my section was berating the refs from that point on for not blowing the whistle. From the stands, we couldn't see what was what, but the ref was directly behind the net. It looked like he had a clear shot at the puck which is why the whistle wasn't blown. I would have liked to see a replay from TV on that one. The replay screens on at Mariucci didn't show the goal.

It was a great game to be at, a lot of action at both ends. The Gophs outplayed the Tigers in the second, but it was all Tigers in the first and third. CC has a pretty solid team. It'll be interesting to see how UND matches up next weekend on the road. I'm hoping for a split.

Great game. CC is a real force. Can't wait to road trip to the Springs next week for what will be the premier college hockey series of the week, as this one is this week.  You still have our tickets, 7>4?  You're supplying them for all comers, ain't chu?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You really think a Sioux/Makato series was the "Premier college hockey series of the week" when the top 2 teams in the nation are facing off? I don't think so.

In the same manner, I don't think any games involving the Sioux are the premier games of the week at this point in the season the way our team is playing.

Sunday night game is 1-1 after the first period. CC is getting quite beat up physically by the Gophers and lost one of their regulars Patrosso with a concussion in last nights game and Sweat appears to be banged up tonight. With any luck CC will manage another win tonight but will be exhausted and hurting when the Sioux play them next weekend. I can only hope as I don't want to be in the World Arena to watch a lop-sided win by CC

About a minute after that play it looked like CC scored again but the net came up and puck slid under with play continuing.  Did anyone see that or was I and my section imagining things?

Replay of that one was shown tonight (Sunday). Puck definitely went in, through the 5 hole and under the back of the net, didn't even slow down. Net didn't look like it was oof the ice, but it obviously was.

3-2 CC to start the third. Based on what I have seen of his play, Sterling is the key to stopping CC. Sertich finishes off of Sterlings hard work. For your laugh of the day, Lucy's new target is USA Hockey. Apparently he intends to formally complain that Hgaemo was overplayed with his shoulder injury at the World Juniors. There is always someone out to shaft the poor Goofers. :silly: