SiouxSports.com Forum

CC v. UM

7>4

CC may be a little vulnerable as well in the NCAAs due to their reliance on Sterling and Sertich.  Very similar to the Gophs with DI and RP.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sertich and Sterling have been very good this season, but CC showed tonight that they have some depth with goals from Thauwald, Crabb, Brannigan and Polaski! Quite frankly, I am not surprised by the sweep. Despite the Gophers solid play thus far I have thought for some time that CC is the team to beat in WCHA this season - time will tell.

As for the Gophers, other than slowing their momentum and stopping their home win streak, the sweep shouldn't effect them too much considering how easy their remaining WCHA schedule is.

Chucko is continuing the physical and occasional cheap play he brought with him from the BCHL. Last year he crosschecked a guy in the face and knocked out some teeth if I remember. Tonite he dang near killed #21 for CC. I remember Gopher fans ripping Notermann for a less physical, yet similar hit.

In watching Chucko in a few games this year he definitely has an edge to his game. He likes to use his stick and play rough. I expect his profile will grow with time in the league. Hits like tonite's will draw the attention of the refs in the future.

Surprised to see MN get swept at home. When was the last time that happened? We're going to be going into a hornets nest next weekend. Let's hope we can steal one. I think that would be a successful weekend. CC has strong goaltending, and good offensive players that can really handle the puck.

Let's see what we're made of. Meanwhile, a scrappy Mankato squad gets two with MN. MN generally doesn't have "slumps" so I would expect next weekend they will be wanting to erase the memory of this weekend. Good luck to the Mavs.

Chucko is continuing the physical and occasional cheap play he brought with him from the BCHL.  Last year he crosschecked a guy in the face and knocked out some teeth if I remember.  Tonite he dang near killed #21 for CC.  I remember Gopher fans ripping Notermann for a less physical, yet similar hit. 

In watching Chucko in a few games this year he definitely has an edge to his game.  He likes to use his stick and play rough.  I expect his profile will grow with time in the league.  Hits like tonite's will draw the attention of the refs in the future. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dagies, you know he was dq'ed because Sheppard has it in for the Gophers! :silly:

Without trying to rile Gopher fans, the other thing about Chucko that warrants discussion is his lack of production thus far in WCHA games. Coming into tonight he had 4 points in 13 league games and during some of those games, at least, he was skating with the "two greatest forwards" thus far in college hockey (sorry, I won't attribute the quote), Potulny and Irmen.

I realize he hasn't skated with those two every game, but I am surprised his point production isn't higher. He is a good-sized kid and a first round draft pick. What's the skinny?

They are going to get the shaft in the post season just like two years ago.  Either go through Michigan in Michigan or come back to Mariucci and try to beat the Gophers for a third time in a season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sagard, I honestly don't know if it will be the "shaft" this season. Although both UM's are solid with great potential, Montoya's play during the WJ's certainly gives hope to any team that lands in the Michigan regional. And although the Gophs have looked pretty good and likely exceeded expectations, some holes were certainly exposed this weekend.

My guess is they best hope they don't drop too far in the power rankings as the season progresses and end as #2 seed (not likely to happen considering their schedule). I am not a statistical or pairwise guru, but if they dropped to a two seed and cc keeps chugging at a #1 seed, they both could feasibly end up at the Ucch (depending on how other things shake out and considering the NCAA's avoidance of first round conference matchups), which makes for an interesting battle to reach Ohio.

I could be way off base, but imagine the possibilities!

Chucko is continuing the physical and occasional cheap play he brought with him from the BCHL.  Last year he crosschecked a guy in the face and knocked out some teeth if I remember.  Tonite he dang near killed #21 for CC.  I remember Gopher fans ripping Notermann for a less physical, yet similar hit. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was a matter of time before some Gopher railed Sterling, in this case it turned out to be Chucko. CC did a fantastic job baiting the Gophers all weekend. Three times tonight the Gophers took stupid retaliation/instigation penalties.

In my opinion too much was expected from Chucko by many Gophers fans. He like Stafford last year entered as a 17 year old. His best hockey is a year or two away, I don't think he will be that much of a factor down the stretch.

Other than tonights hit he really hasn't delivered many cheap shots. Tallackson has taken over for Ballard as king of the stickwork. He was brutal this weekend. It's not like the refs aren't going to notice a guy who is likely 6'-7" on skates wind up with his 3 wood and take some guy out. Had he focussed on getting back instead of whining about the waived off icing the Gophers might have taken the lead into the 1st intermission.

Speaking of replay screens, it's about time they got them. I hear they are finally replacing the relic at center ice as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now you all are going to get me ranting. :silly:

Why replace the scoreboard with some extravagant piece of crap with video when you by policy are not going to show a single replay of anything important.

I'll tell you why. So the "U" can then sell commercial time to folks who wish to advertise on the scoreboard. So my season tickets go up so others can show me crap commercials. I guess I'll be thrilled to see the mug shots before the games.

I wish I wasn't simply a bandwagon Vikings fan, then I at least could have truly enjoyed that Packer humiliation.

According to reports, Lucia is frustrated with USA Hockey for overusing Hagemo during the WJ considering his shoulder injury; evidently he is going to making some calls tomorrow and if not for the injury this weekend's results may have been different.

I guess we can assume the Sioux lost Saturday night because a linesmen broke Stafford's nose (the reason for the shield during the bronze medal game) during the semi-final game! :silly:

According to reports, Lucia is frustrated with USA Hockey for overusing Hagemo during the WJ considering his shoulder injury; evidently he is going to making some calls tomorrow and if not for the injury this weekend's results may have been different.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lucia has been frustrated with them in the past as well. If I recall he didn't appreciate the lack of PT that Tallackson and maybe Guyer recieved in the '03 WJC.

Hagemo should have sat both nights this weekend if he is banged up, so the Don is just as guilty as USA hockey.

GreyEagle, the "friendly Gopher poster" here, called Foss a putz over on Pride on Lice.    Just because Virg assumed that the CC-Goophie series was last night and tonight.  How was Virg  to know that La Don wanted to get his boys an extra night of rest after a tough series in Boston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe Foss could read the schedule? And I do think Foss is a putz.

Chucko: Didn't see it but was told the hit from behind warranted a game DQ. I absolutely hate it when players do that crap and I don't care who the player is and hopefully The Don will ensure Chucko doesn't do it again. As far is his play I've been pleased. He has been improving every weekend IMO and gives MN a much needed physical presence at forward.

Lucia has been frustrated with them in the past as well. If I recall he didn't appreciate the lack of PT that Tallackson and maybe Guyer recieved in the '03 WJC.

Hagemo should have sat both nights this weekend if he is banged up, so the Don is just as guilty as USA hockey.

Sagard, that was my thought too when I heard about this. If Hagemo is that banged up he shouldn't have been used on Friday night. Maybe Hagemo didn't tell Sandelin how poorly he was feeling. How many guys would want to sit out of that tourney?

Greyeagle, from the replay I saw on tv Chuck definitely deserved a dq. Overall I will say that Chucko is the kind of player you like to have on your team but hate to play against. Except, as you say, for hits like this that are over the line. From a small amount I've seen of Chucko he seems to be much like Prpich in attitude. A little chippy, a little edgy, a little after the whistle.