SiouxSports.com Forum

Motley Crue to play the Alerus April 8th

SiouxperDave

The glam bands may have wrote a lot of simple three-chord songs, but at least they didn't play them sloppy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dave, you are mistaken. In fact, Nirvana is the only group to perform on MTVs unplugged in one solid, uncut, unedited concert. Everyone else from KISS to Neil Young had numerous edits. (hell, Neil Young re-recorded a whole show) To say that their instrumentation and musicianship was all a part of good marketing is simply not true. And this is coming from the biggest Warrant fan you've ever seen. :glare: I agree that the mass marketing toward the "Seattle Sound" killed the early 90s heavy metal bands. But to disregard any talent or any music from them because of their good marketing fortune would, IMO, be a mistake. And as far as "drug induced incoherent babbling" goes, Pink Floyd is still considered a legendary rock band. ???

edit: FWIW, I'm going to the Crue!

I realize that I'm just an old guy to all of you but I remember when Motley Crue was in there hayday. I hated them then and I still do but I think they'll do very well in this tour if they stick to their old stuff, its sad to see when people do reunions and play their new stuff. Frankie Valli and the 4 seasons is the closest example i can think of. Back in 78 they played the Pavillion in Saugus, Mass., and i wanted my money back and all i got was a kick in the pants by a security guard. Funny how that works isnt it.

I think Davek might just be mad because spandex went out of style. :glare:

Face it man, it was the 90's, a new decade. A new style was bound to take over. It just happen to be the Seattle sound. I knew a guy, who grew up, went to HS, and played with one of the guys in Pearl Jam. He said, after Teen Spirit hit, Music execs where crawling all over Seattle. You basically had to put on flannel and do a fairly big local gig there to get signed.

The photo's aren't showing up for me, except Billy Ray

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

geocities (along with Tripod et al) does not allow "hotlinking"- if you want to see the picture you can right click on the "user posted image" and cut and paste the url

and no- it is not a mullet- but that does not make it right

Some people like to use the term mullet rather loosely, as in any long hairstyle on a guy. I remember the days when long hair on guys was considered cool... what the hell went wrong with our society? Are we going back to the '50s now when it was unacceptable for guys to have long hair? Should we all get the backs of our necks shaved right up to the hairline to avoid the mullet label? Give me a break!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mullet

I guess if anyone killed rock n roll I would give it to crappy glam rock bands like Kiss and Motley Crue.  People got sick of guys dressed up as $2 hookers playing crap music. 

I will agree with MTV being complete crap, but Nirvana was far from killing rock music.  They just made a new style of it popular.  Nirvana is on the same level as Kiss et al talent wise, but Cobain was a much better songwriter - or at least kids in the 90's could related better to his lyrics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't agree with you more.

Obviously there were a lot of angry kids in the mid '90s who could relate to him. I wasn't an angry kid in the mid '90s, I was a happy kid in the mid '80s.

You've hit upon the concept that I don't get: What did those 90s kids have to be so "angry" about exactly?