SiouxSports.com Forum

I know Canada is Good - But

Fetch

I see nothing but the truth in that article. Team Canada toyed with Slovakia on Saturday and steamrolled Sweden yesterday. The other teams in Group B have showed nothing. Canada will walk into the medal round. Whether they get a test there remains to be seen. Russia has the forwards but are they disciplined enough in their own zone? The US doesn't have near the depth that Canada does and it looks unlikely at this point whether Montoya can carry the team. Canada has weaknesses - goaltending is a unknown and they can't seem to stay out of the penalty box - but 4 days in - I would say the gold is Canada's to lose. Of course, they've been in that position before.

I really enjoyed seeing the Canadian fans get into yesterday's game. REA was really jumping. However, I could have done without hearing 100+ red & white fans chant "USA sucks" in the concourse afterwards. We are constantly being scolded by our friends up north about our supposed "classless" behavior and jingoism. Look in the mirror.

From what I've seen thus far, last year's USA team was much more complete than this version. I've only seen snippets of the Canadian team so far, but I've been pretty impressed. If USA keeps playing like they did last night, and much of the Russia game, especially in their own zone, they can kiss the "repeat" away.

Let the Canadians talk all they want! They won't face a serious challenge in their pool and probably only if and when they meet the Russians in the crossover. Glass has been okay but not super solid in net - that might be their vulnerability if the US can keep Crosby in check and away from the doorstep on powerplays. That guy is such a keen opportunist he makes ZPar look "average" (and that's saying a lot)

The US can hope for another "miracle" if they make it to the gold medal game. I have been impressed by the Canadian fans (especially Monday and excluding the EXTREMELY drunk ones) They stayed in their seats in a blowout...singing and chanting...TRUE hockey fans I'd say. Sioux fans could learn a little from them...like not worrying about getting out of the parking lot early and just ENJOYING THE MOMENT!!! They had the Ralph rocking on Monday like the old Ralph used too....I never realized until then how much I missed the old place...

Thing to remember about the Canadian fans is that only the rowdiest are the ones who will fly/drive to attend a tournament like this. If 10,000 Sioux fans flew/drove to Boston for a game only the rowdiest would be there too. Sounds like fun atmosphere. Wish I could be there for some of it. Love that stuff.

It is absurd to compare this tournament to the NHL. Every time we watch a tournament such as this or the Olympics we all yap about how great it is...and it is great. However, just think about it for a few moments.

There is substantially more talent in the NHL than in this tournament. Anyone disagree with this? It should be obvious.

Think about how good the NHL would be if you had only 10 teams and played a very short schedule. The NHL is boring because there are too many teams, watered down talent, too long of a schedule and a bad instigator rule.

Trapping? Clutching, grabbing, hooking? This is occurring during these games in GF. Don't kid yourselves.

Some of these games are blowouts. If you had a whole season of these the attendance would significantly drop and you would be complaining about how boring the games are.

So, please, stop comparing this tournament to the NHL. Enjoy it for what it is.

It is absurd to compare this tournament to the NHL.Ā  Every time we watch a tournament such as this or the Olympics we all yap about how great it is...and it is great.Ā  However,Ā  just think about it for a few moments.

There is substantially more talent in the NHL than in this tournament.Ā  Anyone disagree with this?Ā  Ā  It should be obvious.

Think about how good the NHL would be if you had only 10 teams and played a very short schedule.Ā  Ā  The NHL is boring because there are too many teams,Ā  watered down talent, too long of a schedule and a bad instigator rule.

Trapping?Ā  Clutching, grabbing, hooking?Ā  This is occurring during these games in GF.Ā  Don't kid yourselves.

Some of these games are blowouts.Ā  If you had a whole season of these the attendanceĀ  would significantly drop and you would be complaining about how boring the games are.

So, please,Ā  stop comparing this tournament to the NHL.Ā  Enjoy it for what it is.

I don't watch as much NHL hockey as you do, but from what I've seen, and from the few games I've watched I'd take WJC hockey any day. You are right about too many teams in the NHL. Probably too many games too.

I will say I'm always amazed at the skill of the NHL guys when I watch them. That said, it seems like they have too little time and space to do anything with that skill. That's why I prefer these junior games. You can see the skill the kids possess, and you get to watch them display it. They don't always have to pass the puck within .5 seconds of receiving it. Put the big boys on bigger ice and take out the goons and I think the NHL would be much more interesting to watch. I don't even care if they have the occasional fight. But I'd rather see it between Jason Blake and Eric Westrum than I would a couple of heavyweights who are holding a roster spot open just for "protection".

But let's not get into the "take fighting out of hockey" discussion here. My main point is that I'd like to see NHL players have more time and space to operate in.

i wanna throw this one out there for ya'll to debate.

Does anyone think that Gretzky would flourish in today's game as much as he did in his era of NHL???

i'm not taking anything away from gretzky's skills and pure ability to play the game of hockey. He is and will always be one of the if not the greatest to play the game.

i wanna throw this one out there for ya'll to debate.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 

Does anyone think that Gretzky wouldĀ  flourish in today's game as much as he did in his era of NHL???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably yes. Much like the NBA milked Michael Jordan for a broader appeal, the NHL did the same to Gretzky, and tried to do it to Lemieux. As such, they would have worked to protect their "jewel". Guys like Gretzky got that way by being able to play through MJ goons, third-rate players just up from the AHL, etc. Production may have been lower if they played today, but Gretzky, Richard, Howe, etc. were just born to play at the top.

That said, I found myself more interested in watching the WJC on TV that most Wild games at the X. There's something to be said for wide-open hockey.

Methinks the Edmonton teams from 1984-87 would flourish in any era. Gretzky had a very solid group to play with, and coaching philosophies were certainly different than they are today, but Gretzky's skills are timeless, IMO.

To me, it is the coaches who are mainly responsible for the type of play in the NHL. They are the ones who instruct their players to play certain roles and in systems which limit their ability to create and be exciting.

I've been a College Hockey fan (Sioux) for about 20 years.

Never played the game

But have really come to Love it & Respect it & even think I know what is Good or OK or Poor.

I used to say why don't they make the nets a foot wider & higher & make it more of a scoring race like other sports ?

But I have learned to appreciate the defensive side of the sport - But that said I like to see them be able to skate & pass & score

Many used to say it was the last sport for medium sized guys - can excel at -- But to have the chance to see the really skilled players (No matter the size ) ;) I could watch Hockey like the WJC every week

Maybe there needs to be a REAL World Hockey League - to replace the NHL ? ? ?

Have a World Junior League to be the feeder programs ---Maybe a World Senior League too :D So Gretzky could still be playing - (I'd pay to see him) :silly:

USA lost to Belerus 5-3Ā  ;)

But were still in it

Looks like Canada will coast thru this unless we have yetĀ  another MiracleĀ  :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hate to toss cold water on the American hopes (though I think they did enough of that themselves last night) but I'm seeing a Canada-Russian final.

Thus far, the Canadians haven't really been challenged. It is a GREAT team from top to bottom.

Americans showed what they can do in the first 1/2 of the game vs russkies. Unfortunately, they've done nothing since.

Unless they realize that at this level of play you need 60 good minutes of hockey it could be a disapointing medal round for them.

Note to Team USA: It is entirely permissible to check the opposing player under the following conditions:

(a) When that player has possession of the puck; and

(b) When that player has possession of the puck in your zone.

Front desk to Ryan Suter: Keep playing like that and you'll have a very forgettable and short pro career.

Americans showed what they can do in the first 1/2 of the game vs russkies.Ā  Unfortunately, they've done nothing since.

Unless they realize that at this level of play you need 60 good minutes of hockey it could be a disapointing medal round for them.

Note to Team USA:Ā  It is entirely permissible to check the opposing player under the following conditions:

(a)Ā  When that player has possession of the puck;Ā  and

(b)Ā  When that player has possession of the puck in your zone.

Front desk to Ryan Suter:Ā  Ā  Keep playing like that and you'll have a very forgettable and shortĀ  pro career.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After watching last night's game, I assumed this was a "no checking" league.

You mean they CAN check? Wow.

Hate to toss cold water on the American hopes (though I think they did enough of that themselves last night) but I'm seeing a Canada-Russian final.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You won't be seeing that final if the US can bounce back and defeat the Czechs. They need their best effort yet and force the Canadians and Russians into a semifinal tilt.

You won't be seeing that final if the US can bounce back and defeat the Czechs. They need their best effort yet and force the Canadians and Russians into a semifinal tilt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will be one hell of a final either way...some fun hockey to watch thus far. Saw a ton of empty seats last night though in the REA. Place looked about 2/3 full at most.