SiouxSports.com Forum

I know Canada is Good - But

Fetch

Very poor showing by the American fans.  No excuse.  Too cheap to cough up a bit of  money for the best hockey ever to be played in your back yard.

Inexcusable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know...I think the weather had a little something to do with Thursday attendance. Those of us who made the trip from Fargo saw a very exciting game. I have told everyone that missing it would be like missing the olympics. There really is no excuse to not attend at least a few games but :silly:?

I'm sure some have heard this. I got a Sioux Insider e-mail on Thursday and heard it on WDAZ last night. All remaining seats for the WJ games on Monday are $5! It is WJ Appreciation Day for all the volunteering and support the communities have put up. I got 2 additional tickets for $24 on Ticketmaster.com, you know, $10 for the tickets and $14 for "convienience fees". If USA loses to Sweden tonight, they will be playing for 5th place Monday night. I think it is a REA/USA Hockey ploy to take the WJ attendence record from the '03 tournament in Halifax but it's a great deal to see great hockey.

They must have sold out now.  Ticketmaster.com is showing no tickets available, online at least, for tonights game.

$5 I can afford, $40 is way too steep for me regardless of the quality of the game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For MONDAY. The were announcing it all afternoon and evening tonight.

Supretrex,

I agree that the weather must have a little to do with the bad attendance; but I also totally agree with what you say when you compare these games to the Olympics.......it is perhaps the most compelling reason to attend.

People are gonna look back ont his a few months from now and think, "Gee, I wish I would have gone to some of those games."

This could be a once in a liftetime thing. I'd rather spend a little money now, enjoy the games and not have any regrets.

It's hard to get a read on Canada. They did not face very good competition in Group B. This is proven by U.S.A. pounding Sweden (at least in the third) and the Czech's beating Finland.

One strange thing I've noticed is that many of the teams have some great offensive players making some tremendous moves. The one game of Canada's that I saw, there wasn't one jaw dropping move. Still, though, they make great plays as a TEAM on offense. A lot of passes across the front of the net. Defenses need to clog the middle.

Canada has not played a close game and that may be their undoing like last year. Plus, they dump and chase, so a team like Russia that has speed should be able to grab the puck and get it out of the zone. Too bad Russia really has no defense.

I watched the Canada/Czech game today and they were really sharp offensively.

Defensively, I suppose they were pretty good, or maybe the Czechs flat out sucked. Either way Glass (Canada's goaltender) wasn't really tested. The only Czech goal came on the penalty kill when Olesz beat him 5 hole on a rather weak shot from just outside the faceoff dot in Canada's zone.

Marek Schwarz is a quality goaltender and Olesz can score goals. Czech's penalty kill is very good. Other than that, this team stinks. I haven't seen such poor passing since UND played Minnesota in the Saturday routing of the Sioux.

DUring the first period they had 3 shots on goal. I don't think they even attempted more than 6 shots all period total, including the shots on goal. Terrible.

I think Russia CAN beat Canada if they pepper the net with shots, force Canada to play defense.

Next up for the US- Try to correct the ship and win against a Czech team that should have been relatively easy to beat in the first place for Bronze.

• 2 weeks later...