SiouxSports.com Forum

Manitoba

sprig

I just want to say that after Zach scored his first goal in Engelstad he knew where to come celebrate. Right in front of me. :p I couldn't hear what Brian said during the interview as I was right on the glass. Could someone at least give a couple more hints? It sounds like I missed some good stuff. :p

In the second period last night there was a "oh-oh" moment.... Did anyone else watch the Detroit vs. Anaheim game on 10/13, Anaheim pulled their goalie on a delayed Detroit penalty and Detriot "scored" a goal when an Anaheim player tried to send a feed from behind the Detroit net and it went down the ice into the Anaheim empty net..... When the puck did a slow trickle to the Sioux net in the 2nd period last night I was getting a little nervous - was it Matt Jones who caught it before it got to the crease?

I'm assuming the hit everyone keeps talking about is the one where he got hit just inside of the blue line. He just stood there looking at the puck because there was a delayed offsides and just got run over.

wasn't that massen who got "the hit"?? If it was adelayed offsides why did he stand their lookin at the puck instead of getting back

The hit I'm thinking of happened in the "zamboni"/south end - and it was Ryan (5'9" 180lbs soph born 1982) vs. #11 (6'0" 192lbs fr born 1981). He really didn't have a chance, 11 had him pretty much lined up - I remember thinking that he/Ryan did really good to withstand the hit as right away they seemed to bounce off of each other then Ryan just sort of went down (11 didn't "skate through" him - he was "propelled" back too, but he didn't go down). Was it Andy S. who administered/had a really big hit too? James M. had a lot of good hits also.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - I was just so happy to be watching a game my rose colored glasses may have distorted my recollections.

When the puck did a slow trickle to the Sioux net in the 2nd period last night I was getting a little nervous - was it Matt Jones who caught it before it got to the crease?

I believe you're right that it was Matt Jones who caught up with the puck just before it went into the empty Sioux goal. He then passed it to Connelly who passed it to Genoway who scored the goal on the bad Manitoba line change.

Edit: I suspect the reason that the Sioux caught Manitoba on the bad line change was because the Bison thought the puck was going to slide all the way down to the other end of the ice. But when it became apparent that the puck was headed for UND's goal, Jones sped up to catch it, then alertly passed it up ice to Connelly who fed it to Genoway for the score.

I didn't even know the other team could score a goal on a delayed penalty... That would have sucked!!!

If you pass the puck into your own empty net on a delayed penalty, it counts as a goal for the other team. In other words, the other team can't score a goal on you, but you can score a goal on yourself.

That's the difference between last year and this year - with the "new" arena curse that puck would've gone in last year (even if there had been a goalie there) - this year it's the "old" ralph so some of the old magic is reappearing (even though it was "just" Manitoba).....

Last night when that puck was heading for the empty net my significant other had the look on his face like, oh no, not again (1st home game with a goal scored from couple 100 feet away like last year) - sort of like the look that was on the face of the gopher fan in the national title game when Hauser had his mini melt-down.....(I'm happy that a WCHA team won the title last year - obligatory nice comment as I noticed Greyeagle was in residence) anyway that guy's facial expression was priceless!

From 4-9 of the 2003 rules:

If, after the referee has signaled a penalty (but before the whistle has

been blown), the puck enters the goal of the nonoffending team as the

direct result of the action of a player of that team, the goal shall be

allowed and the penalty signaled shall be assessed.

And from 6-17.d:

A goal shall be credited in the scoring records to a player who propels

the puck into the opponents

The hit I'm thinking of happened in the "zamboni"/south  end - and it was Ryan (5'9" 180lbs soph born 1982) vs. #11 (6'0" 192lbs fr born 1981).  He really didn't have a chance, 11 had him pretty much lined up - I remember thinking that he/Ryan did really good to withstand the hit as right away they seemed to bounce off of each other then Ryan just sort of went down (11 didn't "skate through" him - he was "propelled" back too, but he didn't go down).

kr, you're right, it was Connelly. The *smack* of the two bodies hitting each other was loud, and I remember thinking it looked like a hit that could have broken a nose or two. I think their helmets might have hit.

As for the Canady interview, I'll indulge those of you who weren't there. :p Besides the "other guy" comment regarding a scar on his face, BC was being asked about the other teams in the WCHA. He said that Denver looks to be really solid this year, and they are the team to beat, besides the Sioux. And then..."MN isn't that good. They're overrated." It was completely tongue-in-cheek, as someone mentioned earlier, and he obviously said it to get a reaction out of the crowd. And the crowd ate it up. :p BC definitely has interview charisma, and he made listening to a Katie O'Keefe interview bearable.

My thoughts are pretty much the same as everyone else for the game. I thought Lundbohm had many great chances, but just never ended up with a goal (either deflection or good save by the goalie). Massen's first goal impressed me. It reminded me of the game against Tech last year when he got his hat trick. He completely out-muscled the defenseman draped on him, and went in alone on the goalie.

I thought Connelly, Palmiscino, and Leinweber looked much improved, so hopefully those 3 guys can earn more playing time this season. I really liked Connelly last year, and I was disappointed when he was injured. He adds a lot of speed to the team. jk, I'm with you. I like the speed of this year's team compared to last year.

sort of like the look that was on the face of the gopher fan in the national title game when Hauser had his mini melt-down.....(I'm happy that a WCHA team won the title last year - obligatory nice comment as I noticed Greyeagle was in residence) anyway that guy's facial expression was priceless!

Awwww shucks. :O

That could have been me you saw - depends on which meltdown it was.

Last time I saw a team do that was SCSU at Mariucci 2-3 years ago. It was priceless. Pass from behind the net right up the slot and 200 feet later we were playing the Rouser and killing a penalty.

Nah, Doug Woog still owns that title. ;):p

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

That title is forever Sid Hartman's. ;);):p

I couldn't figure out why Connelly was just standing there until I saw the flash of black and heard the impact (in the upper deck).

Matt Jones caught that puck by the length of the blade of his stick.

The most important thing I take away from Tuesday night was the level of communication I heard amongst the players on the ice. Yes, from the upper deck I heard Spie, Lundbohm, and Genoway calling to each other for the puck. Actually, I think I heard every line talking out there. Part of that may have been 7100 fans (hey, it's an exhibition) but part of it is that these guys actually appear to be communicating and working together this early in the year.

just some general impressions from the game:

Thought Genoway played well in his first game. Lots of enegy, contributed right away.

Sophie played an entire period without giving up a goal ;)

Leinweber looked solid (I no longer hold my breath)

Dang near went into euphoric shock when Money hustled back into position defensively :p

Marvin makes a better door than a window. He slammed a couple of players quite nicely :p

Saw the captain score, got a couple laughs from Canady, and a cheerleader fell on her ass. All in All a good night ;)

The other thing I noticed is that the Money Player seems to have increased his speed from last year quite a bit. Last year he seem to be lethargic on the ice. He seemed like an extra jump was there. And not to sound like a certain Boston College fan....I can see Parise and the Money Player on the same line as Murray next year........Ah, the scoring potential on that line.

And Lienwebber looked great, he used his body well to move the opposing player away from the puck....He also seemed to move the puck well. The other thing I was a little disappointed about is that Schneider didn't have a rematch with the guy he beat the crap out of last year at the game. I guess it shows that this team is a little more disciplined than last years.