SiouxSports.com Forum

Manitoba

sprig

Seems that several of us cannot access the streaming audio feed as we usually do. Anyone in GF around that can get it (would guess if you are you're at the game). 'Bout time to call the station for info :p

I agree, doesn't seem to be up. I guess it's not surprising that they forgot to "flip the switch" for the Tuesday night exhibition.

I'm glad I had free tickets in a suite to the Wild game tonite so I didn't have to stay home and suffer kissing my sister, so to speak.

I read the USCHO thread and I felt your pain. Actually, it is kind of humorous. It is vaguely reminiscent of some sort of cataclysmic event when lines of communication are down and the people out on the frontier undergo hardships for the common good.

I would like to say that Brad Bombardir leads the NHL with a +8 rating. And because he does I'll say it.

I would really like to hear a game wrap-up from anyone who attended the Manitoba game tonite. Sounds like there was good stuff that happened. I know, it is only Manitoba, but did I read that Massen had 2 goals? And Genoway scored, and Hale? That's great. Nice to see these guys lighting the lamp. I think someone also posted the line of Massen, Palmo and Connelly really played well. If so, that is also excellent news. We'll see if that can continue this weekend.

Peace, all you Hardies.

P.S. someone posted that Speez had an assist. While I am very impressed, Speez, I am surprised Blais found it necessary to suit you up, what with the injuries to Canady, Prpich, and Greene. What is your position, and do you really have any eligibility or do we need to hide this from our POI friends?

(Administrator, thanks for setting up the avatar. I look great.)

P.S. someone posted that Speez had an assist.  While I am very impressed, Speez, I am surprised Blais found it necessary to suit you up, what with the injuries to Canady, Prpich, and Greene.  What is your position, and do you really have any eligibility or do we need to hide this from our POI friends?

(Administrator, thanks for setting up the avatar.  I look great.)

Dagies,

Just as surprised as you were when I saw that. We all have to do what is best for the team.

Can't hide anything from the POI guys. Even a newbie gets jumped on for an innocent post on another board.

Mention the Fighting Sioux and they'll be around.

Counting on PCM, etc. to give us the lowdown on the game.

Scoring summary (from http://siouxsports.com/hockey/result.php?G...MEDATE=20021022 :p )

Zach Parise (David Lundbohm, Quinn Fylling)

James Massen (Tyler Palmiscno, David Hale)

Colby Genoway (Ryan Connelly, Matt Jones)

Ryan Hale (Jason Notermann, Colby Genoway)

Brandon Bochenski (unassisted)

James Massen (Tyler Palmiscno, Ryan Connelly)

Nice to see the scoring spread around a bit, especially from the 1st years. Great to get a couple points out of Genoway in his first game. Parise continues to light the lamp. And, how about that Massen?

I just submitted my game recap to USCHO, so I can now take a few minutes to post my impressions of the game here. First, let me say that dagies looks very familiar, although I can't quite recall where I've seen him before. Second, Speez is darn fast for an old fart. :p

UND Goal 1: Power play by Parise. Great cross-ice pass from Lundbohm to Parise for the one-timer. Important safety tip: Nobody should leave young Zach all alone on the power play.

UND Goal 2: Massen gets a good pass from Palmiscno to break in one-on-one. He powers through the defenseman and flips in a nice backhander. This was a great example of how Massen should be using his size and strength.

UND Goal 3: As Blais said, this was almost a carbon copy of the goal Michigan scored on UND during a bad line change. There was a delayed penalty on the Bison and all the Manitoba players came off at once, enabling Genoway to skate in unopposed. He made a nice deek and flipped in the backhander.

UND Goal 4: On a Sioux power play, Jason Noternann used his speed to get around the defense and put a hard, low shot on goal. Ryan Hale was in position to jam in the rebound, despite having a defenseman hauling him down.

Manitoba Goal 1: With a 4-0 lead, the Sioux were a bit lethargic to start the last period. Siembida was screened when the Bison defenseman shot from the point and probably never saw the puck. Blais didn't seem to think that Josh had any real chance to make the save.

UND Goal 5: Bochenski atones for his unforgivable give-away in his own zone while the Sioux are on the power play by going nearly coast-to-coast and scoring unassisted 4-on-4. I thought it was a soft goal, but it was fun to watch.

UND Goal 6: Massen exhibits very quick hands and the advantage of his long reach when Palmiscno passes to him from behind the net. From a sharp angle, he put the puck into the top corner in the blink of an eye.

Offense: Aside from the let-down early in the third period, the Sioux forwards dominated the play, often controlling the puck in Manitoba's zone for long stretches -- and it wasn't just the Parise line. The Sioux definitely did not look like a one-line team. Blais was very happy with Genoway's and Massen's performances. (By the way, I'm told that Geonoway is pronounced with a hard G.) Blais, as usual, mixed the line combos quite a bit. Officially, the lines were:

1. Spiewak, Lundbohm, Genoway

2. Bochenski, Parise, Fylling

3. Notermann, McMahon, R. Hale

4. Palmiscno, Connelly, Massen

Defense: Once again, the opposition had difficluty getting shots on goal, even though Matt Greene did not play. Blais credited that to good team defense and the forwards doing a good job of back checking. Lee Marvin had a couple of big hits and looked solid. Leinweber's experience shows. I thought he played a smart game. The defensive pairings were:

1. Schneider, D. Hale

2. Jones, Fuher

3. Marvin, Leinweber

Goal tending: If you read my USCHO game recap, you'll see that Blais said that he wanted Siembida in when the game was on the line. I took this to mean that he thinks Josh is most likely to emerge as the team's top goalie. He also said that he thought they could have won with either Brandt or Sofie in net for the final period. However, he gave full credit to Siembida for making a couple of big saves that could have changed the game's momentum if Manitoba had scored.

Certainly the Sioux will face much more difficult opposition down the road, but I'm encouraged by the fact that this team -- so far -- is winning the games it should win by wide margins. That's the mark of a good team and something we didn't see often last season.

Off your recap..

"With the Sioux on the power play, junior forward Ryan Hale put UND up 4-0 at 17:40 of the second period when he stuffed in the rebound off senior forward Jason Notermann's shot."

I think it was a little more than stuffin in a rebound. Hale got a full wind up, and wow what a shot he has.

PCM, I heard from someone in Anchorage that journalism school might help you keep your facts straight.

Thanks to all for the game information. More than the score and the statistics, it's nice to hear that they look good.

Very frustrating night trying to listen to hockey. In addition, a boring WS game.

Somebody in GF needs to kick some arse at clear station (xl93) so they get the server up by this weekend :p Server still not up this morning, not that I want to listen to music at 7AM.

"Palmiscno threw one out front for me," Massen said. "I just pulled it out, shot it up far side and had a lot of net to work with. It doesn't hurt being tall and having long arms."

"In a building like this, you have to be successful," he said. "We have to take back the home-ice advantage that was such an important tool in the old building."

It's nice to see that Mr. Massen is beginning to understand:

1. He's bigger than most and it's OK to use it as an unfair advantage. :p

2. You have to work and take to be successful in the WCHA. They'll give you nothing.

If Lundbohm, Massen, and Genoway play like that all season, the defense continues to introduce opponents to the boards between the blueline and the dot, and Blais' comments about his Z-Q-B line are anywhere near close, this could get really interesting.

I'd side more with PCM on Hale's goal (physical effort more so than shot). When I saw the replay of how Ryan hit the boards I flashed to how Potulny hit the boards and broke his leg. I was very happy to see Ryan skate away with a smile.

Here's how I remember Hale's goal: Notermann and Hale broke into the Bison zone 2-on-2. Notermann carried the puck in on the goalie's right, put on a burst of speed and got around the defenseman. The goalie did a nice job of cutting down the angle, which gave Jason little to shoot at. Hale was going hard to the net on the goalie's left with the other Bison defender ragging him.

Notermann uncranked a hard, low shot. (Perhaps it was Notermann who had the "full wind up.") It sounded like the puck hit the goalie's stick before rebounding at an angle off to the left. At that point, it was a race to the loose puck. I assume the defender realized that if Hale got there first, he'd have a wide open net to shoot at.

Hale got his stick on the puck and shot it in for the goal just as he was being hauled down by the Manitoba player. From where I was sitting, I had a very good view of Hale's goal, although my view of Notermann's shot was somewhat obstructed.

Hale showed excellent hustle on the play and got off a nice shot under pressure. Perhaps saying that Hale "stuffed in the rebound" understated his effort, but I don't always try to describe every goal in great detail.

My thoughts on a few things:

The Sioux came out very motivated and dominated play. I was surprised at the intensity. Manitoba generated nothing offensively until late in the second period. At that point, the Sioux looked to be taking a few more chances and it led to more opportunities for Manitoba. Siembida was the only goalie tested and he did fine.

Leinweber and Marvin played well together; solid positional hockey. I was pleased with Leinweber's play towards the end of last year and he looked good again last night. He won't be the best defenseman but he's not going to be a liability either. We will put 6 solid defensemen on the ice each night.

David Lundbohm on the point for the power play was a surprise. I didn't know if they used him this way in New York or not but he's never struck me as a power play quarterback kind of forward (like Panzer or Ulmer). Tough to tell how special teams performed because the talent level difference was big. Penalty kill will be a key for the Sioux this year.

Fylling is a completely different player from two years ago; he's stronger on his skates, glides more than just "skates fast", and did a good job checking on both ends. He seemed to have a little bad luck with the puck last night (always a few inches off) but that'll change. Props to Kuhninca for predicting this.

I'm no hockey expert but I sat with a friend who's quite knowledgeable. Other than the one-timer (which was sweet), I though Parise had a pretty nondescript game. All my buddy could do was oohhh and aahhh. At one point late in the game he said "you know when a guy is mucking in the corner and with his back to the net centers a pass to nobody? When Parise does that, someone will be there, otherwise, he won't make that pass. He'll just know."

Very impressed with Ryan Connelly.

Thanks PCM and diggerdan, and everyone else for your thoughts on the game last night. I live in the TC and I wasn't able to even listen to the game last night. Sounds like the team came out fired up even for Manitoba and noone took them lightly, that's a good sign for the rest of the season. I also like the scoring down the lines, that's a plus for depth. It's going to be an exciting season!!!

Thanks all for your insight and comments. Really helps to know what is going on. Yes, Manitoba was basically a patsy but the Sioux treated them like one, and it wasn't just a one line show.

Time to ratchet it up one notch, and see how they all react against Niagara. Right now the boys must have some confidence and will be ready to go.

Sicatoka pointed out some very telling comments. I really like the home-ice one.

Thanks again.

Tim and Swyg Wednesday morning interview with Asst. Coach David Hakstol. (yes, the game was against Manitoba, but they played the game well) Once again the team held the opponent to under 20 shots on goal. It was a fast start for the team, played with speed and they cycled well. This year it's possible that there will be good depth on offense, a balanced attack. There was a lot of jump. Good chemistry on the ice and in the locker room. They're going to try to keep it simple and looking forward to having a good year.

James M. looked pretty good, he played with a ton of energy, and that's the key. He finished his checks and he has great hands. The team needs him to continue to play like that; he's young, but he has to work towards consistency.

Need to play well this weekend against a good Niagara team. They really got after Michigan in the Buffalo tourney; they didn't play "to lose", agressive.

Matt Greene will be back in the lineup, Brian Canady not too sure as of this morning; if he can't play on Friday no one wants to be the one to tell him he can't play :p

End of interview.

My thoughts on the game echo what has been stated - the BB, QF, ZP line, wow -- if I had been a UMN fan I probably would've given Lou N. and Glenn S. fuel money towards their roadtrip to go talk to ZP :p

but ZP doesn't do it alone, BB was "Mr. Charlie Hustle" out there and QF was all over the place. They are just fun to watch - chemistry.

Does Coach Blais also teach the boys how to do an interview? Brian C. pre-game interview at the Ralph was pretty funny (sort of had a "Blais" bluntness to it).

The defense: did any of the d-men get walked around? I don't recall that happening. I was very happy for Chris L., he might not be as big as the other d-men but he played some really nice defense last night.

As far as other players, I thought Ryan Connelly played very well away from the puck - boy, did he get smoked by number 11 (it was Ryan that got leveled, right?) but he got up right away. Also Jason N. worked his tail off out there - actually the whole team did, but there are a couple players that I tend to keep track of, so that's who I'm commenting on.

The 2 most important things - they beat a team they were expected to beat and it was a team performance (not just one line dominating play, or a hot goalie holding the other team off).

, Brian Canady not too sure as of this morning; if he can't play on Friday no one wants to be the one to tell him he can't play

Especially hard being his parents are in town for the game Friday. I would usually prefer the team to hold him out for precautionary reasons but it is not like his parents have much opportunity to see him. So I hope he can make a go of it without injuring himself.

If Canady's pre-game interview at the Ralph was broadcast on the big-screens there, that must have been fun for his parents.

I too would love to see Ryan Connelly have a nice year here, so the positive reviews on his performance are encouraging. After all the shots he took on this board last year, I've been kind of pulling for him. He seemed to be just figuring things out last year when he got hurt. After playing on the third line for a lot of last season, he should be ready to contribute.

The reviews for Connelly and Fylling also make me think about team speed. In the last game of the year last year (granted, just one game), the Sioux played well against MN. Forwards in the line-up now (or soon) who did not play in that game are Parise, Fylling, Genoway, Connelly and Canady. Guess what? They can all skate! Well, Parise, Fylling and Connelly obviously, Genoway by reputation (how did his skating look, BTW?), and I was surprised by how much Canady buzzed about when I saw them live last year. I had not expected him to be that fast, since he was more of a banger by reputation. Anyway, my point is that I think the team is a lot quicker this year.

As far as other players, I thought Ryan Connelly played very well away from the puck - boy, did he get smoked by number 11 (it was Ryan that got leveled, right?) but he got up right away.  

Yeah, that was Connelly. He had possession of the puck then just let it go right before getting hit. Kind of a "I'm just going to drop everything else I'm doing so I can concentrate on this truck that's about to run me over" type of play. He looked ready to take the hit, but it didn't seem to matter cause he went flying. He bounced back up, but it took a while for him to get to the bench.

I'm not going to be the one that posts what Canady said (we all know how sensitive some lurkers are) but it was pretty funny and said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Even without enlightening the lurkers - BC's comment on "you should see the other guy", while maybe an obvious response, was said and timed perfectly in the interview - his timing was as good as Dennis Miller's this past weekend!