SiouxSports.com Forum

The Summit League Tournament - advice and tips

CMSioux

Planning to go for the first time, creating this thread to share advice, tips and other discussions. Had to pick WBB or MBB to post it so I went with WBB since they have higher expectations for advancing - but not dissing the men who are playing at a high level at the right time! Go Hawks/Sioux!

• Upvote 2

• CMSioux changed the title to The Summit League Tournament - advice and tips

-Go to some of the non-UND sessions (and sit around the Denny, it is an excellent facility)

-UND should have a room where you can socialize before the game (it isn't as big as USD or SDSU), go to that.

-Don't know if it will be open or not, but check out the old Sioux Falls Arena that is attached to the Denny

-Go check out the Heritage Arena just up the road if you can.

• Like 1

I've missed just one Summit League Tourney in Sioux Falls. When there, I attend every game although I may not stay for the entire game and I admit playing on my cell phone during some games. I've been to a Final Four (will go again) and while the Summit Tourney is certainly not a Final Four, it has  that tourney atmosphere and overall is good, entertaining basketball.  

Suggestions:  Pretty good beer selection...walk around the concourse to see which beer stands are selling craft beers etc.  and check them all out because there are different beers to choose from at the various stands (there are good breweries in the Sioux Falls area and some will be selling their wares. One of my favorites is Fernson Brewing Co of Sioux Falls.  Fernson produces the official SDSU "Ears Up" Beer which is a big seller at the Dana J Dykhouse Stadium and in Frost Arena.)

Food variety in the Sanford Premier Center has been good in past years...you can find the usual sports-venue dogs and pizza but there are other selections not found in other stadiums.

Everyone seems to be friendly, rivalries are recognized but the fans also seem to keep in mind it's just entertainment.

In the early SLTs in Sioux Falls, part of the entertainment was watching a few of the coaches...there were some characters!  Oakland U's coach Greg Kampe...he added to the show. I'm not sure if any of the current coaches are characters but perhaps someone will emerge. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

That’s for the whole tourney both guys and gals? If so, what a bargain!

Actually it is a bargain - all session tickets $110 + $42 in fees ($152 divided by 18 games = $8.44 a game. If you are able to purchase directly at the box office you aren't charged the $42 in fees. 

I’ve gone to all of the games over the last five years (except the year they didn’t allow fans).  I’ve never bought tickets in advance.  The first couple years we went SDSU men got knocked out in first round and SDSU fans gave us their tickets for free.  You can usually sit in lower level even if your actual tickets are upper deck.  Most sessions don’t come close to filling up unless both SD schools are In the session.  I’ll second great atmosphere and facility.  Also love the craft beer selections and there is usually a great build your own bloody Mary Bar on the top level that comes with one free with certain upper deck tickets.

Our Tuesday afternoon tradition (only time no games going on) is to go to a great steak house downtown (Minerva’s I think)

Unfortunately both my kids have major events going on this weekend so I wont be going.  If either or both teams make it to Monday I will be very tempted to take off of work and drive over.

• Upvote 2