SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (6-11, 0-4) @ Omaha (6-11, 2-3) 1/12 7PM

SWSiouxMN

Two untimely droughts and a furious SDSU charge in the 2nd half was enough for the Bunnies to continue their dominance against UND, taking down the home team by a single point.  Now UND take their show down I-29 to take on Omaha, a team they have historically struggled against.

About Omaha:

The thing about Omaha is that they have a lot going for it as a basketball program:  It has a nice arena, it has a great area to recruit from, the department is willing to invest and help Omaha get to the best that they can be.

So you could imagine the frustration of the last two years where Omaha has finished near the bottom of the league.  After peaking in 18-19 with 21 wins and a spot in the Summit League Final, the program starting to fall on harder times, 16 wins in 19-20, then 5 wins in 20-21 and then in 21-22.  It was finally enough for the AD to move on from mainstay Derrin Hansen and hired Chris Crutchfiled, a former Omaha player from the late 80s and early 90s.  

It wasn't like the cupboard was bare for Omaha, they had 1 extremely nice piece to build around in Frankie Fidler, who exploded onto the scene as a freshman.  

The non-conference wasn't anything to write home about, although two of their 3 non-conference wins d1 wins are against teams who are currently leading or tied for the lead in their conferences (UL Monroe and Southern).  So far in the Summit, they held serve against DU at home and got a rare road win against Western Illinois.  They nearly pulled the upset against Oral Roberts at home, losing by 3.  They are your typical team under a 1st year head coach:  trying to 

One thing to notice about Omaha right from the jump:  they are young.  Lots of sophomores and freshman that are contributing up and down the lineup.  If they can keep this core together... they can be a problem in a year or two.

About Chris Crutchfield (1st year, 6-11 overall, 2-3 Summit.  50-46 overall as a head coach).

Coach Crutchfield has been coaching basketball for nearly 30 years, most of which has been as an assistant.  He started his coaching career at the place he played at:  Omaha.  He has since made stops at UTSA, Tyler JC, NMSU, TCU, ORU, Oklahoma, Arkansas, East Central, and Oregon before finally getting his first crack at coaching a D1 job.  He did have some head coaching experience, with two years at Tyler JC and 1 year at East Central.  So far, he has trying to establish his culture and has assembled a nice young nucleus of players.  If he can hold them together, there is no reason why Omaha can't finally tap into their potential as a Summit League Power. 

Key Player: Frankie Fidler (6'7 Sophomore Forward)

Underneath the Mayo/Bruns debate for best freshman, one could claim that this guy should have gotten a little more of a push for the award.  The Sophomore from Bellevue burst onto the scene last year, averaging just under 13 points a game and shooting around 43% from 3.  He saved his best for the end of the season, scoring 35 points in a game against UND last year and 34 against SDSU in the Summit League Quarterfinals.  While his shooting numbers are currently down from last year, he has made up for it on the rebounding and assist ends.  Since conference play has started however, he has really started to find his groove.  UND will have its hands full with him.

Keys:

1) Keep Omaha off of the free throw line

2) Find a way to get consistent scoring

3) Get the freshman going

The Call:

Mavs 74-64

No explainiation needed.  UND plays Omaha. We know how this ends. 

Game is shown on the Omaha website

• Upvote 1

I just got to believe were due for complete game but like you say this Omaha not a place where we shine. I think we got to choose starting 5 and top 8 and go with it take our lumps we need to have players having confidence that if trying to make a play they aren't going to get immediately pulled and sit on the bench. Then we get what been experiencing players to afraid to push their skills because if they fail, they know they are on the bench. I think you have to ride with group players and even if make bunch of errors you live with it and clean it up game to game. This is young team and only way they are going to learn is through mistakes and you set yourself up for this when you constructed this team when recruiting these players. This is fact that young teams make mistakes, and they don't look good for portions of the game but only cure for this is to play the games keep teaching and cleaning things up. The experienced players on this team many of them don't have talent now to help this team and some of them i believe reason is from injuries and are not fully recovered from their injury. Sather has gone route of building a team from very young players that will take several years to build into quality team, but many here think it's failed. It definitely has serious setbacks but to be fair change in college transfer rules and loss of quality players may be the case. The biggest fault i have seen with Sather he has not been able to recruit the diamond in rough guard that Jones did over years and i don't know the reason for this and would love to hear from college coaches if there is reason for this in that Sather is looking for something different in his guards.  All I know were in for another frustrating season but i would like to see where were starting to see were turning corner with this team. i'm older and i believe i have more patience than younger generation and i have found in life to be successful at things it takes time and patience and  success that comes with fast changes never lasts and usually digs deeper whole to dig out of.  

8 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I just got to believe were due for complete game but like you say this Omaha not a place where we shine. I think we got to choose starting 5 and top 8 and go with it take our lumps we need to have players having confidence that if trying to make a play they aren't going to get immediately pulled and sit on the bench. Then we get what been experiencing players to afraid to push their skills because if they fail, they know they are on the bench. I think you have to ride with group players and even if make bunch of errors you live with it and clean it up game to game. This is young team and only way they are going to learn is through mistakes and you set yourself up for this when you constructed this team when recruiting these players. This is fact that young teams make mistakes, and they don't look good for portions of the game but only cure for this is to play the games keep teaching and cleaning things up. The experienced players on this team many of them don't have talent now to help this team and some of them i believe reason is from injuries and are not fully recovered from their injury. Sather has gone route of building a team from very young players that will take several years to build into quality team, but many here think it's failed. It definitely has serious setbacks but to be fair change in college transfer rules and loss of quality players may be the case. The biggest fault i have seen with Sather he has not been able to recruit the diamond in rough guard that Jones did over years and i don't know the reason for this and would love to hear from college coaches if there is reason for this in that Sather is looking for something different in his guards.  All I know were in for another frustrating season but i would like to see where were starting to see were turning corner with this team. i'm older and i believe i have more patience than younger generation and i have found in life to be successful at things it takes time and patience and  success that comes with fast changes never lasts and usually digs deeper whole to dig out of.  

You are right on the point guard.  The Covid and transfer hasn't helped.  Not sure we have one to step up.  We had that with Q and Marlon down the stretch.  Tryee would have been the piece last year and this year.  Water under the bridge move on.  Eaglestaff had great upside maybe he can take the game over when needed.  Last game he hit a drought when needed.  Maybe this is a breakout game and leads us to victory.