SiouxSports.com Forum

Not so subtle racism at NDSU?

PCM

Mankato coach says NDSU fans unruly

Herald Staff Report

FARGO - First-year Minnesota State, Mankato head coach Clarence Holley accused some fans at Saturday's North Dakota State-Mankato football game of yelling racial slurs at his players and coaches.

Holley said fans in sections behind the Mavericks bench at the Fargodome directed the comments at his black players and a black coach on the sideline.

I didn't hear any racial slurs, just a "Get a haircut" chant directed at #55, who had a rather large ponytail sticking out of the back of his helmet. I guess there was a "2's a fa**ot" chant, but that was only during warmups, and that is not racial. :p I think the Mankato coach is just getting fed up. His lack of discipline showed after Mankato blocked a NDSU punt and recovered it in the endzone. The player with the TD, number 18 I believe, pointed up at one of the video boards which he was on, kept dancing and pointing until the flag was thrown. Taunting. Mr. Mankato coach then proceeded to piss and moan on the field until another flag was thrown. His team was now forced into a 50 yard extra point attempt. Granted this TD in the third quarter only brought the score to 30-13, but it could have been a momentum shift, and the coach's personal lack of discipline and from his players shot themselves in the foot. I'm sure the supposed yelling of racial slurs caused the Mavs to lose this game. ;) He is just looking for a scapegoat to divert attention away from yet another loss. :D

First-year Minnesota State, Mankato head coach Clarence Holley accused some fans at Saturday's North Dakota State-Mankato football game of yelling racial slurs at his players and coaches.

Holley said fans in sections behind the Mavericks bench at the Fargodome directed the comments at his black players and a black coach on the sideline.

Sounds like a very specific accusation to me.

I didn't hear any racial slurs, just a "Get a haircut" chant directed at #55, who had a rather large ponytail sticking out of the back of his helmet. I guess there was a "2's a fa**ot" chant, but that was only during warmups, and that is not racial.<snip> I'm sure the supposed yelling of racial slurs caused the Mavs to lose this game. He is just looking for a scapegoat to divert attention away from yet another loss.

I don't know if it's just me or what, but I read the Forum's account of the accusations at least 3 times and the Herald account of the story 4 times and I don't see anywhere where the Mankato State coach ties these incidents to a loss of a game.

And since you didn't hear anything, the coach must be lying or looking for a scapegoat.

And since you didn't hear anything, the coach must be lying or looking for a scapegoat.

I'd think that it would be fairly easy to confirm whether other players and coaches on Mankato's sidelines heard the same things that the coach says he heard.

Only 8500 at the game? Was there a Threshing Bee going on in West Fargo that day?

Seriously, there are idiot students at every school. This is certainly not an idictment of NDSJC as a whole. That institution has countless other reasons for being an embarrassment to higher education.

JBB = Pucker, perhaps?

taz

This is an alleged incident with no perpetrators named or identified. If in fact it did happen it is just as likely it was u n d fans as anyone. After all the history is there. Im shocked and disappointed at your rush to judgment.

The Mankato coach.

The Mankato players.

Now UND fans (who would have been at NDSU's homecoming and not their own).

Anyone else you'd like to press the blame onto besides those fans in the NDSU stands?

And yes, these still are allegations, but you sure are willing, almost rushing, to point a lot of fingers in any other direction for simple allegations.

The point I'm making is this. These are only allegations made in the aftermath of a heated emotional battle that saw the Mankato coach penalized for unsportsman like conduct and a Mankato player ejected from the game for a similar offense.

To say these taunts even occurred is wrong; to assume they came from NDSU students is wrong. That claim has no more basis than the claim they came from u/n/d constituents (It has been claimed in other threads there are a lot of u/n/d fans in Fargo). To assume that Mankato players were innocent victims is wrong. The only facts we know for sure are these:

1) An allegation of wrongdoing has been brought forth by the Mankato coach.

2) It was revealed in today

Only 8500 at the game? Was there a Threshing Bee going on in West Fargo that day?

Seriously, there are idiot students at every school. This is certainly not an idictment of NDSJC as a whole. That institution has countless other reasons for being an embarrassment to higher education.

JBB = Pucker, perhaps?

taz

No Taz Pucker is smarter, but not by much, its the same tired lines. Same B.S. and they same losing arugment...

No Taz Pucker is smarter, but not by much, its the same tired lines. Same B.S. and they same losing arugment...

This is just the beginning. There isn't much to cheer for at NDSU these days, so you're going to be seeing more and more North Dakotans taking an interest in UND athletics and hanging out at the UND message boards.

JBB is a pioneer of sorts, the first NDSU fan to become obsessively occupied with UND sports.

To say these taunts even occurred is wrong; to assume they came from NDSU students is wrong.

JBB's MO: Deflect, spin, obfuscate, denigrate and hallucinate. Then, when all else fails, play the race card.

In other words, he'll do anything but admit there's a possibility that NDSU and his beloved Bison and their fans are less than perfect.

Rather than accept the possibility that NDSU fans might be responsible for unseemly behaviour, he'll even level totally groundless accusations that UND fans are actually to blame. My kids dream up more credible excuses than JBB.

In JBB's mind, The Vast Fighting Sioux Conspiracy rolls on. :p

Your point is well made, but if you think any of the mindless jabs presented here are threatening the moral high ground, we disagree.

Of course you may understand that the racial and cultural issues that embroil the entire campus culture in Grand Forks are not mere unfounded allegations accompanied by a rush to judgment from your detractors. If so, you understand my point.

Of course you may understand that the racial and cultural issues that embroil the entire campus culture in Grand Forks are not mere unfounded allegations accompanied by a rush to judgment from your detractors.

I'm curious, JBB: Exactly how much time do you spend on the UND campus? How do you come by your knowledge of the "racial and cultural issues that embroil the entire campus culture?"

I dare say that I'm far closer to the situation than you could ever hope to be. And yet, to me, your words are completely disconnected from the reality. Why is that?

Proudly sporting t-shirts that say "Sioux (self-censored)!" when a "Go Bison!" or "Go NDSU!" t-shirt would do.

Threats made against, and damage to property of, the "10% Society" (a gay-lesbian-bisexual group) on the NDSU campus last academic year.

The most recent situation as claimed by MSU-Mankato's football program against NDSU fans at the FargoDome.

You know what they say about living in glass houses.

I'll ask again: Will the USOCR be coming in for a visit?

[, JBB: Exactly how much time do you spend on the UND campus? How do you come by your knowledge of the "racial and cultural issues that embroil the entire campus culture?"

I dare say that I'm far closer to the situation than you could ever hope to be. And yet, to me, your words are completely disconnected from the reality. Why is that?

Come on Pat, you can't expect JBB to use facts or even knowledge do you? Look at half of the $#it that he and some of the other retards have written.

In JBBB mine JBB only needs to be the one that yells the loudest to win. Also, add a few racial allegations in there and he is set. Listen to his words, they are the same as Mean's, Hoff's, or Pucker's words they all say the same thing, but no one is listening anymore. They sound like the Democratic party tired and out of new material Same old tired B.S. over and over again...If you through enough garbage out there something may stick over time...

Just go over to http://www.vastlane.org there aren't too many people over there using facts they just spew hateful rethoric and call anyone that disagrees with them a hate monger or an idiot, etc...

Hey Goon,

Actually, I am one of those bleeding heart liberal Democrats who quite frankly believes this country could use gun control, a national health care plan and a big cut in the defense budget and a reasonable welfare system. But, that's just me.

I could probably sit down over a few good beers with you and reasonably sound out my position as well as listen to your cold conservative views. After a few beers, I would possibly think "jeez, you have a point, but I would rather stick to my opinion". You know what, that's why we have free "Democratic" elections in this great country of ours.

What I don't understand is just what the hell these idiots are doing even bothering wasting their time and effort over thie name change issue. Didn't they see the Sports Illustrated poll? Don't they understand that there is barely even a trickle of support, much less a great uprising of support in their favor?

It is obvious that their "leadership" doesn't get it.

Why don't they focus their energy on actually trying to help out the tribes in North and South Dakota? Work on actual problems they have with health care, education, housing...etc.

Obviously, these so called "leaders" are more interested in getting their names in the paper that actually attempting to get real issues resolved.

If they had any political sense, they would use the name change issue as political leverage to create more scholarships and native american studies programs at UND and other institutions. (Which, no doubt they have anyway....)

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that quite a few of us "bleeding heart, knee jerk, radical Democrats" want to see the Sioux name stay at UND.