SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (5-6) vs Seattle (6-1) 12/10 3PM

SWSiouxMN

A tough last 10 minutes for UND haunted them as they dropped a 76-66 decision out in the Palouse to put up a bagel on the 3 game road trip.  Now UND heads home for two more non-conference tune-up before conference play starts in 10 days (yes... 10 days).  First up, the high octane Redhawks from Seattle.

About the Redhawks

Seattle has a interesting basketball history in the NCAAs.  In the 1950s and 1960s, they were actually a NCAA Power, making the tournament 11 times, going to the sweet 16 5 time, and finishing runner up in 1958 with some dude named Elgin Baylor.  Then things got weird as they actually dropped to the NAIA in the 80s but then managed to work their way back up to the D1 world in 2008.  After a few years in the independent world, they joined the WAC conference, which at that point was a shell of its former self.  The Redhawks where not able to get past 4th place under Cameron Dollar, so they went another direction.  Our old friend Jim Hayford stepped in and attempted to bring Seattle to the next level after a successful stop down the road at Eastern.  After their first 20 win season since 2008, they slowly started to slip in the standings.  Then in November 2021, Hayford was asked to step down after it was reported that he used racial slurs at a scrimmage.  Chris Victor took over the reigns at a interim position and proceded to lead the Redhawks to their best season since their return to D1 play: 23 wins and a share of the WAC conference crown.

This season, they look to build off of that, with a roaring start in non-conference play, only losing to cross town rival Washington by 10, Seattle is using their high octane offense to cause major issues to their opponents.  They also know how to defend the basketball very well.  Could this be the recipe for the RedHawks to finally break through? We shall see?

About the Coach: Chris Victor (29-10 overall, 14-4 WAC)

The former coach at Citrus College (103-39, 44-16) stepped into a interim role after the Hayford incident and made the most of it.  Winning a share of the conference for a program that had been strugging to gain traction.  When you do that, it is pretty obvious that you are going to get the full time gig, which he did.  Now he is looking for more and trying to take the next step.  He is off to a good start in Seattle and continued success could lead him to bigger and better things.  Moral of the story:  Make the most of your opportunities because you don't know when they are going to come.

Key Player: Cameron Tyson (6'3 Junior Guard)

This guy has been a few places.  Started his career in Idaho where he had an impressive freshman season before transferring to Houston where he played in a reserve role on their Final 4 team.  Looking for a place to get more playing time, he transferred up to Seattle and it fit his style like a glove.  If there is one thing that this guy can do is score the basketball. So far this season he is averaging 23.6 ppg and has improved his field goal shooting (45%) and from 3 (43%).  He loves to shoot the ball from 3 and when he gets hot, look out.

Keys:

1) 3 point defense

2) Get the offense going

3) Can UND muck it up enough

4) Rest or Rust for Seattle

Keys:

This is a good team that UND is playing once again at home, but they are going to have to bring up their play from Thanksgiving to have a shot at this one.  The defense is going to need to play very well on the perimeter.  I would seriously considered inserting Brooks into the starting lineup to help out with their perimeter defense.  If UND can play well enough of the defensive side of the basketball, they will have a chance.  One thing to watch:  Seattle hasn't played since November 30th, they will be well rested but they could have some rust.  If the 2nd option occurs, UND needs to jump on it and take advantage.  I think UND gets back to the play that they were showing at Thanksgiving, but Seattle just have a little too much on the offensive side of the basketball.

Seattle 78-73

Game is on ESPN+

Well this should be interesting. UND is 6.5 point dogs.

Norman should probably be in the starting lineup but he needs to focus on just catching and shooting and nothing more on the offensive side. Brooks just needs the confidence to let it rip from deep, his shot isn’t bad. 

I’m super interested to see how deep the bench goes today. Against Idaho, I believe everyone available played. That has to trim down but wonder if that’s going to happen come conference play. 

• Upvote 1

Normally I would agree but in this one, with the perimeter threats that Seattle has, I want my best defense out there.  UND shouldn't run and gun with this team, they need to lean on their defense and keep it on the lower scoring end.

I don't think it would happen, but that is what I would do.  

Speaking of shooting, this would be a good game to get Treysen back going again.  Been a little quiet in the past few games. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Do we start shortening our bench? If so - who are the top eight?

Yes. Starting five. Then 1. Brooks 2. Mathews 3. Treysen 4. Danielson a few minutes a game. I feel like you have to get Danielson in there a few minutes a game as he will usually make some positive hustle play for you.