SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (2-2) vs Montana State (2-2) 11/20 1 PM

SWSiouxMN

There were some positives in this game. Just need to keep building off of them. I’m glad to see Sather took over the subbing responsibilities this game. Much better subbing. A couple stretches that Omot was out too long. Sueker another solid game. Couple bunnies he needed to finish. Treysen needs to keep building his confidence and being aggressive. Overall some positives they need to keep building off of.

My quick takeaways and full disclosure, I was watching this game on and off as had other things to do:

- Eaglestaff should start. He’s getting more and more confident each game. 
- Nero shouldn’t play at all. Give any minutes you want him in to Reid Grant. 
- Trent has the tools but needs to slow down or settle down. Seems too frantic.

We have some pieces for sure but unless something really clicks this is still probably a 6th or 7th place finish in the Summit League. 

10 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

My quick takeaways and full disclosure, I was watching this game on and off as had other things to do:

- Eaglestaff should start. He’s getting more and more confident each game. 
- Nero shouldn’t play at all. Give any minutes you want him in to Reid Grant. 
- Trent has the tools but needs to slow down or settle down. Seems too frantic.

We have some pieces for sure but unless something really clicks this is still probably a 6th or 7th place finish in the Summit League. 

I agree with everything but the Grant part. He doesn’t bring much to the team either. Nero shouldn’t play. But at least if he’s in he’ll chuck the ball up and maybe score you some points. Grant doesn’t even look at the hoop when he’s in. We don’t need another guard that doesn’t even look at the hoop. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I agree with everything but the Grant part. He doesn’t bring much to the team either. Nero shouldn’t play. But at least if he’s in he’ll chuck the ball up and maybe score you some points. Grant doesn’t even look at the hoop when he’s in. We don’t need another guard that doesn’t even look at the hoop. 

That’s a fair point. I think Grant is a very smart player but yeah doesn’t even think about shooting much. But I also don’t want Nero going in there just chucking. 

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

That’s a fair point. I think Grant is a very smart player but yeah doesn’t even think about shooting much. But I also don’t want Nero going in there just chucking. 

Yes that is true. Nero chucking is not a good thing. The issue is we get no scoring from the guards other than Omot and now Treysen being more aggressive. They need to find a way to get more scoring from the starting guards. 

This team is going to improve the question will it be enough to be competitive with upper tier of the conference. Is it me but Sue ker doesn’t look same as last year. He seems to be so stiff and not as fluid playing the game is it from foot/ankle injury or he looks stronger but is more muscle bound. I maybe wrong on this but I getting to feel he is not going to as much factor this year. I suspect your right on Eaglestaff that shortly he will be starting. It will be Suecker, Omot, T, Eaglestaff, and Trent, and subs will be Danielson, Brooks, and  Mathew’s with Norman seeing playing time when some offense is needed because if Eaglestaff becomes threat outside his role becomes much less because of his liability playing defense. Booker could gain playing time if he can show he can score from perimeter because he can play defense. Nero will have roll if he can return to before ability of playing defense against strong driving guards and will take shots that fit into offense are good looks. Danielson this year so far has developed outside shot that hasn’t been liability and makes him enough offensive threat teams need to play defense him. Grant will only get additional time if other guards can not produce but he needs to work on his offensive skills . This seems to me how the rotation will eventually develop but looks like team  is  going to be looking up at end of the season and it’s time will come in next year or year after with adding more talent to this young core of players. The question will be can we retain our talent to build team that can contend for the conference.

I’m just happy Treysen is starting to look more comfortable. Get him, Omot, and Brooks as many touches as they want. Not worried about wins or lossses. Upperclassman just aren’t talented enough to win many games at this level. Just want to see development out of the young guys, specifically those 3 

• Like 1