SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Incarnate Word (11/7 730 PM)

SWSiouxMN

Sloppy win last night but starting the season off 1-0 and with a road win is always a good thing. Defense was really fun to watch. We have a TON of good wing defenders and lots of length. Offense was shaky to say the least. They were pressuring a ton and got us out of a rhythm the whole game. Omot is going to continue to develop into that player that when we need a bucket just give him the ball and get out of the way. You could already see that last night when it would get late shot clock and at the end of the game. 

Starting lineup should be Trent, Brooks, Omot, Sueker, TT. Then have Treysen get good minutes off the bench. He can sub in for Sueker. Mathews as the 5 man sub. And then sprinkle in Nero and I guess Norman as needed. If Norman doesn't hit his first shot or two just get him out of there. Doesn't do much else to help the team. It's tough but our young guys give us the best shot at winning as we move forward. They are long, athletic, can play and guard multiple positions, and bring a different energy to the team. I'm excited to continue to watch them improve. 

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Sloppy win last night but starting the season off 1-0 and with a road win is always a good thing. Defense was really fun to watch. We have a TON of good wing defenders and lots of length. Offense was shaky to say the least. They were pressuring a ton and got us out of a rhythm the whole game. Omot is going to continue to develop into that player that when we need a bucket just give him the ball and get out of the way. You could already see that last night when it would get late shot clock and at the end of the game. 

Starting lineup should be Trent, Brooks, Omot, Sueker, TT. Then have Treysen get good minutes off the bench. He can sub in for Sueker. Mathews as the 5 man sub. And then sprinkle in Nero and I guess Norman as needed. If Norman doesn't hit his first shot or two just get him out of there. Doesn't do much else to help the team. It's tough but our young guys give us the best shot at winning as we move forward. They are long, athletic, can play and guard multiple positions, and bring a different energy to the team. I'm excited to continue to watch them improve. 

Norman had 14 points and 5 reb. Other than the two late TO's... which were almost catastrophic... he played a good game. He brings more to the table than Nero, and it's not close.

14 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Norman had 14 points and 5 reb. Other than the two late TO's... which were almost catastrophic... he played a good game. He brings more to the table than Nero, and it's not close.

May bring more to the table than Nero but I think both will see their minutes diminish as the season goes on. Norman can shoot but that’s it. I don’t want him dribbling the ball ever. 

10 hours ago, SD UND said:

Great win tonight.

best lineup is :

trent, bj, brooks, Norman, T.

Norman had two really bad to’s late but was good until that point. He will be just fine.

By the end of the year Treysen will zap #0’s minutes and we won’t have to watch him anymore- him and sueker are a total liability on both ends, especially defensive.

I thought Treyson  had some good minutes, he will only improve with practice and playing  time.

Sueker is good, not sure why you are ragging on these two

I know that it might be the opponent:  But I look and see they held UIW to 36% shooting.

I looked back at the numbers from last year on this site: https://barttorvik.com/team.php?year=2022&team=North+Dakota

Adjusting for effectiveness, UND held UIW to 38.5% shooting.

Their lowest total from last year against D1 competition?  46.5%.

That alone, it a step in the right direction defensively.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

tt still looks so tentative and lost...give those minutes to the bullrider (mathews)

Matt Norman should get a lot of credit for sparking UND in the beginning of the game.  He also hit a big time 3 when they went down 4.   So he had some good moments.  He went 3-7 from 3, which is okay.  He needs to shoot around 38-40% from 3 this year.  It has to happen.  I think this role off of the bench is perfect for him.  Come off the bench, shoot it and get hot. 

However, you cant do that when you are up 10 off of a time out.  Nero and Norman can't do that.  This is the stuff that cost UND games last year.  It didn't because BJ Omot stepped up and say: No. We are winning this game.  That block he made on that backdoor play was the turning point.

Omot settled down after his dunk, but you can just tell... he's going to be special once he puts it all together.

Brooks can bring in on the defense end and can really grab rebounds from his guard position.  Trent, he plays with an edge, something that has been lacking.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Matt Norman should get a lot of credit for sparking UND in the beginning of the game.  He also hit a big time 3 when they went down 4.   So he had some good moments.  He went 3-7 from 3, which is okay.  He needs to shoot around 38-40% from 3 this year.  It has to happen.  I think this role off of the bench is perfect for him.  Come off the bench, shoot it and get hot. 

However, you cant do that when you are up 10 off of a time out.  Nero and Norman can't do that.  This is the stuff that cost UND games last year.  It didn't because BJ Omot stepped up and say: No. We are winning this game.  That block he made on that backdoor play was the turning point.

Omot settled down after his dunk, but you can just tell... he's going to be special once he puts it all together.

Brooks can bring in on the defense end and can really grab rebounds from his guard position.  Trent, he plays with an edge, something that has been lacking.

Spot on! Let Norman come in off the bench and if he hits a shot or two and brings you energy he can play a few more minutes. But if he misses or turns the ball over then you have to get him out of there. Our new players are bringing great energy and effort so far. It's great to see! 

2 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I wouldn’t count Nero out yet

He has been like this since coming to UND. I get it he had some injuries in the past but he plays with no energy, no grit. There's just not much there. Emotionless. You can't have that from your PG and a veteran player. It would be best for the team if his minutes start to dwindle as the season moves forward. Give the minutes to Trent or other young guys that bring that energy, effort, and passion. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

tt still looks so tentative and lost...give those minutes to the bullrider (mathews)

TT is lost on defense for sure. Doesn't help that they went to switching screens in the second half so he was getting switched out onto guards. Not something you'd love to see him having to do. He got burned on that backcut late but Omot saved him with the block. Mathews is better than TT but he just doesn't look comfortable out on the court. I think his back is still bothering him. It looks painful for him to run. I think he would struggle to play any extended minutes. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

TT is lost on defense for sure. Doesn't help that they went to switching screens in the second half so he was getting switched out onto guards. Not something you'd love to see him having to do. He got burned on that backcut late but Omot saved him with the block. Mathews is better than TT but he just doesn't look comfortable out on the court. I think his back is still bothering him. It looks painful for him to run. I think he would struggle to play any extended minutes. 

thought i heard the back injury is good to go....but he still runs/looks stiff or weird but TT has skill but just seems lost out there at times.

two of those TO's were norman...he just needs to sit outside the 3 line and wait for the pass and knock em down....he had to try to do more last year bc of the talent level around him but this year he should be shooting waaaay more open 3's and he WILL knock em down.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

any word why he didn't play?

I haven't seen anything. Is he good enough to play? When he got in at the end of exhibition I didn't see him do anything that would provide anything different than the people that already play. I could be totally wrong though. He is very much an unknown. 

• Like 1