SiouxSports.com Forum

Radio Talk Week 2

kr

This morning KKXL hosts, TH and SS talked with Brad Berry, assistant coach.

During the week it is the assistant coaches (Berry and Hakstol) who put the goalies through their paces.

RE Jake's win: not a lot of shots faced, however, he stopped those that were there - it was a confidence builder and in the 3rd (when the Sioux had a few penalties to kill) JB was = to the task.

RE Josh's win: he, JS, played ok, he came up big in the 2nd period on a 2-1 break (he stacked the pads) if that had resulted in a goal it could've changed the whole complexion of the game.

RE Zach's play: he, ZP, goes in a chases down the puck, he finishes his checks, he back checks - props given to JP Parise and Coach Tom Ward (SSM) for developing ZP into the player he is. Some talk about other SSM players coming to UND (Brady Murray at Salmon Arm this year). (We've all heard how ZP goes to the rink between classes to shot pucks, well after a while a few others showed up and now it sounds like there are upwards of 9/10 players that show to just shot pucks. This is heartening as, to me at least, it shows that the leadership comes from not just the captains, but also from underclassmen; and that it appears that the team accepts leadership "direction" from their teammates be it from seniors, juniors, sophomores or freshmen. What does that all lead to? Chemistry and Heart -- last year the players had heart and chemistry at times, but it was sooooo inconsistent - this year if they can be consistent...... enough of my editorial, back to the interview)

It is way too early in the season to make any predictions - the win against Michigan is a nice building point on which to start the season.

Colby Genoway and Brian Canady will be in the line-up starting next week. It'll be hard to make up the lines, the burden will be on the players to get their playing time. The tournament was a breath of fresh air - nice to play a team other than themselves.

Thanks for the info on the talk show kr, I'm a huge Sioux fan from EGF, but I live in Mpls now and don't get to watch the games on TV, just internet broadcast . So, I don't get to hear too much about the team only what I can get online (what's worse is that I have to hear about the goofies all the time). I really appreciate the summaries you guys post on here.

I can't comment too much on the play of the game, but from listening it souned like Matt Greene had a good weekend, than I checked the WCHA page and he was named Rookie of the week!!! Just wondering if any of you saw the games and could comment on his play.

Matt Greene Rookie of the Week! oh yeah, and Mr. Parise with offensive player of the week!

That's just great about Greene getting rookie of the week. I could only listen as well but he must have done a very solid job.

Thanks for the info kr. I was curious what the coaches eval of Siembida's play was. Sounds like he did ok, but maybe not great. 4 goals on 19 shots is not impressive, though one of those was a 2-0 when his team left the ice.

Need that goaltending to step up. Good for Brandt.

Why wasn't Parise Rookie of the Week? Is it a policy not to give two awards to the same player or something? Because obviously he was the rookie of the week in the WCHA.

It must be a new policy. I definitely remember players winning both rookie and either offensive or defensive POTW in the same week.

Parise wasn't even nominated for rookie of the week, so it's probably fair to assume he wasn't eligible.

(actually this should be titled "Radio Talk Week 3)

Just "reporting" on the tail end of the interview:

(Coach Blais was interviewed this morning by Tim and Swyg on 1440)

For tonight's game vs. Manitoba: goalie rotation 1st period will be JB (with his shutout he earned the right to start this game) 2nd period RS and 3rd period JS

Brian Canady (BC), Matt Greene (some little "ding" just resting it for the weekend) and Mike Prpich will not dress tonight but all three will be ready to go for the weekend series against Niagara. Pressure on for those dressing tonight to perform or they might find themselves sitting. (Lee Marvin will be on defense tonight in place of Matt Greene.) Some talk on how BC practices at 100% - gives everything to every drill in practice (compared his intensity during practice to Jason Blake's intensity during practice) - think it was Tim who said that he wouldn't want to face BC when he comes on the ice for his (BC's) first shift of the year - he'll be ready to pop someone.

Some joking about how nice it is to all ready have one trophy in this year's cupboard.

Some other good/interesting comments.

Dude, no names. As we're familiar with, if any player dogs it tonight, regardless of name, Coach Blais wouldn't hesitate to sit 'em for the weekend. Especially since it's an early season, non conference series - it'd be a good time to send a "message" to any player, for that matter the team, that each game 100% effort is required by the coaching staff.

Hey where can I listen to the game, I am in the big easy tonight and will be here this weekend too. What is the webpage, any ideas. There should be a link for tonights game right? Or not... Weekend games, what is the best site...

Also, Dagies take care of them ducks for me. I am giving them a reprieve this season. No time to hunt...

Posted on Tue, Oct. 22, 2002

Genoway to make Sioux debut

After a wait of more than a year, Colby Genoway may make his debut in a UND hockey uniform in tonight's exhibition game against the University of Manitoba at Engelstad Arena.

Genoway, from Morden, Man., had to sit out all last season and the first two games this season at UND under an NCAA ruling for having played in a Tier I game in Canada. He's a 6-foot-1, 200-pound forward who is a sophomore in eligibility.

Tonight's game begins at 7. UND officially opens its home season this weekend in a nonconference series Friday and Saturday against Niagara University.

Coach Blais was making the talk show rounds this morning..... he was interviewed by Mike Mc. of 1590am. General comments, team played well in Buffalo a week off was fine, the team is still on track. The 3 captains know what it takes to win. The defense was impressive in the Michigan game 19 shots for the game 8-7-4-0 (respective shots in each period and the overtime faced by Josh S.) When the game was on the line, they stuck with it. Even had they lost to Michigan, the way the team fought back showed how much the team has progressed just from last year. It is hard to replace Ryan Bayda and Tim Skarperud (2 guys who have now played exhibition NHL games) with freshmen, but the new guys come here expecting to win. The coaches strive to prepare the team to win and to learn how to hang national banners.

UND's goaltending can be good (talked about Josh S. allowing 4 goals on 23 shots, but although that may seem a little suspect, it was against a Michigan team which has talent, and Jake B. had 3-0-14 shots vs. Can., and made the stops when they needed to be stopped). In the WCHA, Denver is probably going to be the only team with outstanding/great goaltending.

The trainer is looking at Matt Greene's injury to see if he'd be at all possible for tonight against Manitoba. The defense is huge, 6'3", 6'4", 6'1" etc.... Michigan had problems getting to the net because of the d's ability to clog the middle.

Mike Mac. asked about ZP in tonight's game - Blais said he wasn't dressing.... dead silence.... Blais then said he was just kidding (Blais is really good at "deadpanning"). 5 goals on 10 shots is amazing, but urged fans to remember he is a freshman and other teams will be paying a lot of attention to him. ZP is a player who can beat you with his playmaking ability (as opposed to say a Jeff Panzer who beats you with his speed (speaking in loose/general terms)).

Regarding practices - last year the coaches were among the first on the ice prior to practice, now they arrive in the middle - there's a hunger. Mike asked what was possible for this team - WCHA or even Nat'l - CB said that UND will make noise in the WCHA, but as far as Nat'l, realistically it'll be a few years before there will be the expectation (by others) to win it "all". What UND has is character, talent and the players get along (good chemistry), the question is goaltending.

In closing Mike told Coach Blais that Blais had the "gof" - the gift of fury.

10/29/02 morning interview on 1440 by TH & SS of Coach Blais:

Niagara impressive, particularily after the Friday night loss, they/Niagara came out hard on Saturday and worked just as much as the night before. Niagara picked to finish 4th in their league, if they play like they did this weekend they'll probably challenge for the top in their league. Wayne State is in that league and they just beat someone in the top 15 this past weekend.

Some talk about the goalies (I put that in another thread) it is Josh S. starting the first game.

Mentioned that a few years ago the team would give up 30-40 shots a game. The lower shot totals faced this year attributed to the size and mobility of the defense and the work the forwards put in on back checking and covering their assignments. Chemistry.

There are 15 forwards that can play - it is a battle for playing time.

TH/SS asked what's made the difference in Quinn F. of this year as opposed to the Quinn F. of two years ago: Confidence.

CB and QF talked and decided he needed more games. When he came back this year he was physically and, more importantly, mentally prepared. Talk about how QF does the little things - watch him work in the corners and in neutral ice, he's contributing. Figure it won't be too long before QF has a hat trick to match his linemates.

Comments on practice being fun and just a good overall feeling around this team.