SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Coach's Show

PCM

Disclaimer: This is a summary of the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches Show. It is NOT a verbatim transcript of the show. Comments by the show's hosts and the coaches are paraphrased to the best of the author's ability and are NOT direct quotes. This summary contains selected highlights from the show and is NOT a comprehensive account of all topics covered or discussed. This broadcast summary represents the interpretation of the author and is not associated in any manner with SiouxSports.com, the University of North Dakota or USCHO. This summary MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED without the written permission of the author.

From Joe DeMaggio's in beautiful downtown Grand Forks, Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman are the hosts with Sioux hockey coach Dave Hakstol.

TH: With SCSU here this weekend and playing MTU the weekend after that, the Sioux need to get on a roll against the Huskies.

TH: Let's talk about injuries. Erik Fabian is back and practicing.

DH: He's still day-to-day.

TH: Brady Murray will start skating next week.

DH: That

Edited by PCM

They also mentioned that you can contact Cheryl at 777-3103 for more information about the Alaska trip.

Hakstol feels this is a strong and important recruiting class, and they'll come in the same year that the Sioux host the West Regionals. He's hoping they'll be able to contribute right away.

Toews stats so far this season with SSM..2nd on team in points with 36... (1st with 8 points).... SSM record is 22-5-3

09 Jonathan Toews

(grade) 12 (dob) 4-29-88 (games played)23 (goals)13

(assists)23 (points) 36 (PIM) 18 (game winners) 3

TH: Are you looking at brining on one more player?

DH: We are looking to bring in one more guy.

TH: That would be Jonathan Toews at Shattuck.

DH: I can

Ryan Duncan is at Salmon Arm and tearing it up. He's leading the league in points per game. He's a little guy, but tremendously competitive and probably a four-year college player.

While I would never turn down a Zach Parise, this is very nice to see.

He's allowed to respond to the question and acknowledge they are recruiting the kid, but that's about as far as he can go.

Hak's answer to a question that people, especially Tim Hennessy, should be smart enough to not ask (coaches can't talk about recruits!) was perfect: You can admit you are recruiting a kid and that's it.

Heck, after a kid signs an LOI the school can't use their name, other than to announce the LOI, until the kid matriculates.

I agree, Sica.  Hennessey never should have led him down that path.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree. All of us message board geeks likely know who's being recruited, but I'm sure the vast majority of Sioux fans (or any other team's fans for that matter) have no idea who they are recruiting until the LOIs are announced. Since Hakstol is not allowed to mention any players names, the only way the information can go out is via a direct question.

TH didn't continue to probe the subject, so both TH and DH handled it fine and no rules violations occured.

Did Hakstal commit a recruiting violation by saying that UND is recruiting Toews?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyone know the chances of UND landing this kid, seems like a top 5 recruit?

Personally I think with the WHL after him, it seems like UND'S chances are slim and none. TH mentioned this last weekend during the Wisconsin series that the new rules with hooking and holding might deter a kid of his stature..

I understand what people say about the WHL, and the new rules, but remember UND has a pretty good track record with SSM, and I remember in a article last year that UND was like the #1 or 2 place to go for NHL talent amongst the college ranks, if this kid does come to college I would have to believe that UND is right in the thick of it to land him.

Siouxhockey5

Anyone know the chances of UND landing this kid, seems like a top 5 recruit?

Personally I think with the WHL after him, it seems like UND'S chances are slim and none. TH mentioned this last weekend during the Wisconsin series that the new rules with hooking and holding might deter a kid of his stature..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Measured. Like I said, the biggest thing UND has going for them is the fact that Toews returned to SSM this year when he could have reported to Tri City.

The drawback is that if he comes to UND, he will probably not stay long. 2 years tops.

I would say that it is 60-40 right now with 60 being WHL and 40 UND.

Granted, but probably only us geeks also realize the import of a recruit like Toews. The general public probably only knows it as a name. Rewind back to a year or 2 ago when on one of these shows Hennessey asked Blais a similar question which resulted in questions being asked about a recruiting violation and I think it wasn't a wise move for Hennessey to bring Hakstol to the precipice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hennessey seems to ask about recruits quite often. I remember him doing it to Blais last year.

Measured.  Like I said, the biggest thing UND has going for them is the fact that Toews returned to SSM this year when he could have reported to Tri City. 

The drawback is that if he comes to UND, he will probably not stay long.  2 years tops.

I would say that it is 60-40 right now with 60 being WHL and 40 UND.

I heard somewhere that Toews' mom is a teacher, and they are also focused on him getting a college education. So WHL would seem like an illogical choice for him. That would also explain why he stayed at SSM instead of going to the USHL.

I would say that there is a great chance that he will go the college route, we just have to hope that he ends up playing for the Sioux. :lol: