SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (3-5) @ San Jose State (3-3) 12/3 8 PM

SWSiouxMN

After a slow start, UND managed to distance themselves in the 2nd half against Presentation.  Now they hit the road for two games out in Cali.  I hope they know the way to San Jose, because that is where the first game will be, against the Trojans of San Jose State and an old friend to the Summit and the region.

About San Jose State: 

To say that this program has been struggling has been an understatement.  They have found themselves, year in and year out, at the bottom of the Mountain West.  They have been looking for someone to come in and build a struggling program...

Wait... is that Tim Miles????

The Doland, SD native has once again returned to the coaching world, after a year off from getting fired at Nebraska (Closed captioning to the people in Lincoln, how has that worked out so far?)  If there is one thing that he knows how to do, is to build programs.  He did it with Mayville, he did it with SMSU, he laid the ground work at NDSU for their D1 success, then went out to Colorado State and brought them back, then had some moderate success at Nebraska before getting the axe.  

You can see that this is still a work in progress,  They also had some close wins against USD and Northern Colorado and taking down Cal Fullerton.  They nearly took down a good Cal Baptist team.  Progress for a team that hasn't done a whole lot in recent years.   Will this turn into success in conference play in Year 1?  Time will tell

About Tim Miles (25th season, 402-337 overall record)

The pride of Doland has returned to the sidelines after a year away.  He certainly will have his work cut out for him at San Jose, but he knows how to win in tough locations and rebuild programs.  He certainly will be given time to build, but some early success can go a long way.  One thing that you will get from a Miles led team?  They will work hard and get after you on the defensive end.  GATA. 

Key Player: Omari Moore (6'6 195 Junior)

One of the returning players who has made a huge jump this season, scoring nearly 16 points a game.  He does most of his damage inside the 3 point line, shooting 54% from the field.  He certainly has stepped out and hit some 3 this year, nearly matching his totals from last year in 3 point makes.  I wouldn't dare him to shoot it.  If there was one weakness?  Free throw shooting is around 60%.  Not great for a guard.  While he has 4 assists a night, he also turns the ball over at a high rate.   UND needs to do their best to slow this guard down and force him to cough up the ball.

Series History:  Most of the games were in the 70s, but SJSU has a 3-1 series lead.

Keys:

1) 3 point defense

2) Thrive off of turnovers

3) Get the bigs going.

The Call:

San Jose State will be rebuilt, but right now the foundation is beginning to be laid.  With that said, this is a potential for UND to get a road win if they can get back to how they were playing against Montana and Troy.  Hopefully some physical and mental resets are in order during the practices and everyone is ready to go.  The shooting needs to come around and UND needs to be ready to score when the turnovers happen.  I want to see Sueker and T get going and have big games.  I hope to also see Bruns continue to grow and stay in the starting lineup.  I think UND gets back on the right track, but lose a tough one in San Jose.

Trojans 77-74

I found the game here: https://watchstadium.com/schedule/

Don't know if this is free or not

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

After a slow start, UND managed to distance themselves in the 2nd half against Presentation.  Now they hit the road for two games out in Cali.  I hope they know the way to San Jose, because that is where the first game will be, against the Trojans of San Jose State and an old friend to the Summit and the region.

About San Jose State: 

To say that this program has been struggling has been an understatement.  They have found themselves, year in and year out, at the bottom of the Mountain West.  They have been looking for someone to come in and build a struggling program...

Wait... is that Tim Miles????

The Doland, SD native has once again returned to the coaching world, after a year off from getting fired at Nebraska (Closed captioning to the people in Lincoln, how has that worked out so far?)  If there is one thing that he knows how to do, is to build programs.  He did it with Mayville, he did it with SMSU, he laid the ground work at NDSU for their D1 success, then went out to Colorado State and brought them back, then had some moderate success at Nebraska before getting the axe.  

You can see that this is still a work in progress,  They also had some close wins against USD and Northern Colorado and taking down Cal Fullerton.  They nearly took down a good Cal Baptist team.  Progress for a team that hasn't done a whole lot in recent years.   Will this turn into success in conference play in Year 1?  Time will tell

About Tim Miles (25th season, 402-337 overall record)

The pride of Doland has returned to the sidelines after a year away.  He certainly will have his work cut out for him at San Jose, but he knows how to win in tough locations and rebuild programs.  He certainly will be given time to build, but some early success can go a long way.  One thing that you will get from a Miles led team?  They will work hard and get after you on the defensive end.  GATA. 

Key Player: Omari Moore (6'6 195 Junior)

One of the returning players who has made a huge jump this season, scoring nearly 16 points a game.  He does most of his damage inside the 3 point line, shooting 54% from the field.  He certainly has stepped out and hit some 3 this year, nearly matching his totals from last year in 3 point makes.  I wouldn't dare him to shoot it.  If there was one weakness?  Free throw shooting is around 60%.  Not great for a guard.  While he has 4 assists a night, he also turns the ball over at a high rate.   UND needs to do their best to slow this guard down and force him to cough up the ball.

Series History:  Most of the games were in the 70s, but SJSU has a 3-1 series lead.

Keys:

1) 3 point defense

2) Thrive off of turnovers

3) Get the bigs going.

The Call:

San Jose State will be rebuilt, but right now the foundation is beginning to be laid.  With that said, this is a potential for UND to get a road win if they can get back to how they were playing against Montana and Troy.  Hopefully some physical and mental resets are in order during the practices and everyone is ready to go.  The shooting needs to come around and UND needs to be ready to score when the turnovers happen.  I want to see Sueker and T get going and have big games.  I hope to also see Bruns continue to grow and stay in the starting lineup.  I think UND gets back on the right track, but lose a tough one in San Jose.

Trojans 77-74

I found the game here: https://watchstadium.com/schedule/

Don't know if this is free or not

I watched part of the South Dakota game the other night and it was free