SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Northeastern

OETKB

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of pressure, nothing but flat hockey until the OT.

1 point weekend. WOW.

We looked awful. I'm not sure what's going to pull this team together, I thought losing to Minny would be, but I don't see it.

The Sioux have now lost 3 straight, even if today was a tie. We are, overall, 3-4 now.

Does a team who is that decent deserving any kind of prestige at all? I mean, Maine must just suck because even Northeastern is keeping up with us.

So the refs can decide the outcome of the game in the 1st period with all of the calls and not in the overtime.  COWARDS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess it's ok to clutch, grab, tackle in OT but in periods 1-3 when a Sioux d-man is a bit too agressive you make the call regardless. What a bunch of crap.

By the way, I agree with all that state early in the year under new direction. No room for banwagoners...

I'm not impressed with the new officiating standard. Somehow the Sioux, a skating, non clutch and grab, non-diving team ALWAYS ends up on the short end of the penalties. JUST LIKE IT'S ALWAYS BEEN!! BE $#^&^&$Q#^% CONSISTENT! IF IT'S PENALTY IN THE 1ST, IT'S A PENALTY IN OT. IF IT'S A PENALTY FOR A 6'5" 230 LB. PLAYER ON A 5'8" 150 LB. PLAYER, IT'S A PENALTY FOR A 5'8" 150 LB. PLAYER ON A 6'5" 230 LB. PLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's ridiculous to blame this on the officials. The Sioux shouldn't have been in OT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't mean to imply it was the official's fault, but when things are going against you, you certainly don't need to have to overcome them as well. More like frustration for thinking that finally after having the boys mugged left-and-right for years, that the new "standard" would finally work to their advantage. To see that it is the same as it ever was is extremely disappointing.

Last weekend was obviously horrible and showed that the list of problems to address is long. But after the 6-0 slide extended to 10-0 on Friday night, they seemed to finally turn it around. They pressured, controlled play and actually scored. Most of all, they seemed to get the penalty issue under control. Then they extended that solid play into tonight, really controlling play and the scoreboard through two periods. Then they ran into the penalty problem in the third again, ended up short-handed, ran out of gas at the end of the weekend, and let the home underdog get some third-period momentum. To their credit, the Sioux came back out for the OT and really carried the play.

This weekend was a step forward for the team. They hit rock-bottom last weekend, and recovering from that is not an immediate thing. They took a step forward, and I think they will continue to get better now.

Agree with you, jk, the Sioux played well tonight.

I do share DamStrait's frustration, however, in that it's so easy for the Sioux to be put down 2 men, the big Sioux D is not getting by with anything, and, although they are penalties, opponents have been allowed to do the same things the Sioux have been penalized for, without getting called or being put down 2 men.

Guess it goes with the territory of being big.

Last weekend was obviously horrible and showed that the list of problems to address is long.  But after the 6-0 slide extended to 10-0 on Friday night, they seemed to finally turn it around.  They pressured, controlled play and actually scored.  Most of all, they seemed to get the penalty issue under control.  Then they extended that solid play into tonight, really controlling play and the scoreboard through two periods.  Then they ran into the penalty problem in the third again, ended up short-handed, ran out of gas at the end of the weekend, and let the home underdog get some third-period momentum.  To their credit, the Sioux came back out for the OT and really carried the play.

This weekend was a step forward for the team.  They hit rock-bottom last weekend, and recovering from that is not an immediate thing.  They took a step forward, and I think they will continue to get better now.

While we don't like getting outplayed in the 3rd, don't forget that NE didn't play last night. Another reason to have some perspective.

You didn't like Blais last year, you don't like Hak this year, who the ^#$& do you like? What a pitiful excuse of a Sioux fan you are.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The system was no longer working with Blais, and I don't know if Hakstol's plan doesn't work or if it is too similar to Blais, but it is not working either. This is a forum, which means it is a place to discuss things. Thanks for the name calling. :silly:

The system was no longer working with Blais, and I don't know if Hakstol's plan doesn't work or if it is too similar to Blais, but it is not working either. This is a forum, which means it is a place to discuss things. Thanks for the name calling. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Win or lose I love my Sioux. For that I refuse to apologize. All I know is that if the boys go on to get #8 this season, you're going to look damn foolish for your recent comments. Step back, take the long view, they're not where either of us would like them to be, but at least they're moving in the right direction.

Win or lose I love my Sioux.  For that I refuse to apologize.  All I know is that if the boys go on to get #8 this season, you're going to look damn foolish for your recent comments.  Step back, take the long view, they're not where either of us would like them to be, but at least they're moving in the right direction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never had a problem with any of your comments, except the name calling. You can still love the Sioux while wanting to fix problem areas. I am sick of losing every year. We always had the same pattern of winning a lot of games, but not winning when it counted. We also played every game close, even if it was a weak team. Although I have repeatedly stated that we could get better this year, I will gladly look foolish if we can win the championship.

I hate to say this, but I think we're going to be out of the title picture for a few years at least. The senior and junior classes of forwards are nothing special. Some of the freshmen and sophomores are special, but we can't lean on them to carry the load up-front on a night-to-night basis. Next year, we lose a big chunk of our defensive core and will have a very young team again (just like in 2001-2002). I think that after next season, we'll be able to shoot for another championship (both WCHA and NCAA). But until then, get used to being average to slightly above average. :silly:

I wonder how much difficulty the players are having in adjusting to Hakstol. I wonder how much trouble Hakstol and Eades are having in adjusting to their new roles. I wonder how the team leaders are handling adversity and whether they're doing enough to instill discipline. Clearly, the team is having trouble adjusting to how penalties are being called.

But it's a long season and it's far from over. There's time for all of this to get worked out. There's too much talent on the coaching staff and among the players for me to give up on the Sioux for the season.

Two highly ranked, expected to be in the FF, teams, are really struggling early; the Sioux and Michigan, who were beaten 1-0 in OT by Ferris tonight. And Duluth, lost to and tied Vermont at home.

Didn't hear the post game; anything said about Murray's injury?