SiouxSports.com Forum

What are the rules on fan behavior?

Supertrex

At the same time, I don't feel having a loud student section that gets into the game is a bad thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nobody ever said it was. And I wasn't defending the behavior of the guys who gave you a bad time. They probably should have been thrown out.

However, I get tired of the hyperbole and hysteria on this issue. It's constantly portrayed as people either A) being forced to behave as if they're attending church (which isn't true) or B) being allowed to engage in any sort of behavior they want (which is unreasonable to expect).

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do you think is going to win this argument ?

By using the logic about standing ? ? ? You think it is OK for almost 1/2 the Arena to have to stand to watch the game because of a few immature (Most likely drunken) idiots

& I bet many above you cannot see the play along the boards, on that side, if they stand or not :lol:

I agree with PCM - I'm over 50 & if you stood in front of me the whole game - I'd let you know about it (heck even part of the actual play of the game - cause if you give an inch they take a mile) There is a time to stand & a time to sit  :lol:

The crowd was great !!! (the 1st period sucked) but I just took it out on the refs  :D

Learn to get into the Game & Cheer & Not block the view of others (A little respect) is all it takes. I once in awhile find myself standing too long & then I realize it & say sorry & sit down & calm down  :D But last yr I had seats in the top row so I could stand if I wanted too ( Maybe give the top row to those who can't respect others ? ? ? )

There is alot that can be missed by cheering too long - the game is too fast to allow that to happen

Like I said & no one replied to it - Give the Bars to the Students that want to stand

But somehow I think many(old enough Students) would complain about that too

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent post.

You can get into a game and cheer while spending most of the time sitting down. There are moments when it is appropriate to stand but after a decent interval you sit again out of respect for others. It really doesn't make sense no matter who you are, student or elderly or someone in between, to have to stand for part or all of a game because some people want to stand and block your view. :silly:

I'm not even gonna argue the standing issue, whatever. I found it quite interesting tonight though that those of us in sections 308 and 309 were allowed to stand while those in 207 and 310 were not.

I also find it frustrating that many people won't cheer, ever. The swearing excuse is baloney for many of these people as they can't even be bothered to do the "Let's Go Sioux" cheer. Nor can they be bothered to stand up and clap or anything when the Spirko scored the go ahead goal on friday.

Sad to say (for the atmosphere and all) but the students are going to lose in this deal...bottom line. Argue the facts as you see them and I'm with you - students are 70% of the energy in the arena and WE NEED YOU but REA (and make no mistake, it's NOT UND but REA making the calls) will not risk pissing off Fans paying a "gross average" of $40-$50 per seat per game (ticket price and concessions) for students paying MAYBE 20% of that. It's all in the numbers. I want you guys to stand, scream like maniacs, and make it more fun for all...that's why my advice, given your frankly very weak bargaining position, is "ASK to move the Student Section and TAKE THE SEATS IN THE CORNER" You can raise hell and stand the whole game (we'd like that!) and not interfere with anyones view. I know it's not your preferred choice but it's the best solution to keep all sides happy (especially the ones that are ringing the cash registers!) I'm guessing you guys can find ways to make the best of a bad situation...

If you want to walk out on a game, which I wouldn't recommend, you are gonna have to some how get the student section completely sold out and then not have any students show for the game. While you would be giving REA some money, it would be no where near as much money as they'd make by selling those seats for ~$25 to the general public, not to mention the concessions that would be lost out on. That will never happen though.

As a student fan sitting in section 308 both nights, I loved the cheering and the rowdyness of the students. it reminded me a lot of what cheering is about and how it was at high school games...WE STOOD THE ENTIRE TIME AND NO ONE COMPLAINED...but that was high school (not like college is so different) but anyways you all need to deal with us we like our team and our school and will cheer for them no matter what. Another thing is that if you arre so pissed about our cheering then give us all the lower bowl seats and u can sit in the upper bowl and will be able to see the entire game because like the quote says below, its the university of north dakota mens hockey team and not the city of grand forks mens hockey team.... :lol::silly::D

As a student fan sitting in section 308 both nights, I loved the cheering and the rowdyness of the students.  it reminded me a lot of what cheering is about and how it was at high school games...WE STOOD THE ENTIRE TIME AND NO ONE COMPLAINED...but that was high school (not like college is so different) but anyways you all need to deal with us we like our team and our school and will cheer for them no matter what.  Another thing is that if you arre so pissed about our cheering then give us all the lower bowl seats and u can sit in the upper bowl and will be able to see the entire game because like the quote says below, its the university of north dakota mens hockey team and not the city of grand forks mens hockey team.... :lol:  :silly:  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me refer to you to a great old Pink Floyd Song..."WELCOME TO THE MACHINE!!"

The "MACHINE" is REA...you're the MEAT for the grinder..."protest" all you want...you have NO (let me be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR about that) --- ZERO!! --- bargaining power! It's not the "CITY of GF" vs. "UND" you should be worrying about....you guys are fighting the wrong fight!!...i'm sorry you can't see that... :D ...never mind...why do I care anyway??....

I sit in the lower bowl (section 107) right next to the students in Section 108 and I have no problems whatsoever with them standing during the game. Further I enjoy the "F' the Gophers" chant and "Who's he ..he su$ks sh$t" and participated in such last weekend. If other folks have problems with the language and standing during the game then go to church as an alternative to the game. Period

I think I'm going to email the fans@theralph.com about this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that mail address will get lots of mail this week, and not only from the students. I thought this was over with? The last two years there was no problems at all. The students near me were curteous, while still full of spirit. And at appropriate times, stood up and cheered, and nobody cared. Now, students are standing for the other teams power play, and Dean Blais is in a suite telling them to sit down so he can see. (yes, this did happen, no BS)

My sincere thanks to whomever came up with the lottery system for student tickets, for bringing this whole stupid situation back to square one. You get the stupid ass of the year award.

Q: What are the rules on fan behavior?

A: Do onto others as you would have them do onto you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a good rule. Only one question, how do we get those people to cheer? Students standing and getting some people to cheer are two seperate issues. You are all knowing, right? So give some insight. :lol:

How about give the fans something to cheer for. (That's aimed at the team.) An uninspired performance received one. It is a two-way street.

Seriously, do your thing, cheer, but be considerate to those around you.

You won't get everyone around you to cheer. There will always be some of those "stick in the mud" types. Heck, down 0-3 Saturday I was out of it. A goal, a glimmer of hope would have helped a lot.

As far as "all knowing", don't make me go "Old Testament" on you. :silly::lol:

On a related note:

What's UND hockey's Saturday night record after home hockey on Friday night and home football on Saturday afternoon? I'm guessing the fans are/were a little worn out.

I know that in 2003-2004 it was 0.500:

lost to BC after beating BC, and NDSU in FB;

beat Yale, after beating Yale, and UNO in FB.

(Don't count the HoF game versus UMD because there was no Friday hockey.)

This year so far it was lost to Minnesota, after beating Minnesota, and MSU-Mankato in FB. We're set up for that versus CC and USD the first weekend of November.

See I think they should start kicking people out for not cheering when they obviously should be.  I mean we all know the demand for tickets is high, so if you are gonna be a stick in the mud, you get kicked out and your tickets go to someone who will cheer.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FINALLY SOMEONE WITH A BRAIN IN HERE!!!!!!!!!

See I think they should start kicking people out for not cheering when they obviously should be.  I mean we all know the demand for tickets is high, so if you are gonna be a stick in the mud, you get kicked out and your tickets go to someone who will cheer.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love it Digs.

Keep failing at school so you can have time to come up with these great ideas. :D:silly:

Ryan Bakken's story today is what I mean when I say some people just can't have any fun and seemingly only come to games to find something to complain about. I don't think it's been updated online, but the article was about how at the Exhibition game the player intro's showed players without shirts on. At the Minnesota series though, shirts had been added to the players. This was because some people didn't like the players appearing without shirts and expressed this to REA.

I'll admit that I didn't want to see naked rotating players on the big screen, :silly: but it really wasn't that big of a deal. It seems some people have to be stick in the muds again though and insist on making a mountain out of a mole hill. :lol:

the bottom line is the we the students have the best seats in the house and people are going to look for excuses for us not to have the seats no matter what. I feel the solution is to do what wisconsin does and move us to the end of the arena, sections 112,113, 311, and 314. This way we wont be in anyones way when we stand, not if we stand. The atmosphere wont be affected at all either, as anyone who watches games in wisonsin knows. Plus we would be right next to the bars so swearing wouldn't be as much of an issue, and REA could make even more money off season tickets. Cause whether we want to admit it or not, there really is no bad seat in the house, and i think moving the students is the only solution. What does everyone else think?