SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers at Sioux (friday)

U2Bad1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see it this way: It will be a long season if the players don't learn to adjust to the new enforcement of OLD rules.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although true, the calls have to be more consistent. There is no way the players know when they can hook or hold and when they can't. Sioux should be aware that the game will be called by the rules when they are short handed. Not sure MN has to worry about that, Anderson had several obvious penalties to call to put the Gophs down 2, but didn't do it. Sioux 2 men short 4 times.

Sioux were outplayed 5 on 5 in the 3rd (not sure if there was any 5 on 5 before the 3rd) until they got the 2 goal lead. Terrible outlet passing and the short passing game through the neutral zone was not there.

Todd Anderson should be fired. He is just worthless. He couldn't properly officiate a Mite game. He called 6000 penalties on the Sioux, then decided the Gophers were doing too well so he called 1000 penalties on them. He officiated to the scoreboard pretty much the entire game.

And Hennan sucked tonight. He couldn't get anyone's name straight. It was quite amazing when Matt Greene supposedly got called for a penalty, yet still managed to be on the PK for an entire minute before Matt Jones took over the penalty.

Todd Anderson should be fired.  He is just worthless.  He couldn't properly officiate a Mite game.  He called 6000 penalties on the Sioux, then decided the Gophers were doing too well so he called 1000 penalties on them.  He officiated to the scoreboard pretty much the entire game.

And Hennan sucked tonight.  He couldn't get anyone's name straight.  It was quite amazing when Matt Greene supposedly got called for a penalty, yet still managed to be on the PK for an entire minute before Matt Jones took over the penalty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anderson is a poor offical, he let the Goofers get by with a lot of hooking and holding and called the Sioux for every infraction. Thank God Jordy was on fire tonight.

Had to miss much of the game, but it sure seemed like the main differences were the Gophers inability to put the game away and of course Parise playing far superior to Briggs.

Should be another good one tomorrow.

If the '02 Gophs played under this years rules, they would score 10 a game. Rediculous.

I knew we'd get Anderson. Expect more of the same tommorrow. I'll say one thing: Our defense is the best in the country. Period.

Today's shot totals shouldn't be contrued as being poor, it was simply Anderson's way of keeping the game "even."

We made our shots count and that's all that mattered.

Anderson is a poor ref, everyone knows that. Maybe not Anderson simply because he's probably too stupid to realize it.

In other news, our D was great but so was Zajac. Genoway really played hard, but he looked like he was running out of gas towards the end of the game... Then he came up with the goal and I wonder if I was just tired and not him? The heart in question was realized tonight.

I think either MN is going to finish a lot higher than predicted or UND is going to finish lower, because the Sioux didn't look like a dominant team tonight. Considering the experience advantage on defense (forwards are actually about even experience-wise), UND should have had the territorial advantage and limited MN's chances more than they did.

Getting badly outshot is not something I am used to, and I don't think I like it. In the Sioux's defense, being on the downside of five 5-on-3's in the game (one early in the first, one in the third and about three straddling the first intermission) will mess up the shots allowed statistic.

MN is going to be their usual nasty self this year, as they are definitely reloading rather than rebuilding. Given the magic that Lucia regularly works over the course of a season, count on them being tough to beat at the end of the year. Heck, they're tough to beat now.

It's strange after the last few years to say that UND won because they out-goaltended the opponent, but that is definitely the case tonight. I don't know how Hakstol will pick his goalies, but I think Parise has played his way into a regular role.

I think I'm going to really like Kaip. He's just a few games into his career, but I think he's going to out-McMahon McMahon and out-Prpich Prpich.

I thought UND's defense did a much better job than last year of getting the puck past the first defender on the point shot. Obviously Smaby's shot turned into a goal, but there are just a lot of things that can happen if that shot gets into the slot area, and most of them are bad for the defending team.

I didn't see much from Chucko, but he is very young, like Stafford was last year. It's funny that he ripped up the BCHL, while Gordon did little in the USHL last year and seemed to be very present tonight. I guess that's why they pay the coaches the big bucks, because I know I am not alone in the Twin Cities in wondering whether Gordon was even going to earn ice time this year.

Irmen is a chippy, cocky, hard-nosed SOB. Man I wish he were wearing green.

I think a big part of why the Sioux seem out of synch is the new officiating system. I do realize that it is the same for all teams (like complaining about the ice), but games right now are played in one of four conditions:

1. On the PP, never UND's strength.

2. On the PK, usually solid for UND, but tough against a Lucia team.

3. On the 3-on-5, seemingly only for UND.

4. Even strength, but not playing your usual physical defensive game because you're worried about picking up your next penalty.

It is number four above that I think UND is really struggling with. I wonder how UMD is handling it, because they seem to be similar to UND in their tight-checking approach to forcing turnovers.

A couple troubling things: Maine lost to SLU, so we're still not sure how good Maine is, casting a little doubt on the fantastic first weekend. UMD lit up Mankato, making last week's struggles seem even more glaring, and making UMD seem more formidable. Of course, all these impressions are after just a few games, and things will surely be different later this year.

UND has had their share of losing games when they outshot their opponent 40-25, hitting pipes and missing nets, so it's nice to see one go the other way. You just can't count on winning those kind of games all the time.

OK, complete the sweep tomorrow and all will be well.

If the '02 Gophs played under this years rules, they would score 10 a game.  Rediculous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had the exact same thought during the game, not just for 02, but the next two years as well. Just some nasty offensive players very well coached to run the PP.

I was at the game in my usual seat, four rows above the sioux bench. From that vantage point, this was probably as ugly an offensive effort as I have ever seen. EVERY and I mean EVERY pass for the last 10 minutes of the first, the first 10 minutes of the second and nearly the whole 3rd period was two feet behind it's intended recipient. That's why they couldn't get anything happening. They turned the puck over twice in their own zone in the span of about 3 minutes and I don't know how the Gophs didn't score.

Everyone in the building, including the gophers, thought they had scored a goal - gophers were just about to start the group celebration when the puck popped out and the "goal" was waived off. At least the TV guy didn't do the replay like he did last year when Mich Tech hit the pipe... Genoway's goal was the best of the evening. The gophs hit the pipe twice in the game (and maybe three times) and the Sioux were lucky to get out of there with a win. Without Parise and alot of luck, they would have lost ugly.

But it was the passing....it was awful...really awful.

And one more thing - Anderson is pathetic. A couple of his calls were absolutely ridiculous. The first of the two penalties at the end of the 1st was very questionable - the second was not. Then, before the sioux could touch up for a whistle, the D must have hammered that poor gopher bastard six or seven times. Every time he got up off the ice - Greene or Jones would crush him again -why not since it kept it to a 5 on 4. That gopher player had alot of heart to keep getting up - you have to admire that in him...

Rex.....

I don't know folks...just got home from the game and was shocked after reading the stats on uscho.

The stats simply don't tell the story of this game. I sit behind Sioux goalie two periods each game and felt the Gophers dominated the first (yet only outshot the Sioux 14-11). After the Sioux killed off Todd Anderson's whistle-happy 5-on-3s, I really thought the momentum shifted noticably. And yet, the Sioux were outshot 26-12 for the final two periods.

Some horrible defensive turnovers inside the zone, by guys who are normally bulletproof: Greene and Smaby put pucks right on Gopher sticks countless times. Had not Jordie come up big, or the forwards played well defensively, things could've gotten out of hand.

After Colby's goal, I think the Gophers were scared to come into the Sioux zone with any speed after getting their hats handed to them several times during the night. There were some vicious hits.

Yes Anderson called a lot of penalties; but the Sioux had most of them coming. Some very dangerous cross-checks, both behind and in front of the goal.

I don't know why they don't name three stars of the game at the Ralph, but mine would be 1. Jordan; 2. Zajac; and 3. Colby. Poltulny and Irmen could argue for mention as well, but I'm a homer.

I don't like a penalty-filled game, but if the calls are even its bearable. The Sioux may have been called for an extra here and there, but they deserved a couple of those 5-on-3 for their nasty stickwork.

To sum it up: This was a huge gut-check, from the heart game for the Sioux. They could've folded, especially after taking the third 5-on-3. But they dug deep and took two points from the dirty Gophers, when another team might not have.

Saturday's going to be interesting to see how both teams react.

I watched the game on Fox and that was tough to watch. Always better when the Green wins though (especially in a Gopher bar). Fox had some real idiots on graphics though. Constatnly putting up incorrect powerplay details.

The game really was evenly matched. The shots look lopsided because you can get alot of shots 5x3. Parise played OK, he was not as sharp as in Maine. The Gophs had three inside pipes, including 1 that went pipe, crossbar, and out. They also had one that was pulled of the goal line.

Now that there are no "Lundblums" Woog had Spirko to mispronounce. Greene's hit on smaagaard was great. Fox even gave it the hit of the game.

I thought the refereeing was descent. Many calls, but I thought it was even, obviously the number of 5x3s were not. But most of the extra penalties on the Sioux, I would have called. There were some weak calls both ways. I just hope that the refs stay with it for the whole season, because this will end the clutch and grab approach. Especially if the Sioux ever find a powerplay. In the end this will favor the Sioux and other teams that have the most skilled players.

Finally, nice shot by Genoway at the end. Briggs lost his jock on that one.

Sweep

Sweep

Sweep

Sweep

Sweep

Sweep

Sweep

Sweep

I think either MN is going to finish a lot higher than predicted or UND is going to finish lower, because the Sioux didn't look like a dominant team tonight.  Considering the experience advantage on defense (forwards are actually about even experience-wise), UND should have had the territorial advantage and limited MN's chances more than they did.

Getting badly outshot is not something I am used to, and I don't think I like it.  In the Sioux's defense, being on the downside of five 5-on-3's in the game (one early in the first, one in the third and about three straddling the first intermission) will mess up the shots allowed statistic.

MN is going to be their usual nasty self this year, as they are definitely reloading rather than rebuilding.  Given the magic that Lucia regularly works over the course of a season, count on them being tough to beat at the end of the year.  Heck, they're tough to beat now.

It's strange after the last few years to say that UND won because they out-goaltended the opponent, but that is definitely the case tonight.  I don't know how Hakstol will pick his goalies, but I think Parise has played his way into a regular role.

I think I'm going to really like Kaip.  He's just a few games into his career, but I think he's going to out-McMahon McMahon and out-Prpich Prpich.

I thought UND's defense did a much better job than last year of getting the puck past the first defender on the point shot.  Obviously Smaby's shot turned into a goal, but there are just a lot of things that can happen if that shot gets into the slot area, and most of them are bad for the defending team.

I didn't see much from Chucko, but he is very young, like Stafford was last year.  It's funny that he ripped up the BCHL, while Gordon did little in the USHL last year and seemed to be very present tonight.  I guess that's why they pay the coaches the big bucks, because I know I am not alone in the Twin Cities in wondering whether Gordon was even going to earn ice time this year.

Irmen is a chippy, cocky, hard-nosed SOB.  Man I wish he were wearing green.

I think a big part of why the Sioux seem out of synch is the new officiating system.  I do realize that it is the same for all teams (like complaining about the ice), but games right now are played in one of four conditions:

1. On the PP, never UND's strength.

2. On the PK, usually solid for UND, but tough against a Lucia team.

3. On the 3-on-5, seemingly only for UND.

4. Even strength, but not playing your usual physical defensive game because you're worried about picking up your next penalty.

It is number four above that I think UND is really struggling with.  I wonder how UMD is handling it, because they seem to be similar to UND in their tight-checking approach to forcing turnovers.

A couple troubling things: Maine lost to SLU, so we're still not sure how good Maine is, casting a little doubt on the fantastic first weekend.  UMD lit up Mankato, making last week's struggles seem even more glaring, and making UMD seem more formidable.  Of course, all these impressions are after just a few games, and things will surely be different later this year.

UND has had their share of losing games when they outshot their opponent 40-25, hitting pipes and missing nets, so it's nice to see one go the other way.  You just can't count on winning those kind of games all the time.

OK, complete the sweep tomorrow and all will be well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When the penalties are totally lopsided what do you expect? The Sioux played shorthande the whole damn game. 4 5 on 3's? C'mon. When it's 5 on 5 the Sioux are just fine.

I disagree on the reffing. Ok, the Sioux had it coming to them, but so do the Gophers, yet there were several non calls on them that were called on us. Inconsistency, same old same old.

By the way, just tuned into Sportscenter. Zajac's goal to tie the game made the #2 play of the day.

wow 26 penalties for 52 minutes. 15 for the Sioux and 11 for the Goofs.

there were 36 penalties called at the DECC for 98 minutes total. 19 against MSU, 17 against tDogs. We had Marco Hunt (new guy?) as our ref. The penalties were mostly for coincidental fighting, with a 10 min misconduct to Rankin for a cheap shot to the head of Geris (who has a history of concussions....cheap??!). Also Toll of MSU hit after the whistle. Did MSU play as cheap when they were up there? Of course they weren't down six goals then... :0

were the refs calling some minor crap against the Sioux, and not against the Goofers. It seems to me that this is what some Sioux fans seem to be POed about, more than the sheer volume of penalties being called this season.

wow 26 penalties for 52 minutes.  15 for the Sioux and 11 for the Goofs.

there were 36 penalties called at the DECC for 98 minutes total.  19 against MSU, 17 against tDogs.  We had Marco Hunt (new guy?) as our ref.  The penalties were mostly for coincidental fighting, with a 10 min misconduct to Rankin for a cheap shot to the head of Geris (who has a history of concussions....cheap??!).  Also Toll of MSU hit after the whistle.  Did MSU play as cheap when they were up there?  Of course they weren't down six goals then... :0

were the refs calling some minor crap against the Sioux, and not against the Goofers.  It seems to me that this is what some Sioux fans seem to be POed about, more than the sheer volume of penalties being called this season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Consistency has ALWAYS been a problem in the WCHA among officials. There were too many penalties, yes. How many of them were legitamite may be closer to actual for the Sioux than I'd like, but the fact is, they don't seem to call it both ways. This gives the ref the appearance that he's biased.

I want ANderson fired. However, to his defense, if he was fired for the reasons I'd want, then there wouldn't be many refs left to officiate as we'd have to fire them all.

Sioux steal another ugly game. What ever happened to clean passing and a strong forecheck? UND has been very poor offensively so far, and very lucky to get the wins, IMO. With as much experience and talented youngsters as they have, they look very sloppy to me.

Not too much to add since it has pretty much been covered here and on uscho -- but I will add:

Start of the 3rd period I was feeling a little better about our chance to win, why, because no more friggin' Waibel Factor!!!!! (Always enjoyed watching his grit/energy but he always seemed to come thru against the Sioux.)

Also misery loves company -- the Sioux suffered thru the year of the "post", nice to see some other team suffer the post effect to the benefit of the Sioux.

Congrats to Jordan on a solid game. There were some really good, clean hits, keep it up. Might not have been the prettiest effort, but it got the job done. Congrats to the coaching staff on another WCHA win, may many, many more follow.

Man, it was great to experience yet another come from behind win against the gophers. For me as a fan, I enjoy these wins better then a blow-out -- that whole "give 'em hope, and then rip their hearts out" :) I'm kidding. :0

were the refs calling some minor crap against the Sioux, and not against the Goofers.  It seems to me that this is what some Sioux fans seem to be POed about, more than the sheer volume of penalties being called this season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lots of minor crap on both teams, but inconsistent beginning to end.

On the Sioux's first PP, one of the Goph dmen put a nasty cross check to McMahon's back in front of the net. Anderson didn't call it. All right with me since I figured that clean out in front of the net would be allowed, and no 2 man down situations. On the next goph PP the Sioux did the same, and were called immediately, then did it 3 or 4 more times (guys don't learn quickly), and were put down 2 men each time. Anderson had several opportunities later in the game to put the Gophs down 2 men but would not do it. Instead, he put the Sioux down 2 again in the third period.

If all these calls are going to clean up the game, consistency is a must. The players will adjust. Right now they're adjusting as the game goes along, but they can't have any idea what might be called; or allowed, from one minute to the next.

The Sioux's chances were limited 5 on 5 because the outlet passing was poor, and the short passing game through the neutral zone that the Sioux have excelled at was not there. If you can't get down the ice, the forecheck that they threw at Maine is not going to happen, and scoring chances will be limited. The third period was the only time there was an extended time of 5 on 5, and the Sioux continued to throw the puck into the black hole, creating numrous good scoring chances for the Gophs. THe Gophs were not forechecking hard, but still the Sioux continued turning the puck over in terrible places. Sioux are not playing the same game they played the past several years (nor the same game they played at Maine this year).

The passing was pretty sloppy, but it is hard to get into a game when you are down 5-3 1/4 of the game :0 . The Sioux didn't really have a chance to play 5 on 5. Most of the penalties called appeared to be legit, but there were a few diving Gophers out there.

The Sioux D and goaltending were great. Radke even had a few good hits, Smaby blasted a one-timer ...on net!

Zajac is a very complete player, he is a great two way forward. He was probably the best PK forward.

Genoway is off to a great start, as are Spirko and Zajac. Stafford, Porter and Murray will hopefully hit their stride soon.

In the intro they put shirts on the players - Thanks for that!

I saw Andy Murray standing next to Darryl Sutter in between periods. It is not that often you see two NHL coaches hanging out in GF. Make that three - DB was at the game.

I expect the shots to be much different tonight. Take away all the 5X3's the gophers had the shots were pretty even.

It is not that often you see two NHL coaches hanging out in GF.  Make that three - DB was at the game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe it was four. I know Rick Wilson of the Dallas Stars will be at Saturday's game. He might have been at Friday's game, too.