SiouxSports.com Forum

Post links to good reads here!

01grad

you want to see dead animals that are not gophers on the ice? :0

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very true, that doesn't seem to be a gopher now does it. With UND's crackdown on people throwing dead gophers/badgers on the ice, I suspect the only dead meat on the ice this weekend will be the Gopher players.

Big Fargo Forum article on the Gophers that featured Ryan Putolny and Danny Irmen this morning. It's great to see such great coverage of the only major college team in North Dakota. There was barely a mention of the Sioux team except to say they were going to be the Gopher opponent. Last weekend the Forum devoted an incredible four column inches to the Sioux. I had to search all over to find the score of the game Sunday - barely a mention in the sports page. When will the Fargo Forum wake up and see that there are at least as many UND grads reading their paper as NDSU grads and far more than those allied with the UofM. Sioux envy can only explain it. I'd bet money, marbles and chalk that the Star-Tribune will have better coverage of the Sioux hockey team this year.

Big Fargo Forum article on the Gophers that featured Ryan Putolny and Danny Irmen this morning. It's great to see such great coverage of the only major college team in North Dakota. There was barely a mention of the Sioux team except to say they were going to be the Gopher opponent. Last weekend the Forum devoted an incredible four column inches to the Sioux. I had to search all over to find the score of the game Sunday - barely a mention in the sports page. When will the Fargo Forum wake up and see that there are at least as many UND grads reading their paper as NDSU grads and far more than those allied with the UofM.  Sioux envy can only explain it. I'd bet money, marbles and chalk that the Star-Tribune will have better coverage of the Sioux hockey team this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do they care. The Bison are D1 Football powerhouse now. Didn't read the editors note about how they are going to devote all of their resources to covering this great program. The Forum is revving up for the huge match between the Bison and Southwestern Louisiana Community Technical school, the powerhouse program from the swamps of Louisiana. Plus in two weeks they travel to the powerhouse Southcentral Kentucky Miners School, in the Smokey Mountains. :0

.....I'd bet money, marbles and chalk that the Star-Tribune will have better coverage of the Sioux hockey team this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, and that ain't saying much either...usually you're lucky to get two small paragraphs in the WCHA Roundup unless you happen to be playing UofMinnesota-Minneapolis/St.Paul.

Big Fargo Forum article on the Gophers that featured Ryan Putolny and Danny Irmen this morning. It's great to see such great coverage of the only major college team in North Dakota. There was barely a mention of the Sioux team except to say they were going to be the Gopher opponent. Last weekend the Forum devoted an incredible four column inches to the Sioux. I had to search all over to find the score of the game Sunday - barely a mention in the sports page. When will the Fargo Forum wake up and see that there are at least as many UND grads reading their paper as NDSU grads and far more than those allied with the UofM.
Edited by Goon

In today's Grand Forks Herald, Virg Foss has a good article about Stafford, Murray and Smaby and their decisions to attend UND rather than Minnesota.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can almost see Virg pounding his chest in pride for landing these three guys. :0:angry::angry:

Random notes from the Star-Tribune. Most interesting, first time since Truman was in office MN won't host UND in Mpls.

BTW, one needs to register in order to read article in the Mpls fish wrap. :)

Taken from the red star and sickle: The Gophers play an exhibition game on Feb. 18 against the U.S. under-18 team, which features high school sensation Phil Kessel. There's a good chance the Gophers will know by then if they will be facing one of the keys to their future or the prize recruit who got away.

The Verona, Wis., hockey player plans to select a school in February, and the Gophers remain very much in the mix. Kessel, a 5-10, 160-pound center, is considered a gifted skater and goal scorer. He is at or near the top of the recruiting list of all of the elite programs.

Gophers coach Don Lucia, who can't comment on a specific recruit, did say, "We need another center."

Kessel, who turned 17 on Oct. 2, accelerated his school work and will graduate from high school this spring. He said six schools remain in the running: Boston College, Boston University, Michigan, North Dakota, Wisconsin and the Gophers.

Now we have the Red Star and Sickle lobbying potential recruits for the team. That seems interesting. I don't ever remember the Heraldo doing that. Don can't comment on future recruits until they are signed but he stated he needs another Center. Whew... :0

On to the good news did everyone notice there are 5 other teams in the running. I hope Hak goes hard after this kid.

Edited by Goon

Now we have the Red Star and Sickle lobbying potential recruits for the team. That seems interesting. I don't ever remember the Heraldo doing that. Don can't comment on future recruits until they are signed but he stated he needs another Center. Whew... :0

On to the good news did everyone notice there are 5 other teams in the running. I hope Hak goes hard after this kid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Latest word is he has narrowed his choices to Michigan, Wisconsin, or Minnesota

Aren't Kessel and Sioux recruit Zach Jones on the same team this year? Hopefully, they will/have become fast friends.

btw, I agree with Dagies and don't think UND has much of a shot, if any, of landing Kessel.

I forgot about that but, like you, it doesn't change my final guess.

Interesting thread. I would say that Minny's biggest rival would be UW. But, losing to UND or UMD is just terrible too. UND and UMD get really fired up to smoke Minny. I bet if you asked UMD, SCSU, or MSU they would say their biggest hockey rival is the Gophers. Michigan is a rival in the NCAA tourny, like BU was in the 70s. This is what makes college hockey so much better then the NHL any day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think UND was even on Kessel's radar until the tourney this summer.

That said, he'll probably end up at Minnesota, which is okay as long as we get ... :0:)

I can almost see Virg pounding his chest in pride for landing these three guys. :0:angry::angry:

Random notes from the Star-Tribune. Most interesting, first time since Truman was in office MN won't host UND in Mpls.

BTW, one needs to register in order to read article in the Mpls fish wrap. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the link Greyeagle, but was it me or does the Trib seem a little behind on some of their reporting?

Edited by cheeringsiouxfromsmoggycali

Thanks for the link Greyeagle, but was it me or does the Trib seem a little behind on some of there reporting?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That might be because Rachel Blount, who covered Gopher hockey for the past 7 years, is no longer on the beat. Dean Spiros has the job now. Rachel is writing sports features for the Star-Tribune.