SiouxSports.com Forum

Post links to good reads here!

01grad

Today's GF herald online poll.  Our biggest rival? duh!  Think about who we play this weekend, which is probably the reason for this poll.  Anyways, here it is so you can make your voice be heard.

After I voted, the results showed St. Cloud with 1 vote. Must have been Lucia's. :0

Today's GF herald online poll.  Our biggest rival? duh!  Think about who we play this weekend, which is probably the reason for this poll.  Anyways, here it is so you can make your voice be heard.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/9963697.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the Gopher fans its the dirty Badgers thats their top rival.

I say whatever. So we get SCCC as our top natural rivals, thanks to Lucia anyways.

According to the Gopher fans its the dirty Badgers thats their top rival.

I say whatever. So we get SCCC as our top natural rivals, thanks to Lucia anyways.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My $0.000002

I consider UW the Gopher's biggest rival, primarily because it encompasses more than one sport and the rivalry between MN & Wisconsin extends beyond college to pro sports. The latter is probably a lame argument from the perspective of a UND fan but I think it's pretty prevalent for many MN fans.

But if UW is #1 then UND is #1A.

Here is the link to the pride on ice discussion on the series this weekend.  Interesting to read some of their predictions and expectations.

http://www.prideonice.com/chat/viewthread....=10501&sec_id=1

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll keep you in mind for when the Sioux faithful are hesitant to blindly call for their team winning every game. You seem to really like that thread on POI as it is the second time I've seen it here! :angry::):0:angry:

WPoS

Frankly and with all due respect to everyone posting about this biggest rival thing - who really cares who UND's biggest rival is. Rivals are rivals for difference reasons. I can surely see the UW and UofM thing encompassing all D1 sports which is certainly valid. Being UND competes in D1 in only one sport I can also see UofM being our biggest rival from UND's perspective - but who really cares if there is reciprocity from UofM in that regard.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/9963697.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Obviously it's the Gophers...As an aside, did anyone check out those exciting Devils Lake Vacations???

Frankly and with all due respect to everyone posting about this biggest rival thing - who really cares who UND's biggest rival is. Rivals are rivals for difference reasons. I can surely see the UW and UofM thing encompassing all D1 sports which is certainly valid. Being UND competes in D1 in only one sport I can also see UofM being our biggest rival from UND's perspective - but who really cares if there is reciprocity from UofM in that regard.

Thanks, cfm, for posting this as I was going to. I will add that the repeated complaints that we really ARE the gophers biggest rival only smacks of begging, which is unbecoming a Sioux fan.

Thanks, cfm, for posting this as I was going to. I will add that the repeated complaints that we really ARE the gophers biggest rival only smacks of begging, which is unbecoming a Sioux fan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. While we consider Minnie to be our biggest rival in hockey, they routinely look at Wisco and Michigan overall. However, I think most Minnesota hockey fans never have a problem getting "up" for a Sioux series. Then again, they lost their jug to the "other M" and will probably lose their axe too ... maybe they can look at 'SU for a new rivalry. :0:):angry:

Agreed. While we consider Minnie to be our biggest rival in hockey, they routinely look at Wisco and Michigan overall. However, I think most Minnesota hockey fans never have a problem getting "up" for a Sioux series. Then again, they lost their jug to the "other M" and will probably lose their axe too ... maybe they can look at 'SU for a new rivalry. :0:):angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel the same about this. Does it really matter? The teams/fans know who the rivals are, because those are the teams everyone gets pumped up to play, no matter what time of year or how your team is performing.

Rivalry? I just know when we play Minnesota I want to beat them worse than any other team. I'm guessing this comes from heated games in the past but also from the many condescending conversations I had with Gopher hockey fans when I lived in the Twin Cities. Back then it was always the "Yeah but we have all Minnesota players" and "yeah but you have 25 year-old canadians." In general it was simply that UND was second class in comparison to the Gophers. That's why it pained me so much to see them win back-to-back championships.

For me I like beating the Gophers more than anyone else.

My second closest rival depends on who is closer to us in the standings when we play them. So no one in particular. It is a lot of fun beating Hockey East schools though.

Rivalry? I just know when we play Minnesota I want to beat them worse than any other team. I'm guessing this comes from heated games in the past but also from the many condescending conversations  I had with Gopher hockey fans when I lived in the Twin Cities. Back then it was always the "Yeah but we have all Minnesota players" and "yeah but you have 25 year-old canadians." In general it was simply that UND was second class in comparison to the Gophers.  That's why it pained me so much to see them win back-to-back championships.

For me I like beating the Gophers more than anyone else.

I would describe my experience in the same way.

My $0.000002

I consider UW the Gopher's biggest rival, primarily because it encompasses more than one sport and the rivalry between MN & Wisconsin extends beyond college to pro sports. The latter is probably a lame argument from the perspective of a UND fan but I think it's pretty prevalent for many MN fans.

But if UW is #1 then UND is #1A.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From the perspective of a UND fan it seems more fullfilling to have the Sioux beat the Gophers than the dirty Badgers.