SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2021-22

cberkas

10 hours ago, cberkas said:

It was like he was trying to take his legs out from under him

I get your point, but the OSU guy initiated the contact.
I'm no Goofie apologist, but I think UM guy was trying to keep his balance and just got under the OSU guy. 

Think UND25 hitting the brakes and getting hit from behind, but still laying out two different CC players Friday. Don't blame the player receiving contact unless it's a flagrant violation, like cross-check or elbow. (Note: The second UND25 hits brakes case, the CC captain went down, and it should've been a checking from behind call on CC. Yes, I'm serious.) 

20 hours ago, Blackheart said:

So no penalty for calling a timeout that you don't have?

Nope. The DU commentator made a good point that in basketball it’s a technical foul if you call a time out that you don’t have (just ask Michigan fans about that from the fab five days in the final four) and that maybe they oughta change the rules in hockey and assess a penalty if a team does that. Carle was understandably furious with the officials. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Nope. The DU commentator made a good point that in basketball it’s a technical foul if you call a time out that you don’t have (just ask Michigan fans about that from the fab five days in the final four) and that maybe they oughta change the rules in hockey and assess a penalty if a team does that. Carle was understandably furious with the officials. 

I say if you ask for a review (see Friday v CC) and there is no penalty you shouldn't just lose your TO, it should also be a bench minor. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I say if you ask for a review (see Friday v CC) and there is no penalty you shouldn't just lose your TO, it should also be a bench minor. 

Agreed. Kris Mayotte was politicking and chirping the refs way too much IMO this weekend. Every big hit seemed like he wanted a review for a major. I missed it but my dad said a CC player ran into a UND player’s backside with his head down and fell and got hurt and Mayotte asked for a review. To me, there’s a fine line between gamesmanship and just being a whiner and a baby. Mayotte seemed to cross that line this weekend. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Agreed. Kris Mayotte was politicking and chirping the refs way too much IMO this weekend. Every big hit seemed like he wanted a review for a major. I missed it but my dad said a CC player ran into a UND player’s backside with his head down and fell and got hurt and Mayotte asked for a review. To me, there’s a fine line between gamesmanship and just being a whiner and a baby. Mayotte seemed to cross that line this weekend. 

That was Kleven.  He had that happen to him twice this weekend.  Where the CC player ran directly into the back of Kleven and then went down.
One of those instances was reviewed.  Which is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, brianvf said:

That was Kleven.  He had that happen to him twice this weekend.  Where the CC player ran directly into the back of Kleven and then went down.
One of those instances was reviewed.  Which is ridiculous.

If anything, the review should've been for checking from behind against CC because they did hit Kleven square in the ol' 2-5. Now the fact that you bounced off and got hurt because hitting 25 is like hitting a wall is not 25's fault. 

• Upvote 3

On 2/13/2022 at 11:41 AM, The Sicatoka said:

BC, UNH, and Maine all near one end of the HEA standings ... the bottom end. This ain't the 1990s no more I guess. 

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/reports/conf/Hockey-East/5

There seems to be a pretty strong correlation between this year's success and the number of games played last year. 

The Ivies are paying a price for last year's cancelled season:  #58 Yale, #56 Dartmouth, #55 Brown, #44 Princeton, #25 Cornell #23 Harvard.  I don't ever recall 3 of the 5 worst teams being Ivy League schools.  Other ECAC's that didn't play last year #48 Union and #43 Renssalaer. Their total shutdown last season has to hurt conditioning, recruiting, retention, not to mention game-readiness.  By contrast,  #6 Quinnipiac played 29 games last year, and #15 Clarkson played 22 games.  (Also, #49 St Lawrence and #38 Colgate played last year.)

Hockey East played many fewer games than the "out west" teams, and that has to have hurt to a lesser degree.   #9 UMass, if they win the conference tournament, might be their only tournament team.  How far they've fallen.

The leagues with the most games played last year were all out West, and guess who's topping the charts in a domination that's as strong as I can remember.

As to BC (the most interesting of the three Sicatoka named because the fall has been so fast), they lost players as always.  Some went straight to the NHL (Matt Boldy spot duty for the Wild, Mike Hardman to Chicago, Alex Newhook to Colorado and Spencer Knight to Florida).  But i don't recall them having so many transfers out (Harrison Roy to Lake State, Timothy Lovell to Arizona State, Jack Agnew to RPI and Danny Weight to CC).  None got much playing time or had big stats at BC, so its possible they left for playing time or different coaching.  Also possible they got scholarships hacked and refused to sit still for it. 

But BC's newcomers (3-4 from the Portal and 6 freshmen) haven't contributed in the way they might expect.  And I think Jerry York got spoiled by a succession of great goalies.   

Seeing how this continues to play out in a Portal world will be fascinating.  Will the Ivies and BC bring in talent (because well a degree from an Ivy is still a ticket up) or will the damage linger?   Or is it going to be NCHC with 5 of the top 12 every year? Hey a guy can hope.

farce, that's great.  I wonder if getting into an Ivy via transfer is even harder than as a freshman.  Also wonder if the academic culture shock would be pretty intense.  But, as to the Ivy degree, there could be players who initially went another way under delusions of greater hockey ability who now realize their ticket might be better punched outside the hockey world.  They should line up to get in. 

Thinking closer to home, it seems doubtful UND would pursue any portal forwards.  Maybe a goalie, and maybe someone on D if anyone beyond Sanderson leaves. 

• Upvote 1

Good call on playing last year translating to success this year. 

I'm interested in next year and comparing teams that kept "super seniors" over bringing in freshmen versus teams that stayed more "pipeline". I'd put SCSU, WMU in the super senior category. Both of them will be really young next season. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jk said:

Thinking closer to home, it seems doubtful UND would pursue any portal forwards.  Maybe a goalie, and maybe someone on D if anyone beyond Sanderson leaves. 

What is the official remaining eligibility on Jandric, Calder, and Ferner? And Senden and Hain are potential Covid super seniors. 

Ford and Driscoll will be gone (eligibility). I don't see Senden and Hain staying. Sanderson is surely gone.

If Jandric has one more year and stays it might be just bring in one recruiting pipeline defender to replace Sanderson. 

Bring in Hedquist for Driscoll. 

I'm not sure they'd look portal even for forwards given the pipeline (Strinden, Blake, McLaughlin, James, Spicer). 

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What is the official remaining eligibility on Jandric, Calder, and Ferner? And Senden and Hain are potential Covid super seniors. 

Ford and Driscoll will be gone (eligibility). I don't see Senden and Hain staying. Sanderson is surely gone.

If Jandric has one more year and stays it might be just bring in one recruiting pipeline defender to replace Sanderson. 

Bring in Hedquist for Driscoll. 

I'm not sure they'd look portal even for forwards given the pipeline (Strinden, Blake, McLaughlin, James, Spicer). 

All three can and I believe will return next year. 

I also don't see Senden or Hain returning, precedent was set last year, but also on top of that, there are 4 Forwards that need to come in next year, potentially 5 (Spicer), depending on if both parties feel an extra year is necessary. I do feel that like most years, we'll see a Forward or two with eligibility left hit the portal to make room, since only 3 Seniors at Forward this year and nobody sticks out to me as an early signee type of guy. I'd like to see them stay the course and bring in a Freshman defenseman to replace Sanderson. Hedquist for Driscoll works for me. I would like to stay away from the portal as long as there are legitimate options in the Pipeline, which next year there are.