SiouxSports.com Forum

Better ways for student tickets?

The Sicatoka

I really can't complain too much about not getting tickets this year, being I got them last year and I'm only going to spend 2 years at UND. I feel worse for the junior and senior undergrad students that were given the shaft. My solution -

Have a weighted lottery. Seniors get 4 chances, Juniors 3 etc... for those that haven't gotten tickets before. For those that had tickets the previous season - look at how many of the games they actually went to, if it is less than 75% pair them up with another who missed 1/4 or more games and offer them one seat - one gets Fri games, the other Sat - allow them to trade between each other.

For those that went to the majority of the games (over 75%) allow them to get tickets again.

For prof/grad programs allocate a certain number for those students and repeat above. Beside myself there was only one other law student that signed up for season tickets.

well what if your a student and you have no tickets but people dont show

This system would be for the ~500 student reserved lower bowl seats.

The students without those can still get into the student upper deck general admission seats with student ID. (That's how they get a "percent attended" number.)

Plus, empty seats would really hurt the lower bowl reserved seat seat holders the next season in the "percent attended" numbers part of the "merit" system.

4. Upon entering the system, each "team" will be asked to answer a randomly selected Sioux hockey trivia question (each "team's" question will be randomly selected). "Teams" select their seats in the order they came up with a correct answer (the first "team" to answer correctly gets to choose their seats first, the second "team" to answer correctly gets to choose their seats next, and so on). This may help the "die-hard fan" contingent.

Perfect, it will never happen, but perfect. While watching the lottery this year I said the same thing after a group of freshman girls got seats. I say open up the Olympic rink for those that just go to the games to socialize. They can glance at the TV's and spend the majority of their time discussing which frat house they plan to crash at for the night.

UND should try a dutch auction

start high say $500

slowly drop the price say by $20

the first to bid wins

then slowly fill up the student section starting at the glass and providing steadily worse seats

let students buy as many seats as they want as long as they have a ticket and a current student id when they walk in the door

you could make a hell ova lot of money

sure there are poor students who will get gipped, but it would be a good experience for them realizing life isn't fair when they get out of school :D

UND should try a dutch auction

start high say $500

slowly drop the price say by $20

the first to bid wins

then slowly fill up the student section starting at the glass and providing steadily worse seats

let students buy as many seats as they want as long as they have a ticket and a current student id when they walk in the door

you could make a hell ova lot of money

sure there are poor students who will get gipped, but it would be a good experience for them realizing life isn't fair when they get out of school :D

Shut up! :) That's something that the REA would do if they could.

I like the weighted lottery.

Another idea would be to allow the students who had them last year to be able to apply for renewal. Now, this application would not get you the SAME seat as last year, it would get you a spot in line. Then, the line will be drawn from a hat from those who are already entered. The line stays the same regardless, so, you have no line outside the Ralph. The line to get tickets would start at 10am on the day tickets are sold in the order of cards drawn. Everyone must be present. If a group is not present in line by 10am, each extra spot (card of 4) would be added to the 90 seats drawn for the following week. The same would go for however many people on the cards that do not show up (without filling out that form and having it approved).

Students of good academic standing, who did not get kicked out the previous season would be eligible to renew provided they furnish a ticket from last year's season tickets (any) and a valid Student ID.

I would've been there a week before they went on sale if they hadn't changed the system this year.

I think the best idea is a line and I still do not see what the problem is. You add on to the price of student tickets what it takes to pay for security/porta-potties/whatever for the line. You have cards like this year with everyones name on them and they are numbered as you get in line. Someone from the group has to be there at all times. All the seats in the lower bowl and half the seats in the upper bowl are sold as season tickets to start with. If the demnad is there, more of the upper bowl is sold as season tickets. Leave 500 seats in the upper bowl as GA.

I would've been there a week before they went on sale if they hadn't changed the system this year.

I think the best idea is a line and I still do not see what the problem is. You add on to the price of student tickets what it takes to pay for security/porta-potties/whatever for the line. You have cards like this year with everyones name on them and they are numbered as you get in line. Someone from the group has to be there at all times. All the seats in the lower bowl and half the seats in the upper bowl are sold as season tickets to start with. If the demnad is there, more of the upper bowl is sold as season tickets. Leave 500 seats in the upper bowl as GA.

I agree completely with this plan. However, I say limit the camping out to 3 days. Start the line on Thursday night and have people hang out til Sunday. I'm a die-hard fan, however there's a block on Thursday where none of my 4 people would have been able to be there. So for us to get screwed, even had we been there on Monday because we have something on Thursday isn't cool. Fridays are good day to stand in line, because its Friday. Same with Saturday and Sunday.

so the 500 ga seats get picked up by the students on the thursday before right or something like that?

Yep. The problem is that my idea is simple and straight forward, therefore it can not be implemented. It has to be overly complicated, confusing and poorly planned for it to be used.

There are definitely a lot of good ideas coming from this forum. I can't believe they messed the student tickets up once again. If people can come on here and think of some solutions to the mess, what are the people in charge even doing?

The problem is that the commitee that made the decisions this summer was a mainly comprised of weenies. They just wanted a system where they could get lucky and thus get good tickets, so that is the system that got put in place. Every good idea that would actually work, got shot down because these dorks didn't want it. They'd have to put a small amount of effort and dedication into it if any of the ideas presented here were implemented. Since they don't want to put any effort into things, they just want it handed to them, good ideas get shot down.

1. Percentage of games attended last year: They scan student IDs upon entrance right? Your raw, rounded, whole number percentage attended gets you that many points. (15 of 18 games is 83 points)

How about percentage of games attended over the previous 3 years? That way the senior who has faithfully been going has a better shot in their last year than a sophomore who will have future opportunities.

well what if your a student and you have no tickets but people dont show

I mentioned this on another thread, but sell rush seating. However, instead of to the general public, it goes to those with student ID's. A small ticket fee can be paid so the REA can make some additional revenue.

This idea works ever better with the plan the Sicatoka brought forth because in the scenario I just posted, if that sophomore didn't get tickets, they could still attend some games via rush seating, and increase their percentage of games attended. This would give them an advantage next year over an incoming freshman.

This is coming together nicely!