SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Blais on KKXL

The Sicatoka

IMO the big difference between Michigan's home ice advantage is they get the regionals at Yost. While Minnesota had the home crowd advantage, the team had to play at the Excel which is a small sheet of ice. Gophers play better on the large ice surface. Its all good. Just play the game and score more goals than the other team. That way you never have anything to complain about.

Without getting into the "Home Ice" debate, which I think is pretty frivolous, good teams win wherever they play. Be it REA, Mariucci, Xcel, Yost or whatever, a good team should be able to win in hostile and friendly places. Accordingly, Minnesota played well enough last season to get into the FF and eventually win the Title.

A new season is around the corner, and then we can cease with the off-season nonsense, finally. Drop the puck! :D

Doubt that anyone will apologize for winning at home. Nor do I see any reason for fans of the winner to attempt to "defend" winning at home.

Don't see the reason for Goph fans to go ballistic because someone attempts to "taint" the win due to being at home or winning because of, IE Maine getting a penalty while Hauser did not", yada, yada, yada.

The outcome isn't going to change, the trophy will remain where it's at.

I just finished my daily perusal of POI. Wohoo! After a successful season and a promising upcoming year a large number of posters over there are uptight about Coach Blais' comments from his recent interview. I heard the interview that's being discussed - I'd hazard that not one of the complainers actually heard it, they just read a synopsis posted by PCM and/or me. Here's a clue: Blais is blunt. He was not complaining/whining. "That's the fact(s) Jack." I've LISTENED (actually heard HIS voice speak the words/ give the answers) to Blais' comments (pre-game, post-game, coaches' shows, weekday interviews, and during one memorable face to face conversation) for seven years. Coach Blais doesn't sugar coat his words, he doesn't dance around what he's thinking. The fact is that last season a majority of the Gopher's games during the postseason were played in front of a crowd comprised mainly of Gopher fans, the players were able to stay at home (not live out of suitcase), a situation any team would want. The bottom line was that the Gophers won the games they needed to win. Congrats to them. If posters chose to put they're own uninformed spin on it so be it. Actually I'm sure that most of the lurkers understand that, however, at present there are no games to talk about so "let's trash Coach Blais' comments" is the favorite game on-line now. Yah, I was fished in, responding to what they posted - I probably should've just ignored those comments as you all did, but I was cranky today, so........

Here's my question - How much of the interviews should a person post on here? Truthfully, there is probably much more that could be posted, but I'd rather not have some tattletales run amock with/distort what I post. However, for posters like Speez, Sockeye, Mr. Notterman, others outside the listening area.... I would think they'd like to have some information regarding interviews with the coaches. Yes, the interviews are given in a public forum (radio in this case) so it is "public", however, this forum is generally limited to/intended for the GF area and UND hockey fans, not to be broadcast "nationwide"; that being the case the discussions on the radio can be rather blunt/open.

To your last point, I am one of the grateful readers from afar, but I think it would be fair for the person summarizing the conversation to use some discretion on the Sioux board. It's a fact of life that college hockey fans visit here (why wouldn't they, as they try to get a little of that winning tradition to rub off (added for our friends in the TC)), so things are sure to be spread about. So part of me thinks discretion would be good.

The other part of me that really enjoys reading the updates recommends that such discretion be used sparingly.

Maybe we could use code words!!!!! :0

You know: if Coach Blais has a really good zinger we could post that it was a "stellar" interview given by CB - and if out-of-area people want more "details" could e-mail us!!!!! Just call me James Bond, Jr. ;):D

(I am joking - as no one is able to hear my "inflection/tone" I thought I better add this disclaimer.)

My opinion is that whatever is said in a public forum by the coaches or players could and should be said here. First and foremost this is for discussion by Sioux fans (and therefore information for Sioux fans). We shouldn't be worried about how those comments will be taken by others. That is a risk. As a Sioux fan I would want to know whatever it was without someone else interpreting it for me. Let the chips fall where they may after that.

Thanks for posting the info and keep it up, kr.

At least this time it was information such as Blais quotes that were taken over onto someone else's site for conversation and criticism. That information was already put out on the airwaves anyway.

Please keep posting the coaches interviews. Being a player's parent living outside the UND area, these posts are the only way we can hear about them.

These forums are always a good vitamin for the day as well.

Thanks for your contributions.

I think that the key is to make certain that what's posted on this board is an accurate reflection of the comments made on the radio. I don't put quote marks around a statement unless I'm 100 percent certain that it's exactly what was said. Otherwise, I try to paraphrase the statements. Nobody should take my postings as "verbatim transcripts" of the interviews because they are not intended as such.

I also operate on the assumption that what Blais or any other coach says on the radio is what he wants people to hear, regardless of whether it ruffles the feathers of opposing coaches, players and fans. When someone makes statements in a public forum, it's pointless to attempt to guess at which statements were for the general populace and which were intended for a specific audience.

I think that the key is to make certain that what's posted on this board is an accurate reflection of the comments made on the radio. I don't put quote marks around a statement unless I'm 100 percent certain that it's exactly what was said. Otherwise, I try to paraphrase the statements. Nobody should take my postings as "verbatim transcripts" of the interviews because they are not intended as such.

I also operate on the assumption that what Blais or any other coach says on the radio is what he wants people to hear, regardless of whether it ruffles the feathers of opposing coaches, players and fans. When someone makes statements in a public forum, it's pointless to attempt to guess at which statements were for the general populace and which were intended for a specific audience.

I think there you have the standard.

Please keep posting the coaches interviews. Being a player's parent living outside the UND area, these posts are the only way we can hear about them.

These forums are always a good vitamin for the day as well.

Thanks for your contributions.

As it goes with the other parents who frequent this board, please make sure your sons know how much we are behind them this year.

I'd sure like to continue hearing what's been said on coach's shows.

Don't worry about the POI posters; even after a successful year last year, there are a number of Goph fans still suffering from the previous four. Doubt that loud wining about Blais will change his style.

Hope it doesn't impact what is posted on this board, either.

To your last point, I am one of the grateful readers from afar, but I think it would be fair for the person summarizing the conversation to use some discretion on the Sioux board. It's a fact of life that college hockey fans visit here (why wouldn't they, as they try to get a little of that winning tradition to rub off (added for our friends in the TC)), so things are sure to be spread about. So part of me thinks discretion would be good.

The other part of me that really enjoys reading the updates recommends that such discretion be used sparingly.

I agree with jk. It's one thing to summarize somebody's comments, it's another to rollout the "bulletin board material" on a public forum, even if it was broadcast in another way. So some discretion is in order IMO.

That said, if there's really good, but inflammatory, dish, a number of us often email each other to keep certain things under wraps, e.g., recruits, injuries, scouting, etc. We can always use the IM function here too for the juicy stuff. :D

Thanks again kr & PCM, really do appreciate the info from the radio shows.

As I said above guys, keep it coming.

I wouldn't worry too much about what others think. Just makes things more interesting. Maybe when the season starts they'll be too busy tooting their own horns to each other & forget about the Sioux board.

If you say it on a public airway you know someone is going to hear it. If you put it out there someone will recapture it, even in paraphrased form.

Believing otherwise is naive.

The last thing I'd ever call Coach Blais is naive.

If he didn't want it out there, he wouldn't have said it.

Somewhere Blais had mentioned the league cracking down on stick penalties. I was wondering if anyone had more information on what that would involve. For instance on the USHL site they have an "ask the ref" page and they explain their new points of emphasis regarding stick infractions. Does anyone know the changes for the boys this year?

Thanks

Blais was on KKXL this morning. At the risk of causing more havoc .... :p

He kidded Tim and Swyg about baiting him last time. ;):D

REA is just another arena now and that's a good thing. Less of a distraction. (It was more of a distraction than we understand I guess.)

He wants to get the team on the road because he believes that's where a team comes together. An "us against the world" mentality comes about when you travel.

It's "Meet the Sioux" hockey team night.

He went to the Sioux/Bison VB match over the weekend. He said that he didn't realize that those could be so much fun.

He'll be at Fargo at Sioux Boosters at the Kelly Inn today. That's where people eat lunch and the coaches stand up and make excuses. ;)

He said they normally get about 100 at those but it's Sioux/Bison this week so there may be more. He's going to fill time because Dale Lennon may be a little busy this week.

The hockey team was young last year and there wasn't enough (what they had was good, but not enough) leadership to go around. That's not a problem this year. He figured the team is at least a month ahead of where it was last year in that area.

He figures the defense is solid. The forwards are going to score some goals and provide offense.

He sounded concerned with goaltending. He said that no one (Siembida, Brandt, Sofie, Marc Ranfranz) has established themselves as the top guy. He also said he figured Siembida and Brandt were the most in front right now but that seems to change day to day. He also gave the best job description of a goaltender that I've heard: Stop the puck.

Mostly he sounded like he wants to get this team on the road so it can completely focus on the job ahead.

The announcers and Coach Blais also talked a bit about Meet the Sioux. Doors open at 5pm tonight (Tuesday) at the REA. A scrimmage around 6pm for the men - I believe the women's team will scrimmage later in the evening.

Goaltending sounds like it is becoming a concern. I had hoped we would be able to have 1 solid goaltender but that sounds like it is not the case as of yet. Blais does seem to have very high expectations for his tenders, so maybe he is just overly critical. Hope so.