SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Blais on KKXL

The Sicatoka

Tim asked Coach Blais (CB hereafter) why do you think you weren't picked to win the league? CB: probably 'cause we tied into 6th place last year. (the question and answer were tongue in cheek)

As for the team: Probably the largest blue line at UND in recent memory, there is no one skilled ala Travis Roche/Jordan Leopold/Curtis Murphy, but they are agressive. The big concern honestly will be penalties, while that is sort of humorous, it could very well be a problem (think of Mike Commodore's last season, every time he stepped on the ice the officials knew exactly where he was and what he was doing). The league has stated that this year they will crack down on the stick penalties - in the hopes of allowing more free-wheeling and open space play. Matt Greene is here to fill a role like MC - we want the other teams to appreciate the size of the D - won't allow other teams forwards in to the net - goalie has to make the initial save, if they do that the d-men will make sure no one is around for any rebounds.

There is more but I have to run an errand.... more installments later today (I'm taking a page out of Glenn's book!!!!!)

Here are my notes from today's KKXL radio interview with Dean Blais conducted by Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman:

Blais isn't surprised to be picked to finish fifth as a result of 6th place finish last season. He expected Denver to be picked to repeat because of its goaltending. Blais thinks the Sioux can finish better than fifth place, but "we're still a young team."

About the defensive corps, he said that they are probably the biggest he's had, but they're surprisingly mobile.

"They

Blais said the team isn't in great condition yet, but it's in much better shape this year than it was last year.

Not in great condition yet? Since practice (with coaches) started on the 24th, imagine their tongues are hanging out by now.

Thanks PCM - also when talking about the tourney this weekend at Buffalo it was stated that they, the organizers, wanted Michigan and North Dakota as these two are the teams with the most national titles and the organizers felt it would give the tourney more prestige - the ticket sales were good for this coming weekend.

Like PCM stated, CB commented on how important wins are for a young team (this was in regards to the difficulty of this year's schedule compared to say last year's) - sometimes a young teams needs a team you can beat - then the Vikings example came up - he talked about Randy Moss saying "it's not my fault" (regarding the terrible start) - he said that everyone, players and coaches need to take ownership of "0-4" start.

CB stated that he was glad to see UMN win as it was a win for the league. It was a good interview - if the team plays with the intensity CB had during the interview it'll be a fun year. There was no "sugar" in this interview.

One really encouraging bit of news is that Blais likes Fylling to play on the top line. That changes the whole lineup for me, and it allows the Sioux to "disperse" their juniors and seniors down among the 2nd, 3rd, & even the 4th lines!

It sounds like UND will be rolling 4 lines that will all have experienced playmakers. That's a stark contrast to last season and one of the reasons UND should do well this year.

One aspect of the Blais interview I should have mentioned was his point about how Mike Commodore's offensive skills improved with time. The reason he brought that up was because although he admits that there is no Travis Roche or Curtis Murphy on the team, it is possible for D-minded defensemen to evolve into a more offensive role.

My interpretation of this is that we shouldn't be surprised to see someone like Andy Schneider, Matt Jones or Nick Fuehr develop into competent blueline QBs. Instead of one Travis Roche, perhaps the Sioux will have two or three Brad Williamsons. Would that be so bad? :D

Instead of one Travis Roche, perhaps the Sioux will have two or three Brad Williamsons. Would that be so bad? :D

Not so bad at all. Going back to Gino's early 80's teams, they did not have a Roche-like defensemen (Patrick had the ability but played more stay at home than either Roche or Murphy), but gave up only a minimum of good chances game after game. That didn't detract from their ability to make good outlets to forwards up ice. A more defensive style than we've seen recently but a successful one nonetheless.

Despite Goph fans insistence that the Sioux have no Leopold, Ballard, or Martin, good defensive teams can have good success in spite of it; in fact, too many offensive minded defensemen can be a defensive liability against a 80's like Sioux team.

I'd put the 82 Sioux team up against the Gophs of last year and this year, and wouldn't expect MN to win many times.

I'd put the 82 Sioux team up against the Gophs of last year and this year, and wouldn't expect MN to win many times.

I'd put the 82 Sioux team up against any college team from any era, and I would like my chances.

Let's face it, not many teams have a Leopold or a Roche and I think its unrealistic to expect one to develop out of this group of defensemen. If they can become solid at handling the puck in their own zone and starting the offensive rush, that will be a huge improvement over last year and as sprig said, may be all that is needed for this team. They had shown improvement in this area by the end of last year but still have a ways to go. Defensively, I think our young guys are ahead of the curve.

I don't get how anyone can think that Paul Martin is going to be another Leopold. I've seen him play over a dozen times the last 2 years and am not that impressed. Maybe I'm missing something, it wouldn't be the first time. Ballard however, if he shows strong freshman to sophmore progression (as you would expect from a defenseman), will be something special.

Ballard however, if he shows strong freshman to sophmore progression (as you would expect from a defenseman), will be something special.

I'd only disagree about Ballard's ability to play good defense, when he is in position to do so. As good as he is offensively, he still appears to be a defensively liablility, as I saw him get burned often one on one in the Goph end on a good move by an opposing forward, including one that led to a Maine goal in the championship.

Reminded me very much of the lean the wrong way we saw often by Schneekloth, including the lean on Kolanos that led to the GWG against BC. Think Ballard still has some problems defensively, although he will no doubt improve in that area.

Goph posters were saying how well Martin played defensively, but I didn't notice one way or the other on TV, just noticed him up ice giving up odd man rushes often during the regular season.

Still think Leopold was their only Dman who was very good at both ends of the ice.

Blais says he's worried about penalties because the WCHA says it will be calling more obstruction and stick penalties this season.

He doesn't like the schedule at all, but says the WCHA arranges it, so they have to play it. "If the computer comes up with it, throw it away."

Although 12 of final 16 games are on the road, Blais said, "We

1440 am interview this morning (Friday)..... Tim and Swyg interviewed Coach Dave Hakstol....... 2 years ago during practices not a lot of teaching went on ..... 1 year ago during practice the flow would be stopped so that teaching could be done ..... this year is get out there and go during practice. There are only a few new faces. Priorities are to get into game shape and get into combinations.

Senior class learned how to win as freshman as they all stepped up and played major roles in the 2000 championship. The junior class is battle tested (overtime loss in championship 2001 game).

There are 3 captains that set the tone, but there are more leaders on this team than just those 3.

Mentioned 2 d-men that more than likely will be the main power play contributors: Nick F. (good hands) and Andy S. (not afraid to make a mistake, confident, agressive).

Swyg asked what do you look for in determining your d-men combinations? The blueprint would be pairing a "big guy" (like David Hale) with a "puck wizard" (like Travis Roche). There isn't a TR on the team, and probably not in the league. The team d needs to gain consistency - last year partners never really were set. So far this year David H. and Andy S. have been together and Matt Greene (ton of potential/some ups some downs) with Matt Jones (rock solid 2 way d-man). Little bit of talk about Coach Hakstol's (during his varsity time at UND) d partners Russ Parent and Brad Bombardir.

Goalie talk: Josh S. and Jake B.: very happy with Josh's practice yesterday, but it is still early. They (JS and JB) are fighting for that spot, both seemed to have earned the right to play.

One week until game time, the coaches are anxious to get out on the road with this group to see how they gel.

When this interview ended the radio station played an interview by Tim with Andy S. from earlier this week.

There are some big guys out on the ice, and Andy isn't the biggest. As a defensive unit they are not going to lead the nation in points scored but we can clear out the area arount the net. The guys are working on figuring out when is a good time and when is a bad time for a penalty. Last year was a disappointment - the excuse that we are a young team only goes so long - only 1 year of rebuilding - last year was a fluke and they have something to prove. They want teams to dread coming to REA and Grand Forks. The pace of the game is much "speedier".

Sorry for the disjointed notes...there was a much better flow in the interviews but I missed parts of the interview(s).

When one of the our regulars post the website address on POI you get a lot of riff-raff stopping in to take a look.

Rif-raf? Why I oughta....

I disagree with some of the views on Paul Martin. He is not a physical player so it's easy to miss how well he plays in our end, but he is very effective and has amazingly quick hands. BTW, he won the Gophers Iron man competition and many claim he might be the best athlete on campus - any sport.

Hey, at least we welcome riff-raff on our board. :D

I like PMart's play, except he plays the Sioux. :0 He has good hands, can move well and plays a solid defensive game. If he was a bit bigger, say around 200 or so, I'd bet he would get a nice offer from the Big Club. I also think he's a better all around player than Ballard, but Martin has more years under his belt too.

Hey, at least we welcome riff-raff on our board. :0

You post on POI, don't you. The defense rests. :D

Ballard takes too many chances in the offensive zone, but he's able to get away with it because of his speed.

BTW - I assume (as Scott mentioned on POI) that Blais was laughing when he made the "backyard" comment. MN has lost twice in the FF we participated in that were in St. Paul since '89 (plus once in Duluth in '81) and I beleive the last team to win at "home" was BU in '72. The WCHA tourney was a league decision. While I can't say I'm disappointed, I do think it should move around - Madison/Milwaukee, Denver, & GF should get a taste.

It's hard to say what context Blais comments were made in without hearing the interview directly. Regardless, anyone would be jealous of MN accessability to postseason play, most notable the Final Five, and when lucky enough, the Frozen Four.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match about this because I don't think it is a big deal, and it's all in the luck of the draw on the location of that tournament in a particular year. But anyone would have to agree that postseason play in your own hometown is a benefit. People give Michigan lots of grief for regionals on their home ice, etc. No different for MN. So I don't see a comment along those lines as being out of line, and I find the righteous indignation of some MN fans very interesting.

I will agree, however, it is the kind of comment that invites that sort of attention. When I read it myself I wondered how long it would be before it was criticized.

As for the location of the Final Five, I am damn glad it is in St. Paul every year. Whereas I don't think that is fair to the rest of the league, it makes it possible for me to attend every year. Yay! Without even commenting on whether it gives any team a benefit, it would be nice for fans around the leaque to have the games closer to their own home from time to time.

Screw 'em, I say!