SiouxSports.com Forum

Questions from a Gopher fan heading to NoDak!

FIRE HELMET GUY #26

Hello fellow hockey fans! A group of 4 of us DID end up finding tickets and will be making the trek to Grand Forks to watch the Sioux vs. Gophers series!!!! We were just kind of wondering the fun places to go for pre-game and post game food and drinks. What I would REALLY like to know is what is a "Grinder" from the Red Pepper? I have heard about these for years but have no idea what they are, can anyone fill me in?

Also, is there anything fun to do during the day in GF, any malls or anything. I know we are going to check out Cabela's when we are up there but were just wondering some other things to do while we are waiting for the Saturday pre-game booze time and game.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks! :p:love:

As a former GF resident, I can tell you that I ALWAYS hit the Red Pepper for a Grinder (with taco meat) when I come back to visit.

Hanging out at the Blue Moose (great walleye!) and/or Whitey's on Saturday afternoon to shoot pool and watch college football is also fun.

Regardless of what folks are speculating regarding the quality of Minnesota's team this year as well as the Sioux squad for next year (both are predicted to have young teams), the series is always intense and fun!

What I would REALLY like to know is what is a "Grinder" from the Red Pepper?

That would be the only good sub-like sandwich you've ever eaten. Tastes as good coming back up through your nose as it does going down conventionally :p

Order the 4 pack ahead of time and enjoy all the way to GF. I'm partial to salami with taco meat and colby cheese, xtra mayo, xtra hot.

WOW, thanks for all the helpful responses. Of all the roadtrips I am going on this year (which is ALL of them but one!) I think this is the one I am looking forward to the most! Just because it is the first roadtrip of the year and because I really want to see the Ralph.

Keep the ideas coming if you have them! :p

If you are a golfer and the course is still open in October, I'd check out the Arnold Palmer signature course on the south end of town. It is called "Kings Walk". There could be snow then, and I'm not sure when it closes like I said....

I would question wether they will still be open by that time. Valley Golf is another good selection in East Grand Forks. They will ussually stay open till the ground is covered with snow.

WOW, thanks for all the helpful responses. Of all the roadtrips I am going on this year (which is ALL of them but one!) I think this is the one I am looking forward to the most! Just because it is the first roadtrip of the year and because I really want to see the Ralph.

Keep the ideas coming if you have them! :p

Where are your seats? Be sure and visit the north end club (and south end if they open it for public access pre and during the game)

Here I am giving advice about GF and I have been away for 2 years now...where do all the college kids hang out now??? I always made the trip to the Down Under on Fridays for 1.50 pitchers and went to the Edge. I have heard the Edge is closed and will be named something new and changed.

If you like steak, the Bronze Boot is great. It's on North Washington (I believe it's old hwy #81) just about a 1/4 mile north of the intersection of Gateway (hyw #2) and North Washington (the El Roco Lounge is on the southwest corner of this intersection). Enjoy your visit to GF, but I hope you are very dissapointed at the outcomes of the games!

If you like steak, the Bronze Boot is great. It's on North Washington (I believe it's old hwy #81) just about a 1/4 mile north of the intersection of Gateway (hyw #2) and North Washington (the El Roco Lounge is on the southwest corner of this intersection). Enjoy your visit to GF, but I hope you are very dissapointed at the outcomes of the games!

And while you are in that neighborhood - and if you don't mind walking into smoke so think you need portable oxygen to breathe - stop in at McMenemy's to catch 3 for 1's Saturday morning.

I highly recommend Whitey's. Even post-flood, it is still a great place to eat, drink and have a good time.

No trip to GF is complete w/o a late night stop at the Pepper. :p

Also recommend the Down Under for Bucks on Friday afternoon Does Sensations, or whatever it is/was above the DU, still have 2-1 drinks at 6:00?

Well it looks like I won't have to worry about being sober for this roadtrip! Thanks for all the great tips people, now if only that weekend was any closer. :p

Are there any spots for pre-game that are considered the official "pre-game" bar? I'm sure us Gopher fans will get severly savaged being there but that is half the experience of roadtrips I guess. I do think I'll have to leave the fire helmet home for this series though, I don't think it would make it back in one piece! Honestly I just like bs'ing with opposing fans on roadtrips, thats why I'm curious, where the real "die hards" hang before the games.

Well it looks like I won't have to worry about being sober for this roadtrip! Thanks for all the great tips people, now if only that weekend was any closer. :p

Are there any spots for pre-game that are considered the official "pre-game" bar? I'm sure us Gopher fans will get severly savaged being there but that is half the experience of roadtrips I guess. I do think I'll have to leave the fire helmet home for this series though, I don't think it would make it back in one piece! Honestly I just like bs'ing with opposing fans on roadtrips, thats why I'm curious, where the real "die hards" hang before the games.

The Southgate is fun. Dubay and Swygman (local GF radio guy) did a afternoon drive-time remote broadcast from there before Friday's game last season. Was fun shooting the breeze with those guys about the WCHA, Vikings, etc.

I don't think you will have a problem with being harrassed. Although there are always exceptions - as I recall last year - a couple of hogs (women) wearing the Gopher jerseys last year at Dagwoods before the game on Friday night - got a bit too cocky and intoxicated. I believe I saw a few bowls of popcorn being lobbed over at them. Although being extremely portly ladies they consumed most of it before any hit them or the ground.

We like Dagwoods the best, mainly because it is SMOKE FREE. The atmosphere is good, and I always seem to see people I know. The waitresses are nice looking and do a good job of keeping us in beer. We welcome fans for the opposition since it gives us an easy target for good-natured jokes after the game...

Fire Helment,

Actually you can go to a lot of the local bars and take a fan bus to the game, that way you don't have to worry about parking or driving after consuming adult beverages. They drop you off at the game and pick you up after the game. I know Whitey's, Dagwoods, The bar in the South Forks mall (I can't remember its name) just to name a few that you would probably be able to meet few rabid Sioux fans.