SiouxSports.com Forum

Name That Document!

The Sicatoka

I am holding a document and as I read through it here are the non-probationary Division I schools that appear in the document. (Blank lines refer to new pages/sections of the document):

U of Minnesota Roy Briak Invite

Maine

Minnesota

Northeastern

Boston College

Wisconsin

Canisius

Denver

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Ohio State

Connecticut

Wisconsin

Quinnipiac

Ohio State

Vermont

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Minnesota

Air Force

Wisconsin - Green Bay

Minnesota

Notre Dame

Minnesota and U of Iowa

Minnesota Challenge

The first to specifically name the document (be specific) wins .... bragging rights to being right, and nothing more. :p

Gee tony, the Sioux wanted to play 'SU this year, it's just that 'SU wouldn't play in GF...that and UND football doesn't schedule schools that schedule NAIA schools. Sorry.....

Oh, and by the way, all 'SU had to do in order to play the Sioux was to STAY IN THE NCC! (i.e. 'SU killed the rivalry.)

If you must whine, PLEASE do it elsewhere.

Heck, I was going to guess the name of the document was "DI Teams That UND is Willing To Play Other Than NDSU (Who We Can't Play Because They Are DI and We Are Not)."

Giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you're just feigning ignorance; for everyone else's benefit, none of those D-I opponents are in football, the sport in which UND didn't schedule NDSU because of prohibitive strength-of-schedule implications for tournament scheduling.

The schools just don't play each other for now in football because it's not to both institutions' advantage; I'm sure someday soon it will be again and it will resume. Until then is there really anything new to say about it?

and basketball

and volleyball

and baseball

and track

did you forget about those sports as well?

I believe DII Basketball follows a similar SSI as football. If that's the case, it's understandable to not have that game happen.

Volleyball wouldn't have happened- NDSU was too busy scheduling DI schools to be an RPI qualifier.

Track is more of a tournament event-Neither school really cared for hosting the other in non-conf. meets.(There are probably are other reasons, same as VB, but I'll refrain from listing them)

It takes two to Tango, and NDSU and UND ain't dancin'.

I believe DII Basketball follows a similar SSI as football. If that's the case, it's understandable to not have that game happen.

actually in Basketball it may be advantageous to schedule a DI opponent as the SSI is calculated differently and doesn't penalize teams for playing up

1. Overall won-lost record (including Divisions I, II, III and NAIA);

2. Overall strength-of-schedule index:

Win on the road versus a team at or above .750 .............17 points

Win versus Division I team................................................15 points

Win at home versus a team at or above .750...................14 points

Win on the road versus a team at or above .500 .............13 points

etc

At least in men's BB I would probably rather play a "DI" NDSU this year than a .750 DII team

You mean a school scheduled an athletic program based on what would be best for that program in terms of a post-season formula?

NDSU VB won't be playoff eligible until 2006, so in one word- no.

The quandry was to get DI schools on the schedule. No DI schools wanted to schedule a first year DI reclassification school, as they count as a DII for the RPI. The only way NDSU could be a DI counter for the RPI was to schedule a vast majority of games against DI schools (I believe they only could have a total of four games against non-DI schools). It was an "All or nothing" mission. A disclaimer had to be made in scheduling that NDSU was trying to be an RPI counter, but if they didn't meet the minimum number of DI games to be an RPI counter, the game would be cancelled.