SiouxSports.com Forum

Tuition Survey of Flagship Universities

Rick

What exactly does 'flagship university' mean? I notice Montana and Montana State were both included. But in ND and SD the State U's were not included.

University of Minnesota, Twin Cities ** 7,336 13% 8,255

Wow, has tuition gone up at the UofM. My wife went there for two years (the last being two years ago) and I believe paid less than $6K a year in tuition. Of course that doesn't include all of the damn fees :p I thought NDSU and UND were bad, they have nothing on the UofM, they charge extra for everything. Plus a parking pass (if your lucky enough to get one) runs about $400 - a semester!

I really don't think it was meant to be a comprehensive list of all public flagship universities. Oregon State, the University of Idaho, and the University of Utah were not on the list. They would have to be considered flagship universities (I would think) in their respective states.

I think in some states (examples-Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Colorado, Texas, Illinois, Indiana, North Dakota, etc) it's clear which university is considered the flagship. There are maybe 6 states that have a couple of schools that might be considered the flagship.

Flagship means "the chief one of a related group". So in North Dakota, if you lined up the school flags, the University of North Dakota would be the highest flag in the center. And then you would go down on either side with Minot State, Dickinson State, Mayville State, Jamestown, UMary, Bottineau and so on down the line.

I think in some states (examples-Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Colorado, Texas, Illinois, Indiana, North Dakota, etc) it's clear which university is considered the flagship. There are maybe 6 states that have a couple of schools that might be considered the flagship.

Flagship means "the chief one of a related group". So in North Dakota, if you lined up the school flags, the University of North Dakota would be the highest flag in the center. And then you would go down on either side with Minot State, Dickinson State, Mayville State, Jamestown, UMary, Bottineau and so on down the line.

Try telling somebody from Idaho that Idaho State is the flagship university in that state. I guess the SUNY's must be better schools than Cornell by the same reasoning.

Another way to determine the flagship would simply be to have the school with the highest athletic department by divsion.

In that case, since NDSU is DI and UND is DII, NDSU would be the flagship.

It works in every other state as well.

Or you could ask major publications like Newsweek, US News & World Report, the Wall Street Journal, etc.....or, yet another way, would be to go around to the U of Michigan, Harvard, U of MN, Boston College, U of Wisc, Florida, Cornell, Yale, etc and do a survey and see what kind of response you get.

Or, I suppose you could go do survey's at Greeley, Brookings, San Luis Obispo, Davis, Cedar City, etc and see what response you get. :p

i think to be fair and contradict the definition used by usatoday

1. flagship schools are the premier state institution of higher learning, i.e. who's the best

2. you cannot, by definition, have more than one flagship

as a result some states don't have one

Minnesota, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, ... have flagships

North Dakota, Iowa, Indiana do not

1. flagship schools are the premier state institution of higher learning, i.e. who's the best

That made no sense at all, anyways...

When is NDSU going to realize they just ain't in the same class as UND?

Yes you can argue about what the definition of flagship is, but UND is Tier 3, NDSU is tier 4.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/r...tudoc_brief.php

You won't find NDSU in this book; Best 357 Colleges

There is only doubt among NDSU fans, which school is the 'flagship.'

Are they looking at state flagship schools as being the ones that produce doctors and lawyers as well as undergraduates?

probably not- Idaho doesn't have a Med School- the Law school is at the university of Idaho, and the University of Idaho is the state's land-grant institution. I have no idea why they picked Idaho St. They also included both Ohio U and Ohio St- I don't think many people would confuse would say Ohio U competes with Ohio St as the flagship of Ohio

I think this is correct.

The easiest way to understand this is to look at the Morrill land-grant act.

All the states that had big public universities before the act had their land grants get called X State University (with some notable exceptions: AL=Auburn, SC=Clemson, NJ=Rutgers, and a few more I think). UND was already around, so they couldn't call the ND land-grant UND.

Some states, however, didn't already have a big public university, so those state's land-grants DID get to be called the University of X. Minnesota and Wisconsin are good examples.

THOSE are what the true flagships are. UND isn't a flagship simply because it's not the land-grant for the state.

UND is an Air Craft Carrier and NDSu is a gun ship. It is amazing how they come on this board and argue when they can't face the truth. Would you rather have the greatest University in the State or get your initials scrawled on the bottom of the TV screen. (And have people wonder in their family room, I wonder where North Dickenson State University is?)

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/land/lgif/m2783l.gif

Anywhere you see a blue dot that is called "University of [state name here]", that represents a flagship.

States without such a school have no flagship.

BTW, flagship doesn't mean the best (public) school in the state, it simply means that the first established public school in the state was also the state's land grant school.

No, the blue dots are just old land grants.

"Flagship" can mean whatever the author wants it to mean at the time. USA Today picked theirs.

PS - I'm pretty sure "land grant" doesn't mean much to a newspaper that seems to focus primarily on two kinds of schools: Ivy League and all the rest.

UND is an Air Craft Carrier and NDSu is a gun ship. It is amazing how they come on this board and argue when they can't face the truth. Would you rather have the greatest University in the State or get your initials scrawled on the bottom of the TV screen. (And have people wonder in their family room, I wonder where North Dickenson State University is?)

that's funny :0

i like getting naval analogies from a guy whose probably never seen the ocean let a lone a ship :p