SiouxSports.com Forum

Central Washington and Potato Bowl

Let'sGoHawks!

It's time for the Potato Bowl again!

Anyone know about Central Washington this year? They lost to Caroll College. Any predictions on starting QB? Bowenkamp is the starter, but he might still be hurt. Would you go with Belmore again? Based on his performance against Mesa, he should get the start if JB is not healthy.

Does anyone know if CW plays a pass first or run first offense. I seem to remember them being a pass first last time they played us. Also what was the score of the game they lost to Caroll?

From what I remember, they're more of a pass-first, three-step drop sort of team. Somewhat like SCSU. Lots of quick slants, etc. The 2002 CW team was pretty loaded with transfers, etc. and UND had one of their worst seasons in recent history that year.

UND-45

CW-7

Digger with a TD :p

I'm scared of Central Washington. I know UND was as worthless of a team that I've ever seen at UND two years ago, but they still handed it to us pretty good that sunny patatoe bowl day. What was the score? 43-7..... :0

That being said UND's entire football team has improved leaps and bounds since that day two years ago, but there is still that painful lingering memory..... :p

interesting this thread contains a significant # of posts from BISON fans :p:0:p What do you care about DIVISION II :) (OH, you know you do!) CWU lost their opener then won last week behind a 200+ rushing performance by a senior...JECKYLL AND HYDE?? Who will show who up at the AL this weekend is anyones guess...I can tell you the Sioux still remember 2002

Central Wash. was good two years ago, as they went undefeated during the regular season, including a win at Montana St., before losing to UC-Davis in the playoffs. However, despite coming into last season highly ranked, they fell back down to earth and had a very mediocre season. They're 1-1 so far this year, both games being against Montana NAIA teams. I will venture to guess they they have nowhere near the talent of Delta St., and just as the Sioux had something to prove against Mesa last week, it should be even moreso for this game. I think the Sioux will make a big statement on Saturday. I would look for something far more similar to the 2000 game at Memorial Stadium than the 2002 game.

Just for reference, for all you tailgaters and folks who can now have a cold adult beverage inside the arena at The Alerus Center, and I'm sure it has nothing to do with Potato Bowl :p , KFGO Radio is reporting this morning that this weekend's North Dakota Highway Patrol sobriety check point will be somewhere in Grand Forks County.

I look for the Sioux Defense to have another dominant showing. This time Central Washington actually has the ability to pass, and though we shut down the run last week, and the week before, we still cant allow anyone to have 200 yards recieving personally (though the two chunks came on a questionable call, and one bad angle), . I want a shutout, and we havent had one yet, and I think it is perfect to get a streak started going into the bye week, and starting the conference season. Lets go sioux defense...You guys have all the keys, and depth and players, lets see you put together another complete game, and we didnt have any defensive touchdowns last week (Gagner was soooo close). I predict we will have a score like 53-0. With two defensive scores......Go SIOUX!!!!!

Article in the Ellensburg Daily Record: CWU football faces tough task

The Central Washington University football team will play at North Dakota today at 11 a.m in Grand Forks, N.D.

It will be a tall order for the Wildcats (1-1 overall). North Dakota (2-0) is the No. 2 ranked National Collegiate Athletic Association Division II team in the country.

"It should be a great challenge," said CWU coach John Zamberlin. "They're a big, physical team." He added that North Dakota has some ability to throw the football as well.

The Fighting Sioux, which plays its home games in the domed, 13,500 capacity Alerus Center, will try to exploit mismatches, Zamberlin said.

"They're big up front," he said. "They're going to have a size advantage on us. We have to take away their running game and take away their best routes."

Central is coming off a 34-17 win over Montana-Western in the Rodeo Bowl Sept. 3. In that game, senior Emilio Iniguez rushed for a career-high 219 yards and two touchdowns.

On the offensive line, CWU has been battered by injuries this season. Aaron Gilbert, Zach Hubbell and Mike Don were banged up as of Tuesday. Zamberlin said the reserves have performed well.

"We have a lot of young faces there that have played very well," he said. "Coach (John) Picha has done a great job with the O-line. Considering all the injuries, I think they have performed very well."

North Dakota beat Delta State 28-19, Aug. 28, and Mesa State 65-7 last Saturday.

"Really, in my mind, the only ones expecting us to win the football game are ourselves," Zamberlin said.