SiouxSports.com Forum

Fargo Forum's Coverage

CoteauRinkRat

"We'll also continue to provide staff coverage of home games at the University of North Dakota, which now plays in the minor leagues of most sports, at least compared with the Bison.

We'll continue our reports on UND's national hockey powerhouse, although winter and spring sports coverage at NDSU is bound to gain more prominence as Bison teams take on more big-name universities."

That quote is from Lou Ziegler's column in sunday's Forum. It made me fall over and laugh at the breakfast table this morning. Since they feel that UND is in the minor leagues, I guess I will have to cancel my subscription along with the advertising I do in there for my business. I would urge other Sioux fans/alumni to do the same since they feel we play in the minor leagues now.

Isn't D2 the "minor league"?? Seems to most people it is! :( The Forum is just doing what the vast majority of people want.....coverage of North Dakota's major league athletic team. Sorry folks, but that is the Bison. Just look at the game attendance figures and that says it all. We had almost double the UND attendance at the Fargodome. That speaks volumes about the fools running UND and the missed chances for UND to go D1. Don't be mad at the Forum.....Be mad at those who perpetuate a stagnant vision for UND. ???

Lennon's post-game comments included, "At least there was one good competitive football game played in ND today."

Valpo certainly has D1 basketball name recognition. BTW, was that their BB team that they put pads on yesterday?

I laughed too...It's just typical Fargo/NDSU arrogance!! That "minor league" seemed fine when they won their national championships. They act like they so dominated the competition they HAD to move up - again - NDSU hasn't won ANYTHING in that minor football league in 15+ years!

also got news for Lou...AA is the MINOR LEAGUE of Division ONE football...Valpo proved to be Alpo! Like I said in a previous thread...at least Crookston had 4 scholarships when we played them.

and I'll take 10,000+ screaming fans at the Al over the 19,000 sit on your hands "fans" at the barn anyday.

Isn't D2 the "minor league"?? Seems to most people it is! :( The Forum is just doing what the vast majority of people want.....coverage of North Dakota's major league athletic team. Sorry folks, but that is the Bison. Just look at the game attendance figures and that says it all. We had almost double the UND attendance at the Fargodome. That speaks volumes about the fools running UND and the missed chances for UND to go D1. Don't be mad at the Forum.....Be mad at those who perpetuate a stagnant vision for UND. ???

The dome attendance record is still a 2002 D2 game between UND and NDSU. NDSU all but gave the tickets away to get people in the door. Let's look at the attendance after the shine wears off. Keep playing teams like that and attendance will drop like a rock. Play real teams and the attendance might be there as NDSU wins, otherwise, your "major league" team will draw next to nobody and Zeigler will devote about as much space to your team as the Star-Tribune...

I'm sure The Forum's coverage of UND will stay the same as it has been in previous years. Wow, a little jab is given in an editorial- File that under all the jabs to NDSU by Virg Foss, Ryan Bakken, etc. of the Herald in the "Who cares?" pile ??? . I guess Concordia alums should cancel their subscriptions to The Forum because they don't get as much coverage as NDSU. It's not as if The Forum is taking the national media's stance that these were the only football games played on saturday- Football Scores

Yawn. It seems to me the Forum had as many articles about UND's football game as it always has, which is frankly the same coverage the Grand Forks Herald gives to higher small-division out-of-town NDSU.

The Forum's market is full enough of UND fans that I don't think any need worry about difficulty getting UND news. If you think your team should get more press coverage, it's up to the team to make itself newsworthy.

You guys just need to admit that UND screwed up big time by not moving up with NDSU.

That remains to be seen.

I think somebody said something to Lou that got under his skin. Sportwriters and editors trading barbs is fairly standard. Executive editors normally refuse to participate in schoolyard tauning and cheap-shotting. I wonder what made Lou decide to lower himself to that level?

Edited by PCM

You guys just need to admit that UND screwed up big time by not moving up with NDSU. Your envy is showing all over these posts. ???

Personally, I can't wait for UND to move up. It will happen sooner than you think but the Alerus will have to be expanded for seating capacity (if economically possible) and improved as to atmosphere and amenities. I will be in Fargo, LMAO if UND goes D1AA and enters a conference before NDSU. It could happen (but is, of course, unlikely yet still very funny to contemplate - could you imagine the NDSU reaction??? Talk about your envy).

But you should be glad that UND didn't go at the same time as NDSU because UND's upward move would have overshadowed NDSU's much needed sideshow that upstaged the reality at NDSU - NDSU's teams weren't much to write home about the past few years, especially when compared to that relatively minor league team located 70 miles north. And you should be happier yet that NDSU didn't have to compete against UND for the same football recruits. I don't think that it would have turned out so good for NDSU.

So anyway, now that NDSU is playing "real" competition, football will rule the Fargo news scene at the expense of all other sports. And that's really too bad. Actually, the Fargo paper will get pretty boring to read as they attempt rehash old football stories over and over again, day after day, looking for any angle to make D1AA football interesting to the reader. Hell, they can't even do an opening day story without talking about the old UND rivalry and taking a shot at UND. The sad reality will always be that any real D1 team could destroy NDSU's only remaining athletic team on the field.

Meanwhile in GF, a competitive and winning football program will rule the fall and Men's Hockey and Women's BB will rule the winter and spring as usual. So I think NDSU is the real loser since, in their envy, they went off half-cocked and ended "up the creek" without a conference....UND will move up, but will do so in a thoughtful way that will allow competition to continue (they'll be in a conference day one and maybe even before NDSU - again, let's all pray for this final, cruel irony).

P.S. - Too bad Valpo won't be coming back for a basketball game. I wonder if the score would be reversed, say maybe Valpo 103 NDSU 12...

NDSU's teams weren't much to write home about the past few years, especially when compared to that relatively minor league team located 70 miles north.

NDSU 4 DII national championships since 2000

UND has four DII national champships EVER ???

yah, I know you have hockey :(

NDSU 4 DII national championships since 2000

UND has four DII national champships EVER :lol:

yah, I know you have hockey :lol:

did anyone on any of those 4 recent NC teams have a penis? I'll give you credit for being a national softball power - THAT IS IMPRESSIVE!! NDSU RRUULLZZZ!!! ???:(;)

Just look at the game attendance figures and that says it all.  We had almost double the UND attendance at the Fargodome.

After the loss at UNC next week, you still think NDSU gets 18,000 to watch NDSU beat Montana Tech the following week by 65? :(

What were Valpo's colors? Seemed like they must have been blue and something. They must have had about 5000 fans scattered throughout the fabulous Fargodome wearing a plastic-looking blue. ;)

Also thought it was pretty funny that a couple of guys that had attended the UND game in Grand Forks were able to drive down to Fargo and get seats on the 50 yard line. How does someone not pick up their will-call tickets to the supposed "biggest football game in North Dakota history"? ???

And what's with all of the concern on here from you Bison "fans"? Shouldn't you be on bisonville.com predicting a 45-3 win next week?

I just find it funny that about 95% of the threads on Bisonville's smacktalk forum still talk about UND. Hillarious. For being so much better than the Sioux, they sure spend alot of time worrying about what UND is doing. Funny stuff.

My favorite Ziegler quote has 'SU as a "player" on the national scene. WTF is that guy smoking? If he thinks 'SU is on the national scene in FB or anything else, he needs to remove his head from Chapman's ass.

Perhaps if the Fraud is going to diminish its coverage of UND sports, UND and its alums/boosters should respond in kind for ad buys, subscriptions, etc.

roll.gifSeems to me it was a UND fan that started the whining on this thread.... :(;)

Let's here another of your brainy theories on how Denver gets into the Big Sky.... ???

When will the Sioux fans be brave enough to admit that Roger Thomas and company really REALLY screwed up....that is the bottom line. Sorry, but a minor sport like hockey doesn't cut it....

roll.gifroll.gif

Why would the local paper increase its coverage of NDSU because they moved up a level? I understand the increased coverage for the first games, but after that I'm not following. Ziegler through out many terms like "powerhouse" "national sports scene" and "major universities".

I admit I am no football expert, actually hockey is the only sport I follow closely, but as far as I can tell there is very little difference between DII and D1-AA. Besides being on the crawler of ESPN News, there is very little more media exposure. From what I recall ESPN broadcasts the title games in DIII, DII, and D1-AA, and shows nothing else from these leagues.

If anything the NDSU showed how D1-AA has no better competition than DII, Valpo won their conferance last season and had a winning record.

The only sport I see having an immediate impact is wrestling.

I agree it appears moving up is probably the best thing for NDSU, and UND will eventually have to move, much like DII hockey it appears the rest of DII is dying out. But to call UND the minor leagues is a bush league cheap-shot that even the Bison fans have to agree is not backed up.

As far as major universities - give me a break. A few close schools may schedule NDSU as a pre-season punching bag, but other than that don't expect many "major" universities on NDSU's schedule. For sure these teams will not be traveling to Fargo.

I think NDSU will become a good football team at the AA level, but I fail to see how that changes from being a good team at the II level. I know I'm biased, but I still think UND hockey is the only "major" sport in the state of ND.

......For starters, the NDSU/UNC game next week is on Fox Sports Network. It will be available on the regional Fox Sports net stations in the following states....

Idaho

Montana

Wyoming

Utah

Colorado

Nebraska

North Dakota

South Dakota

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Kansas

Iowa (part)

Nationally the game will be on Fox Sports Digital Central to the rest of the country.

Pretty impressive for a non-playoff game. I suspect there will be much more publicity to come!

I'm very impressed by your national coverage...let's see what channel is that on??? Channel two seventy what???? Is the game on live, or will the be airing it at say 2:30am Sunday morning??? Let's hope the game isn't interrupted by extended coverage of the National Bochi Ball payoffs because everyone in America expects to see the newly crowned National Powerhouse, the NDSU Bison as they dominate opponent after opponent...