SiouxSports.com Forum

Delta State Predictions!?!

SiouxMeNow

okay...kinda late in the week but shoot up a prediction for Saturday's game! This is no cakewalk! If the defense can perform like they look like they can...they should hold Delta's passing game down. I'm hoping for a little scoring help from the D (a couple turnovers, maybe a int. return for a touchdown) but the O will have to perform to keep them off the field....I'm saying...

UND 27

Delta St. 20

The only thing I worry about with this game is a slow start, basically not be ready to play from the opening kickoff. UND has had a history of slow starts in many games, and if it happens in this game, I am not sure they will be able to recover.

Sioux come out ready to go UND-27 Delta-10

Sioux start slow UND-9 Delta-34

UND Defense= 10 (Interception for TD & 2 safties)

UND Offense= 39 (added PAT for above referenced TD)

Delta= 3 (desperation FG from 62 yds out)

Or.... maybe a close one, along the lines of 24-21. Sioux gotta come out hot and stay that way. Is it tomorrow yet? Go Sioux!

For anyone who's interested, here's the Delta St. press release. With a couple of exceptions, their offensive line is fairly small. Also, the quarterback must be really skinny since he's listed as 6'3", 175. It will be interesting to see if he can take a hit. Defensively, they have a fairly good sized d-line, and one pretty big linebacker, but the rest of the linebackers and db's are REALLY small. They average around 170 pounds in the secondary.

As with games in the past against unfamiliar opponents with high-powered offenses, i.e. UC-Davis and North Alabama, I would think the key is to shut down the running game, make them throw and get after the quarterback in a big way. I'm sure their receivers are good enough that if the qb has time, they'll get some plays. However, if the front seven can get to the quarterback and knock him around, I would think the Sioux defense can hold them to somewhere around 20 points. If the Sioux offense doesn't have any costly turnovers and the o-line plays relatively well, Bowenkamp and co. should be able to score more than 20.

UND 31, Delta St. 20

There is a write-up on this game in the Jackson Clarion-Ledger: Stern Test Greets Delta State

Liked this quote:

"They're very good, very well-coached,'' (Delta State) Rhoades said. "It's a team where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, they complement each other so well.''

Prediction: UND 24, Delta State 13

D with four turnovers and Donovan Alexander with big returns.