SiouxSports.com Forum

Lines for 2004-05

Kermit

Forwards:

1. Murray-Genoway-Bochenski

Can Colby do the job as the first-line center?

2. Porter-Zajac-Stafford

A lot of size, strength, speed and 2 first-round draft picks. Porter is an excellent complementary player who will do the dirty work.

3. Prpich-McMahon-Fylling

Strengths are experience and defensive ability. Could be used as a checking line. Prpich needs to avoid dumb penalties. McMahon is capable of a big senior year.

4. Fabian/Massen/Canady-Kaip-Spirko

Inexperience mixed with question marks.

Several seniors are at-risk of sitting unless they clearly win places in the lineup.

Defense:

1. Jones-Greene

Don't mess with this pairing!

2. Schneider-Radke

A possible pairing on the #1 powerplay.

3. Smaby-Fuher

Smaby improved greatly during last season. Fuher is under-rated and helps the powerplay.

4. Bina-Marvin.

It won't be easy to keep Bina out of the lineup. Marvin's versatility is a big asset. He could also play forward.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forwards:

1. Murray-Genoway-Bochenski

Can Colby do the job as the first-line center?

2. Porter-Zajac-Stafford

A lot of size, strength, speed and 2 first-round draft picks. Porter is an excellent complementary player who will do the dirty work.

Strengths are experience and defensive ability. Could be used as a checking line. Prpich needs to avoid dumb penalties. McMahon is capable of a big senior year.

Inexperience mixed with question marks.

Several seniors are at-risk of sitting unless they clearly win places in the lineup.

Defense:

1. Jones-Greene

Don't mess with this pairing!

2. Schneider-Radke

A possible pairing on the #1 powerplay.

3. Smaby-Fuher

Smaby improved greatly during last season. Fuher is under-rated and helps the powerplay.

4. Bina-Marvin.

It won't be easy to keep Bina out of the lineup. Marvin's versatility is a big asset. He could also play forward.

May I suggest Massen/Kaip/Spirko or something along that line.

Also sounds like Spirko is probably going to be more of a 2nd or 3rd line player

Unless I'm mistaken, Spirko was a two-time World Jr. participant. I think he will play 40+ games this season. That said:

Murray - Spirko - Bochenski

Zajac - Stafford - Porter

Prpich - McMahon - Fylling

Kaip - Genoway - Massen

Why not throw Spirko into the top line and really distribute the offense? Just an idea. This fourth line would be the best in the nation, IMO.

Unless I'm mistaken, Spirko was a two-time World Jr. participant. I think he will play 40+ games this season. That said:

Murray - Spirko - Bochenski

Zajac - Stafford - Porter

Prpich - McMahon - Fylling

Kaip - Genoway - Massen

Why not throw Spirko into the top line and really distribute the offense? Just an idea. This fourth line would be the best in the nation, IMO.

I don't think we should count on Spirko being ready for duty on a top line right out of the gate. If you put him on the ice with Bo and Murray, he will be lining up against the opponent's top guns. Tri-City listed him at 5'9" 175 lb. last year, so you can bet he's smaller than that. The kid has the offensive skills, but his defensive game may need time to develop.

Alright, line combo time. Last year I actually predicted the first line correctly!!! :0

1. Bochenski-Murray-Spirko

2. Porter-Stafford-Zajac

4. Genoway-Kaip-Massen

Those combos probably aren't gonna happen except the Prpich-McMahon-Fylling line. If you put Spirko on the first line that line is probably a little undersized, so maybe you put Stafford up there. But then if you have Stafford playing on the first line would you really want two Freshman in Zajac and Spirko playing with Porter or possibly Genoway.....I don't envy Hakstol. :lol:

I won't run down the whole roster, but...

Bochenski, Murray, Porter

I'd like to see Porter with these guys this season. He showed some brilliant moves last year, and might get a shot to play up top. Also, if he takes on the "dish-man role," we might see Murray lighting the bulb even more than we did last season, as he was usually playing as a complement to BB and ZP. Of course, Bo could play the dish-man role too... :lol:

We've got a great defense, but I hate our power play. It seems like nobody can get a quick release for that first shot from the point. Schneider seems like he wants to play with the puck, Greene isn't a shooter by nature, and Jones is many times too timid with the puck. Who can release this thing? Is Radke noted as a shooter? It's just frustrating watching the penalty killers block shot after shot... hopefully the new offense-minded assistant can get this thing rolling. :0

Personally, I'd like to see a first line of Bochenski and Murray centered by McMahon. I've always been impressed with McMahon's vision and his passing ability, throw in his faceoff skills and I think you could see Bucks and Murray put up some huge numbers.

I'd like to see Massen realize his potential this year (and James, throw that big body around a little more - get a little nasty).

Reading Grande Prairie's game summaries last year it seemed Radke scored a lot of goals on the power play. That's my impression anyway.

People are forgetting Canady. Brian had a better year last year than he's had. I think he can build on it this year if he wants to. A fresh change in the head coaching ranks might be just what rejuvenates guys like Massen and Canady.

McMahon is a great player, but so good defensively I hate to see him on a top scoring line. He plays his role so well. As I see people's line combo's I don't know if I'm even going to try. There's so many interesting options. Last year I was probably right for about 13 or 14 seconds of game time, so not sure I'll bother this year. Hak's got a lot of options to choose from.

It will be interesting to see if he'll play with the line combo's as much as Blais did, or if he'll stick with them longer to see what happens.

McMahon is a great player, but so good defensively I hate to see him on a top scoring line.

I wouldn't call McMahon a great player, but I do think he would be adequate on a big line if the team needed him. The team will probably be stronger overall if guys like Genoway and Zajac are highly productive and Rory can play a role similar to last year.

We've got a great defense, but I hate our power play.  It seems like nobody can get a quick release for that first shot from the point.  Schneider seems like he wants to play with the puck, Greene isn't a shooter by nature, and Jones is many times too timid with the puck.  Who can release this thing?  Is Radke noted as a shooter?  It's just frustrating watching the penalty killers block shot after shot... hopefully the new offense-minded assistant can get this thing rolling. :0

I think Schneider regressed last year. After his first two years, I thought he would be an All-American last year. His defensive play was pretty solid, but his offense and powerplay production took a huge nosedive. The Sioux need him to step up.

Reports on Radke indicate that he has great speed, a big shot, and good offensive instincts. If he adjusts quickly, he may be the best offensive-defenseman on the roster.

Jones is improving on the PP. He does have skills. I don't like Greene on the PP at all. Fuher is a much better PP option.

Reading Grande Prairie's game summaries last year it A fresh change in the head coaching ranks might be just what rejuvenates guys like Massen and Canady.

Massen and Canady have some positive attributes, for sure. I hope they have big years. If either or both are mediocre early in the season, I'd expect them to sit in the pressbox the second half. The Sioux will lose a lot of players after this season. I think if all else is equal (or even close), playing time will go to younger guys who have a future with the program.

I agree that McMahon has done a great job in the role he has played. I just think, based upon how many times I've seen him set-up less stellar finishers, that he would be great in the feeding department for a sniper like Bochenski.

If Radke pans out offensively, I'd like to see he and Fuher (I love his shot) on the PP.

I agree that McMahon has done a great job in the role he has played. I just think, based upon how many times I've seen him set-up less stellar finishers, that he would be great in the feeding department for a sniper like Bochenski.

If Radke pans out offensively, I'd like to see he and Fuher (I love his shot) on the PP.

Given Fuher's timely defensive goals on the powerplay in the past and his offensive capabilities and also based on the hype behind Radke, a Fuher-Radke PP pairing isn't all that unlikely, IMO.

I would say Jones-Schneider on the 1st PP line, Fuher-Radke on the second.