SiouxSports.com Forum

assistant coach

Kermit

I was trying to put a joke up about Berry being no one's hair apparent, but I couldn't find a picture of him anywhere. This site just has Hakstol's, and the coaches page on the UND official site is blank.

Anyway, if you aspire to progress in the coaching profession, being an assistant at UND is a good way to do it. Right or wrong, assistants at winning programs get the first look at jobs that open elsewhere. If Steve Johnson were to come here and succeed as an assistant, after a very successful USHL stint, his name would be among the first mentioned for most college job openings in the West. That's a reason for him to take it. Along with a few others, he seems to have everything this position needs.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief, Dagies, would you mind letting Dave Hakstol actually be the head guy for ONE game without worrying about grooming his heir apparent? Are you kidding me? It's not like Hakstol is 55 and ready to be pushed out the door.

Good grief, Dagies, would you mind letting Dave Hakstol actually be the head guy for ONE game without worrying about grooming his heir apparent?  Are you kidding me?  It's not like Hakstol is 55 and ready to be pushed out the door.

MafiaMan, read back a bit. I'm not the one who brought up the heir apparent questions. I agree with you.

Oh, I see jk already answered this.

In the spirit of "diversity" I'd like to see:

- an American

- a forward

- someone with UND ties (GF area and WCHA ties at a very minimum)

- someone with strong USHL connections

Sicatoka I meet 2 of your criteria, close enough?

I was trying to put a joke up about Berry being no one's hair apparent, but I couldn't find a picture of him anywhere. This site just has Hakstol's, and the coaches page on the UND official site is blank.

tn_UNDFamily.JPG

" ... hair apparent ... " (Ba-dump-bump. Ting!) :0

However, based on the look on the face of the third guy from the left in that photo, I wouldn't crack on him about his hair ... or anything else.

Woe be to the HS boys who someday show up at his door to take his daughters to prom .... :lol:

Capece, dagies. I'm just confused why people would even think that way. You're not grooming a successor to Hakstol a) in case he fails or b) in case he leaves. Pick an associate coach, not someone wo watch over Dave's shoulder and tell him what he would have done instead.

By the sounds of it, some clowns here would see the Sioux go 30-2 on the season, lose in the NCAA regionals, and they'd be calling for Hakstol's head on a platter. 7 titles in 50+ years, folks. It doesn't happen every day, that's why it's special when the stars align and everything comes together. Ask Maine in 1999 or Denver in 2003. Or the 1997 or 2000 Sioux.

If Hak & Berry - Like & will work as a team with Johnson....WOW!!! what a team that could be

But if there is doubt or competition between them find a younger guy

I hope Johnson comes on board it would make me VERY HAPPY :0

I would love Kallay to be added to the coaching staff....but can you imagine an entire Canadian coaching staff......Kallay was a great player and is a great coach that is evidence by his taking Drayton Valley to the Alberta Junior Championship in his first season as head coach...........he was great at UND but was vicitim of NCAA bs which cut his eligibility short at UND.

I would be suprised if Steve Johnson did not get the job. If I'm not mistaken, he was a foward and DH and BB were both defense. Johnson has experience in coaching and wants to move to UND. It sounds perfect. I don't think DH is worried about an heir apparent and is looking at the best coach to add to his staff. I truly believe it will be Johnson when all is said and done sitting (standing) on the bench this fall with Hasktol and Berry.

What a great staff that would be>

Reading one of the Minnesota HS message boards, they seem to think Eades has all but signed the contract to be the assistant coach.

As far as Johnson goes, he hasn't really made any indication what he plans on doing one way or another. I would like to see him in Lincoln for another year to bring the Stars back to their winning ways after the horrible season we had last year. But I would like to see him advance in his coaching career. I'm sure he'd make a nice fit at UND, heck, half the team played for him and the other half of the team played against him :0

In Sunday's Herald, Dave Hakstol confirms what my anonymous source told me.

"Contrary to what is posted on one Web site, I have not conducted any interviews at this point, and there won't be any until the application period is closed," Hakstol said.

But if someone said it, it must be true, right? :0

Reading one of the Minnesota HS message boards, they seem to think Eades has all but signed the contract to be the assistant coach.

As far as Johnson goes, he hasn't really made any indication what he plans on doing one way or another. I would like to see him in Lincoln for another year to bring the Stars back to their winning ways after the horrible season we had last year. But I would like to see him advance in his coaching career. I'm sure he'd make a nice fit at UND, heck, half the team played for him and the other half of the team played against him :0

Actually if Eades and Johnson are candidates both will take pay cuts to come coach at UND. The job is listed in the paper today and it says 48,000.00-53,000.00

I have heard Marvins pays Eases 60,000.00 to coach at Warroad, he is also the AD isn't he? If my memory serves me right doesn't Johnson make 150,000 in the USHL? Pay cuts of 100,000.00 is a lot of money...

Actually if Eades and Johnson are candidates both will take pay cuts to come coach at UND. The job is listed in the paper today and it says 48,000.00-53,000.00

I have heard Marvins pays Eases 60,000.00 to coach at Warroad, he is also the AD isn't he? If my memory serves me right doesn't Johnson make 150,000 in the USHL? Pay cuts of 100,000.00 is a lot of money...

So basically Johnson makes as much at Lincoln as Blais made at UND???

I haven't heard anyone mention this, but I've thought from day one that Toby Kvalevog would be a possible candidate for the assistant job. While I realize this may be a stretch, he is as old as Kallay, has UND ties, has been coaching at goalie camps since leaving UND, and would finally solve the problem of UND not having a full-time goalie coach.

Like I said, this is by no means a prediction this would/will happen, but it's a name that came to me right after Blais announced he was leaving.

I haven't heard anyone mention this, but I've thought from day one that Toby Kvalevog would be a possible candidate for the assistant job. While I realize this may be a stretch, he is as old as Kallay, has UND ties, has been coaching at goalie camps since leaving UND, and would finally solve the problem of UND not having a full-time goalie coach.

Like I said, this is by no means a prediction this would/will happen, but it's a name that came to me right after Blais announced he was leaving.

Having a goalie coach is all fine and dandy.. but im 99 percent sure whoever they bring in is going to be a former forward.

If he coaches better then he played I'm all for it, but if not. I would hate for him to ruin a perfectly good goalie. :lol::0

If he coaches better then he played I'm all for it, but if not. I would hate for him to ruin a perfectly good goalie. ;):lol:

According to Gopher fans, wasn't that Dean Blais' job? Someone has to pick up that load. :p:0

PCM's projected timeline makes sense. Imagine trying to move to Grand Forks at the same time all the students are coming in for fall classes.

An announcement early to mid-August would be my guess.

Good guess. :0

Herald

Hakstol said he's shooting for a date of Aug. 15 to have a coach hired. "I don't know if it's possible to do it any sooner," he said.

Sicatoka: I thought you'd provide that link. You're slippin'... :lol: