SiouxSports.com Forum

assistant coach

Kermit

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are his chances of taking the pay-cut?

I'll go out on a limb and say "slim"

I think we may be underestimating how much UND will offer Johnson. There are some deep pockets involved in the hockey program. That plus there may be some under the table hints that Johnson would be the frontrunner if Hakstol was to leave or not work out. Just some speculation, but who knows?

Just curious, why do they prefer that you have a master's degree to coach hockey? Does it really make a difference?

I suspect they want the Master's degree so that the coach can also teach in the Phy Ed Dept. at the college level which I do not believe they allow a BA to do.

Don't get me wrong about Johnson. I think he would make a great assistant.

Now that I see the salary involved, it's not as much of a cut as I had thought. So, with that in mind. You take the high end of 53,000 (probably take 60K). Throw in some incentives like you say, it could happen.

plus, it would get him back home............

Now that I see the salary involved, it's not as much of a cut as I had thought. So, with that in mind. You take the high end of 53,000 (probably take 60K). Throw in some incentives like you say, it could happen.

...and he doesn't have to hang out in those hockey hotbeds of Sioux City or Lincoln every weekend.

My understanding is that Johnson's comp package is over six figures in Lincoln. Unless a boatload of "variable comp" is involved, it ain't happening.

The assistant job is posted. Assumably it'll be posted for external applicants. (Who else internal is there to apply?) We know what the posting says, but what are Sioux fans looking for in a new assistant.

Hak and Berry are Canadian defensemen.

In the spirit of "diversity" I'd like to see:

- an American

- a forward

- someone with UND ties (GF area and WCHA ties at a very minimum)

- someone with strong USHL connections

I'm sure Dave Hakstol is printing this right now to use this as a criteria sheet. :lol::0

What does the rest of the panel of experts think are important qualities for the new assistant?

What does the rest of the panel of experts think are important qualities for the new assistant?

Since I'm being consulted on this decision, here's my thoughts.

Hakstol is a new D1 head coach. He's been a head coach in the USHL but not at this level. He's had a lot of responsibility under Blais, but he's had someone else's aura to back him up. Now, the load rests on his shoulders.

Hakstol needs to be successful. That's plain to read.

I believe he needs to hire an assistant coach who will bring ready credibility with him. Someone with an established reputation. Someone who will help bring respect and stability to the coaching staff. Names like Johnson, Eades, Hastings fit that bill, if we can get them. I'm sure there are others out there that I'm not aware of that would too.

Names like Kallay, Davidson, Gasparini don't excite me as much. Don't get me wrong. They might make mighty fine coaches. I don't know anything about them. But they don't have the track record that the aforementioned candidates possess.

Right now Hakstol needs to hire someone who will help develop him as the head coach. Not someone he has to develop as an assistant coach.

Right now Hakstol needs to hire someone who will help develop him as the head coach. Not someone he has to develop as an assistant coach.

Ummm...I'd prefer to have someone who will help develop the TEAM, not the HEAD COACH.

I believe that Johnson and Eades are the only two under serious consideration. Johnson likely gets the first shot, but boy is money an issue. I've heard $125-$150K also with bonus and incentives. Hak may not have gotten that.

So then UND turns to Eades. Throw in a hockey school or two and he can match what he's making at Warroad $65-75K plus the hockey school. Rather a no-brainer for him, as most high schools can't offer that, and he's done all he can do in Warroad. The only problem for birdie is that he's running out of time to get set in GF before school.

Now, assuming someone with $ helps sweeten the package for Johnson, it appears that Eades is ready to take over his action in Lincoln. Would be the smartest move all around. Johnson becomes the heir apparent (should've been this time) and Eades gets set up in a program where he can coach/gm until he retires. North Dakota passing him over this time, probably shuts the door on a major hockey job. :0

Ummm...I'd prefer to have someone who will help develop the TEAM, not the HEAD COACH.

I agree. I'd prefer to see a young guy hired who has excellent potential as a future Sioux head coach. Hakstol is the head coach. He doesn't need an assistant telling him how to fill the role. It would only lead to problems.

Talked to Johnson at the Sioux-per-swing at the GFCC monday...he's interested...VERY interested!! (PLUS HE LOOKS LIKE JEFF PANZERS DAD!!!) My guess is Steve will get it - with sincere regrets to Lincoln...but Steve has his career to think about too and he can't stay in the USHL forever. Other WCHA jobs will open up over the next few years (perhaps even at UND) and Steve needs to get his foot in the college door just like Dean was looking to get his foot in the NHL door before "it's too late"

PS - Eades doesn't see to fit the "chemistry" of coaching a team like the Sioux. He's a "live or die -- I"M THE HEAD COACH" type of guy....I can't see him being the 2nd assistant on a college team when he could go the USHL and run the show from the get go....

Talked to Johnson at the Sioux-per-swing at the GFCC monday...he's interested...VERY interested!! (PLUS HE LOOKS LIKE JEFF PANZERS DAD!!!) My guess is Steve will get it - with sincere regrets to Lincoln...but Steve has his career to think about too and he can't stay in the USHL forever. Other WCHA jobs will open up over the next few years (perhaps even at UND) and Steve needs to get his foot in the college door just like Dean was looking to get his foot in the NHL door before "it's too late"

PS - Eades doesn't see to fit the "chemistry" of coaching a team like the Sioux. He's a "live or die -- I"M THE HEAD COACH" type of guy....I can't see him being the 2nd assistant on a college team when he could go the USHL and run the show from the get go....

If Johnson did take the assistant position at UND that would be HUGE!!! Talk about getting your cake and eating it too.

Johnson was on WDAZ this weekend and said that he would be very interested in the job at UND and would love to move back to Grand Forks. He and his family still consider Grand Forks home. Did anyone else see this interview? It left no doubt in my mind that he would take the job if offered it and that he had definately applied.

Johnson was on WDAZ this weekend and said that he would be very interested in the job at UND and would love to move back to Grand Forks. He and his family still consider Grand Forks home. Did anyone else see this interview? It left no doubt in my mind that he would take the job if offered it and that he had definately applied.

Yes, I saw it also. He said flat-out that he is very interested in the job. Since I can only assume that he's well aware of what an assistant coach makes compared to what his current salary is, it certainly sounds like he is willing to take a pay cut in order to come back to GF.

Let me try to be more clear.

I'm not suggesting Hakstol needs someone to tell him how to be a head coach.

What I'm saying is that Hakstol, right now, needs coaches who will best assist him to WIN right now. He doesn't have the luxury of having a winning reputation as a head coach. He doesn't have the slack that might allow him to hire an aspiring coach and develop them. He needs an established coach to help the program as a whole right now.

As per other comments about Johnson being hired as the heir apparent, or developing an assistant who can be the heir apparent. What about our current Associate Head Coach? Why can't he be the heir apparent?

The last thing any new head coach needs is an "heir apparent." I don't think too many assistant coaches would join a new head coach's staff for that reason. If the team is successful, the new head coach will probably be around for a good number of years. If the team fails, the whole staff will be in trouble.

I agree with some previous posters about the program's needs for the coaching staff:

*recruiting skill and energy

*contacts with the USHL, MN HS hockey, etc. are essential

*preferably an American, an all-Canadian staff could be a negative for some

*on ice, expertise in coaching forwards

*compatible personality/philosophy with the rest of the staff

*familiarity with the WCHA

*UND ties are a plus, but not essential (we've already got Hakstol and Berry)

On paper, Steve Johnson is the ideal candidate. I am sure that there are others who would do a great job.

There is certainly recent precedent for experienced USHL head coaches moving to NCAA assistant positions--Motzko and Osiecki come immediately to mind.

How about adding a goaltending coach?